Motoring Discussion > New engines and oil use Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 6

New engines and oil use - RattleandSmoke
I have mentioned this before about my Panda 1.1 FIRE using a bit oil. Well since the last service in late April it hasn't used any oil what so ever and I have done about 1000 miles since then. It is now on 9550 (roughly) so why would it take so long for the valve seals etc to finally settle?

Could it also be because I am using it a lot more and that engines in general don't like not being used?

Incidentally the Hyundai is on 2500 miles and hasn't used any oil what so ever.

New engines and oil use - Manatee
Not the valves seals it's the bores. You seem to have run it in. Well done :-)

In my company car days when I was doing a few miles I always treated them gently for 100 miles then drove normally, which in those days was usually quite hard. None of them used any oil to speak of.
 New engines and oil use - Bigtee
Now mine has past 22k it's loosened up and it's more responsive plus this warmer weather helps.

Do you often take the revs up high through the gears like 4-5000 rpm?
 New engines and oil use - Stuartli
Over the past 20 years I've had four VW Jettas (one the Bora version) and none of them have ever used any oil nor suffered any leaks in between services. The first one, a four-speed 1.3, already had 66.5k on the speedometer when I bought it.
 New engines and oil use - DP
My 320d has the same MAX dipstick reading at 6000 miles as it had when delivered. Although the responses to my previous thread on the subject suggest this might be due to diesel finding its way into the sump as a result of the DPF system, at precisely the same rate as the oil is being consumed.

Anyway, the end result is no top ups have been needed, and if things continue as they are, neither are they likely to be needed.

It was run in quite carefully to the spirit of the running in rules, and now it does get its legs stretched quite regularly once everything is up to temperature.
 New engines and oil use - Zero
>
>> It was run in quite carefully to the spirit of the running in rules, and
>> now it does get its legs stretched quite regularly once everything is up to temperature.

when it working that is.....
 New engines and oil use - DP
>> when it working that is.....

Yeah, that helps ;-)
Latest Forum Posts