Motoring Discussion > Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 16

Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Falkirk Bairn
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-18663555

Very sad for the family for what was to be a son's 21st birthday treat
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - mikeyb
Very sad.

Its not clear to me from the link if he hired it as a rental car, or was taking place in a track day type activity
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - NortonES2
Seems to have been on Woodford Aerodrome, Chester Road SK7 1AG. Only "airfield" nearby.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Ted

He'd hired it for treat........there's a Lambo main agent in Stockport, so presumably from them.

Woodford has a long runway, formerly British Aerospace, Used to see Nimrods and Guppies going in and out.

Very sad for all concerned.....I wouldn't touch anything like that now, getting too old.

Ted
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Iffy
More here, including a pic of a very bent Lambo:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167183/Father-dies-flipping-Lamborghini-garden-100mph-21st-birthday-treat-son.html
Can one insure a car for racing around an aerodrome?

If not, the family will have a very large bill to add to their bereavement.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Armel Coussine
>>I wouldn't touch anything like that now, getting too old.

I'm quite old too, but I wouldn't shrink from driving one with due caution. Having never driven anything at more than 120 though I would want long familiarization before exploring the upper reaches of its performance capability.

I suspect a lot of these supercar crashes on the road occur when drivers get gung-ho and very heavy-footed after a few cautious miles with the thing driving along as if on rails. Then they accidentally unleash 400bhp in second gear on a damp corner and go straight up a tree sideways. A careful right toe is obviously crucial with these (slightly silly) machines.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Alastairw
Per Wednesday's Stockport Express, they had been allowed to use the runway 'at there own risk'. Whether that means the car was insured for that type of use is another thing. Still very sad for all concerned.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - mikeyb
Tracks and Airfields are usually exclusions from motor insurance.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - R.P.
Makes no difference now - The dealers may draw a line under it rather than sue the estate of the now deceased hirer..
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Zero
Bet the family sue the dealer for letting him have it?
...Bet the family sue the dealer for letting him have it?...

Can't see on what grounds, although quotes from the family say he was going in a straight line.

This may be an attempt to portray him as 'not irresponsible', or it may be laying the ground for 'Lambo killed our dad'.

Either way, I can't see the dealer writing off the cost of the car purely because the person who destroyed it is now dead.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Mapmaker
Well, the cost will at least be deductible for IHT purposes.

You can of course obtain insurance for track days. If I were the lambo dealer I'd insist on it.
...Well, the cost will at least be deductible for IHT purposes...

Which proves every cloud has a lining, if not a silver one.

Most families would have to sell their house to raise £100K+ in cash - I would.

But the widow and son will probably want to continue living in it.

It is to be hoped he had life insurance or some sort of death in service pension benefit to enable them to meet his obligation.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Slidingpillar
Track day insurance is included in some classic policies, and not others. I imagine normal policies show a similar variation. No idea what cover the driver had, but there is no way of knowing unless somebody says, what was, and what was not included.

I would have thought the lender of the car proposed or insisted upon proper cover, but that is perhaps wishful thinking.

Follow up stories when all is done and dusted rarely occur unless there is a court case.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - rtj70
You usually have to provide a very large deposit when hiring cars like this. I wouldn't assume the car came from the dealer, although there obviously is one in Stockport for this marque.

One car hire place I got a van from once had a Ferrari for hire too. I asked how much just out of curiosity and was told it was something like £4k for the weekend. You also had to give a £25k deposit and insure it yourself. So it cost a lot for a weekend!
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Birthday treat ends in death of 58 yo father of 4 - Armel Coussine
The annoying thing about the OP story is that there is no indication of what actually happened. Was there something wrong with the car, or did the driver do something foolish?

Whatever happened, it's a terribly sad story. That poor boy will suffer from guilt for ever.
Latest Forum Posts