Motoring Discussion > Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Hacko Replies: 36

Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Hacko
My ’08 A3 Sportback, like many other makes, has nowhere to store spectacles safely - a sad omission. I’d like to instal, maybe to or on top of the dashboard, a holder designed to do the job: not a clip held on the visor, a tray or a soft pouch type thingy, but a stiff tube shape (preferably lined) that protects. The ideal, I suppose, would be one from a car maker (maybe French?) that builds one (in the roof lining or wherever), if the item can be bought separately, of course. Any ideas, please, on which make/model would fit the bill? Have Googled for accessories but canna see owt suitable there!

thanks
EH
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Avant
Strange, isn't it, that you pay £'000s more for an Audi but it doesn't have a basic coinvenience like this which is standard on a humble Skoda (above the screen between the sunvisors on mine).
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Zero
get one of the renault ones that fits where the grab handle would be on the drivers side.

Grab handle mounting hole placement tend to be universal. If you get a cheap one from ebay you haven't lost much if it doesn't work.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Runfer D'Hills
Or, it could be that the assumption within VAG is that those who buy Skodas probably need glasses...

:-)

Kind Regards
Joe King
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Old Navy
>> get one of the renault ones that fits where the grab handle would be on
>> the drivers side.
>>
>> Grab handle mounting hole placement tend to be universal. If you get a cheap one
>> from ebay you haven't lost much if it doesn't work.
>>

Ford do one, my Mk2 focus had a holder where the grab handle would be fitted in LHD car.

You could buy a Ceed, they have them fitted between the sun visors. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 19:34
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - CGNorwich
>> Strange, isn't it, that you pay £'000s more for an Audi but it doesn't have
>> a basic coinvenience like this which is standard on a humble Skoda (above the screen
>> between the sunvisors on mine).

My Octavia also has a handy cubby hole in the middle of the dash for a further pair of specs.

No facilities for walking stick and hearing aid though :-)

Special drawer for spare cardigans?
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - CGNorwich
Special drawer for spare cardigans?

Actually yes - Under the front passenger seat. Owned the car for a year before I found it
Plastic waterproof seat cover?
Nah, those are for old duffer's Jap cars.
Ours are in crimplene. Pastal colours.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Mike Hannon
This old duffer's Jap car has a door pocket that easily holds prescription sunglasses in a hard case, a parking disc and a pair of string-backed gloves.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - borasport

>> My Octavia also has a handy cubby hole in the middle of the dash for
>> a further pair of specs.

Naa, that's for your Werthers' Originals.....
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Manatee
Sometimes the lower spec versions of the same car get more cubbies etc where they are missing something else. When I bought the second CRV2, I lost the sunglasses holder, replaced by volume sensors for the more sophisticated alarm, and the cubby below the DIN sized radio, replaced by a double DIN satnav unit. I really missed the sunglasses holder.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Londoner
The Good news- On my car, there's a unit fixed to the roof between the two front seats which contains overhead lighting . . . and . . . a sunglasses holder!

The Bad News - It's not big enough to hold a decent pair of adult sunglasses. A child's would fit, maybe.

It's a common enough gripe on Audi forums. Almost a standing joke.
Audi drivers wear them on top of their heads when not in use. Even the bald ones which looks even sillier.

Mind you, I do it too and what's more I have mine on a Croakie.

croakies.com/
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Londoner
With my sheltered life I'd never heard of croakies.
Cool! Sub-zero, in fact.
Too kind !

I have several. used them for years. My favourite, which I happen to have on at this very, is black and has a white edelweiss print on it.

Yes its good to be in touch with ones feminine side....
I wouldn't expect you to understand. You were prepared to advise Rob to wear boat shoes with a linen suit for goodness sake !

Lord above !

As if he is going to take advice from an iron with his glasses on a string like larry grayson.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 20:06
Still don't get it do you?

Bless !
Larry Greyson used to say bless as well.
I'll bow to your greater knowledge and clear interest in the man then. He never made so much of an impact on me. Fair enough, it is after all the 21st century now and all that. Nothing to be ashamed of. Perfectly normal. Not my thing in truth but happy enough to let others get on with their lives as they choose and so on...

Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Manatee
>> Mind you, I do it too and what's more I have mine on a Croakie.

Must it be a Croakie? Are they acceptable on ordinary specs? We do look to you for advice on these matters you know.

I was choosing spectacles at Costco the other day and asked the dispenser which style were most resistant to damage when worn on the bonce and smacked into the car roof getting in and out. My current ones are permanently the wrong shape. Problem is I don't need to drive in them, I have eyes like a shouthouse rat beyond about 3 feet so I'm always taking them on and off.

I asked tentatively if I should contemplate a "string" and got a very pitying look.
Oh yes absolutely Manatee. What's more, you'll get knowing looks from others in on it all. Take no notice of the fat controller. Out of his depth on this one...

Incidentally, sober hued plain ones are probably best at first, but in time one gains the confidence for more adventurous designs. They are absolutely not for the purpose of dangling but to facilitate the holding on of eyewear in extremis and to safely allow the casual positioning of same atop the cranium as you exactly describe.

You'll never look back y'know.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Kevin
>Must it be a Croakie?

I thought it was only with suede loafers?

Never go sailing without one though - there's a lobster in the Solent wearing a pair of Ray-ban that were once mine.

>>Never go sailing without one though

Quite so Kevin. Or indeed when skiing, mountain biking or driving an open car for example.

The more garish the design the better of course.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - WillDeBeest
Sometimes the lower spec versions of the same car get more cubbies etc where they are missing something else.

Top-spec versions of the Verso had a pop-up nav screen on top of the dash. Our mid-range T3 made do with a useful pot to put things in - it was good for house keys and adequate for sunglasses - although it had a fiddly catch and a nasty thin-skinned lid. To paraphrase the Georgia Satellites, I don't miss that car and if I did I wouldn't let it show.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Shiny
Ebay search "golf sunglass holder" and "beetle sunglass holder" - do you think either of these will fit where your driver's grab-handle is?
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Mon 25 Jun 12 at 10:02
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - BobbyG
hacko my Seat Altea has a sunglasses holder where the driver's grab handle would be.

Might be worth a punt as many of the VAG cars share many features!
Also google audi a3 sunglasses holder and this is throwing up some alternatives as well
>> hacko my Seat Altea has a sunglasses holder where the driver's grab handle would be.
>>
>> Might be worth a punt as many of the VAG cars share many features!

that will fit, the mounting holes spacing will be uniform across the VW group.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Hacko
thanks for that (and all other suggestions ... love occasional thread drift!). Am currently bidding on a VAG one on eBay.
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - Oldgit
My Golf MK6 has a hinged lid holder for something in the roof between the sun visors. I have tried various glasses in there, especially sun glasses or small mobile phones but you have to look up and fumble with the catch to then have everything come down and smash on the gear lever or surroundings and may cause you to have an accident.
Alright in theory but in practice, ill thought out. Maybe a Mars bar could be secreted here but would hate to think of the consequences if left there on a hot day - do we have those any more?
Missus has that on her Beetle - uses it for her supply of wine gums !
 Audi A3 + S3 - spectacles holder - henry k
>> Missus has that on her Beetle - uses it for her supply of wine gums !
>>
Now this is getting serious. I too need to protect my supply of wine gums that are a must for longer trips.:-)
Latest Forum Posts