Motoring Discussion > Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 26

Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Manatee
From the Daily Mail.

goo.gl/8P4f4
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Pat
When you exit a roundabout a little too fast with a wagon and drag, the drag always tends to get a wiggle on.

Pat
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Dave_
Gotta have been some issue with the load's weight distribution, although to be in the outside lane there (just after the McDs roundabout by the looks of it) he must have been cracking on a bit.

I saw the aftermath of a separated wagon and drag on the M6 once, amazingly the trailer had come to rest on a very wide grassy section of central reservation without hitting anything.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 21:10
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Bromptonaut
One or two roundabouts on the A50 have an adverse camber and have caution signs for tipping risk.
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Zero
I betz willie wouldn't have done it.
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Fullchat
Slow rollover phenomenon?
Is that something to do with the national lottery?
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Fullchat
Some bedtime reading Z if you are suffering from insomnia :)

www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr098.pdf
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 22:45
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Number_Cruncher
>>www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr098.pdf

There is a UK based research group at a respected University who have done a lot of good quality work on heavy vehicle dynamics. It's notable that this report doesn't even reference the work.

If the report were correct, the Micra crushing accident as shown in the link would not have happened.

On a fussy note, the paper repeats that rollover is governed by "the laws of physics" - what possible alternative were they thinking of?, divine intervention?
Thanks for that link Fullchat, very interesting for me as I know the firms involved and all the local roads, as well as the bridge on the road to Louth.

NC, would that be Michael Coyle at Huddesfield University?

Pat
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Number_Cruncher
I was thinking of this research group;

www-cvdc.eng.cam.ac.uk/

Here's the publication list of the group's leading light

www-cvdc.eng.cam.ac.uk/Publications_Cebon

Most of the HSE paper is OK, but, there are a few areas in there where I really don't agree with it.

Obviously, in broad terms, the conclusions of the paper, i.e., reduce the height of the centre of gravity; secure the load properly; go slowly through roundabouts are OK.

For me, the big problem with the paper is that being conducted on public roads, under test conditions, there were no extreme events. Far better to test on a test track under more extreme conditions (like the MIRA testing). The reason being that the response is highly non-linear - you can't extrapolate test results under tame conditions to the response at the edge.
>> I betz willie wouldn't have done it.

Norbert Dentressangle took over the UK operations of Christian Salvesen a few years ago, they shift a lot of fresh food for Tesco. Many hundreds of UK-registered ND lorries on the roads.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 22:39
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - RattleandSmoke
If its a supermarket run and the driver is running late, I guess they may get lazy and not bother to re-arrange the trailer to make sure the weight is equal. Must be under a lot of pressure with aerate planners and trying to make sure you don't go over the maximum driving hours too.

While I can see the appeal of being a truck driver, I think you must have to be a mad to enjoy it.
Hang on there Rattle, don't always assume that the driver is 'lazy' because he didn't 'bother' to re-arrange the trailer.

The trailer on any supermarket run consists of 1 ton pallets, so how do you suggest a driver would re-arrange them?

A trailer loaded for a muti drop run is loaded with a loading plan which takes into account the order of drops and weight distribution as they come off, and as such, wouldn't need re-arranging.

I also suspect the drag trailer in this case was empty, otherwise far more damage would have been done to the car and driver.

Pat
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - teabelly
The one in Meir has an adverse camber warning. Doesn't stop numpties tanking round it and throwing their lorries over though. The roundabout is tight. It really needs one of those speed warning things to make sure the really dense ones realise they actually have to slow down and it's not just one of those slow for no reason warnings that often spring up. They've put a sign with the number of rollovers it has had recently. Think it is either 3 or 5.

Bit weird this one as this roundabout is fairly flat from what I remember. Looks like they got as far as the on slip road for the Shell station going towards Stoke before it tipped over.

>>it's not just one of those slow for no reason warnings that often spring up<<

So, isn't the answer to remove all of the 'no reason' signs which clutter up our roads and make the important ones invisible?

Might make life easier for the really dense car drivers as well.

Pat
yes there is far to much road furniture, information overload. Studies have proved that if you remove all road furniture and most warning signs the real hazards become very much clearer and drivers much more circumspect.

The road safety lobby went apoplectic at the thought.
>> When you exit a roundabout a little too fast with a wagon and drag, the drag always tends to get a wiggle on.

>> Pat

Followed a car transporter full of Range Rover Sports down the M1 at lunchtime, the back half (2 cars on top, 1 below) started snaking and it took the driver a good 6 or 7 swings to quell the pendulum motion. The trailer section was probably on its weight limit, heavy cars those.

I hung well back, I was towing with a Hilux and wanted plenty of space to stop myself!
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Avant
I would like to think an Eddie Stobart lorry wouldn't have done that.
Eddie Stobart programmes only tend to show what the they want the public to see. There was one episode in which Stobart was to made to look very silly, by sending out a driver who wasn't trained how to use the trailer on a super market run. The result was the driver didn't have the right cable when she got to Tesco and the delivery ended up being very late.

I have a relative who has just retired from a very different job, as apart of his job he acquired lots of driving licences. Lets just say his opinion of Stobart is they are no different from the rest of the truck companies, they just spent a hell of a lot more on paying for an image. He was a bit vague but I think he was hinting that he has stopped a few of their drivers if you get my drift.

Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - jc2
Looking at the photo in the paper,something doesn't look right;more as tho' the car suddenly stopped and the truck tried to swerve round it!
>>The result was the driver didn't have the right cable when she got to Tesco and the delivery ended up being very late.
>>

Part of the drivers daily walk round check routine is to see that all the equipment needed for that days work is on board and working properly.

Drivers responsibility, end of story.

If she was worried about not having been trained on that type of trailer, she should have refused to take it out.

If company policy was that training had to take place on every different type of trailer (as it is in some big firms), then company policy would also state that you don't use any equipment without training.

>>opinion of Stobart is they are no different from the rest of the truck companies<<

He's correct....they are in business to make money.

Good luck to him for leading the way in raising the image of road transport.

Pat
I am not sure about that, but I suppose having an HGV licence meant he wasn't afraid to stop lorry drivers if they were doing something obviously wrong or he suspect it was over weight etc.

I think in the case of this lorry driver on the cable, the point was that she didn't even know she needed a cable to operate the lift until she got to Tesco. Yes she probably should have refused to do the job but then could she have got into trouble in an unofficial sort of way? E.g get given one of the worst jobs.

I think they have cleaned up their act a bit now but one of the major bus companies in Manchester didn't like it if a driver refused to take a bus out they could make things quite difficult. The result was it was common to travel on buses with breaks warning lights all over the dash due to faulty air pressure.

Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - TheManWithNoName
A roof chopped lowered Micra looks quite cool but there must be cheaper ways to customise it.

Mind you it could have looked like this

tinyurl.com/6vlautv
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - Avant
Volvo were not so far off that themselves with the hideous 262 'coupe' in the 1970s.
 Norbert Dentressangle squashes Micra - apm
Never heard of a Volvo 262, so here's one

tinyurl.com/7rwpb6z

I actually sort of like it...
>>Good luck to him for leading the way in raising the image of road transport.<<

I meanst Eddie Stobart:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts