Motoring Discussion > THIS is a Motorhome! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 19

THIS is a Motorhome! - Dog
Just the ticket to conduct oneself through these economically challenging times, maybe.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2166028/Property-developer-spends-11-000-turning-double-decker-bus-new-home-priced-housing-market.html
 THIS is a Motorhome! - mikeyb
I imagine now that the Mail have run this story it wont be long until the council say he cant just stick it on a piece of land and live it.
 THIS is a Motorhome! - zookeeper
cant he park it up at a bus stop?
 THIS is a Motorhome! - Slidingpillar
I know it's the Daily Wail, but I'd not have thought he needed a bus drivers licence if the vehicle was correctly registered. IMHO it now should be PLG, despite the weight and size.

Road tax for a bus that size is £330 or £500 (depends on seating capacity) and from what I recall, taking seats out does not reduce the tax bill, unless you get it reclassified.
I know of plenty of not-quite legal sites down ere, such as this one: goo.gl/maps/u4li near where we used to live.

Apart from the weed smokers, many of the peeps have families and their kyds go to local schools, so the council can't easily get rid of them, without re homing them.

I know of sites where peeps have bought a few acres, stuck their static on there, and rent out pitches to like minded folk, they are not gypsies or new-age-travellers as such, just people who choose to live an alternative lifestyle.

goo.gl/maps/kpWZ
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 29 Jun 12 at 15:47
 THIS is a Motorhome! - mikeyb
>> I know of sites where peeps have bought a few acres, stuck their static on
>> there, and rent out pitches to like minded folk, they are not gypsies or new-age-travellers
>> as such, just people who choose to live an alternative lifestyle.
>>

Isn't that how Dale Farm started :-)

I don't really have a problem with that, but I can understand how these things can escalate and become problem neighbors.
 THIS is a Motorhome! - jc2
Twenty years ago,I saw a bendy bus that had been turned into a mobile home-it was stuck on a hump-back bridge-just as a double-decker would be limited by low bridges.
>>Isn't that how Dale Farm started :-)<<

Good point mikey!

No one (yet) has built any permanent structures though, here's another one that I know of goo.gl/maps/UqIL

The land is owned by a woman who lets like-mined souls site their statics there (for a fee) been there for years now, who knows what fate has in store for us in the coming years :)

THIS is a Motorhome! - RattleandSmoke
I have wanted to this for a while and I am sure I have even made threads on it. The problem is living in it on a rent plot of land isn't strictly legal. There are massive planning permission issues and this the main reason I have not gone down this route.

It is the same with a static, you can buy them cheap but where you put them?

In fact when I made the thread, I am sure I was told something to the effects of "I am stupid".

Edit not read the entire article, but where does the bus get its electricity from? Surely it needs to be connected to the national grid rather rely on a generator/the bus engine?
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 29 Jun 12 at 17:29
>>where does the bus get its electricity from? Surely it needs to be connected to the national grid rather rely on a generator/the bus engine?<<

"The heating of the vehicle runs on diesel while the rest of the bus is powered by battery or by connecting to a mains plug".
Not really much of a long term solution, a £3000 bus even at 1991 will be clapped out, its cheap because no other operator thinks its worth running, when the will have up to 2017 to legally operate it (from then high floor buses will not be able to operate in passanger service due to the disability laws).

They seem to have spent too much on it for it to be a short term solution too.
 THIS is a Motorhome! - Bigtee
Plenty of old railway carriages have been converted to sleeping accomadation so why not a bus only downside is the vehicles maintenance up keep as it will need some cash spending on should he want to drive it.

Or why not move north houses in Halifax 2 bedroom through terrace £65k damn cheaper than the south and we need sparkys up here!!
Not just a southern thing, 2k houses can fetch over £200k here.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38336714.html

Just a few minutes walk from my house that is, £250k for a two up two down and it comes complete with a game, called compete for your parking space.

I would imagine even by Halifax standards that £65k house must be in a slightly less desirable area to be that cheap.
Here's a conversion for you Big T, and Mr Z: www.cloughtonstation.co.uk/railway.html
 THIS is a Motorhome! - MD
Surely you miss the point Rats.
Not really, house prices simply are not a north south thing. It depends on so many factors although there is a general trend of prices being higher down south.

And then of course people won't want to move away from family etc. I could probably afford to buy a flat in Blackburn for example, but there is a reason the houses there are cheap.
 THIS is a Motorhome! - Pat
A friend of hours bought this a few years ago.....here is the result of a lot of hard work.

www.facebook.com/yasmin.greenbus#!/yasmin.greenbus

Pat
I'm not on mugtome but, where do they park these critters I wonder, and what'll she do to the gallon guv?

I wouldn't mind 'doing' one and parking it up on Lud's land or something, but to lug the blimmin thing around isn't my idea of joy.

I had enough with my Hymer ... never again!
 THIS is a Motorhome! - Duncan
>> I had enough with my Hymer ... never again!
>>

My BIL has a Hymer; thinks it's the BKs!
I had one of the older shape ones with a Mercedes engine, all very nice, but it wasn't for me.

I'd prefer (I think) a caravan so y'all can park the thing up and then go out n' about in the car.
Latest Forum Posts