Motoring Discussion > Bus lane - Games Lane Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

Bus lane - Games Lane - Zero
Games lanes to start soon.....

A penalty charge of £130 will be issued to owners of vehicles who break the regulations, including driving in Games Lanes or stopping along the route.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18664236

Bus lane - Games Lane - devonite
]Must be good being a "Londoner"! - most of you will get the fines, the upheaval, the delays and jams and all the extra expenses and other inconveniences these events bring and never even get to see them, unless it`s on the telly!
If any Host country breaks even after hosting things like these, it`ll be a wonder in itself!
 Bus lane - Games Lane - Alastairw
We don't have games lanes up here. You do feel pretty conspicuous in the marked 3 series though - I could see people staring at us on the M60 this afternoon. As I was in the back I waved in a vip fashion at them.
 Bus lane - Games Lane - Fursty Ferret
What's not so impressive is that I've had to cough up £70 for a hotel next Monday because the road at the end of my estate is closed for the torch coming through.

Would have thought Aylesbury has already seen its fair share of people in tracksuits setting fire to things, but who am I to criticise?
 Bus lane - Games Lane - Mapmaker
>>If any Host country breaks even after hosting things like these, it`ll be a wonder in itself!

Crazy, isn't it. I don't understand why it costs anything to put events like these on; we already have plenty of stadia, swimming pools, running tracks etc. Why a whole new city of them in Stratford? With an admitted-to cost of £10bn ish.
 Bus lane - Games Lane - PhilW
"admitted-to cost of £10bn ish."
but !!
"Originally slated to cost about £2.4bn, Olympic costs jumped to £9.3bn by 2007. The National Audit Office noted that public-sector funding has almost tripled, while private-sector contributions dwindled to less than 2%. Recently, the House of Commons' public accounts committee revealed costs were "heading for around £11bn". Meanwhile, Olympics critic Julian Cheyne of Games Monitor calculates costs at £13bn. A Sky Sports investigation included public transport upgrade costs, catapulting the five-ring price tag to £24bn."
See
www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/04/price-of-london-olympics

Bus lane - Games Lane - R.P.
www.theonlinemail.co.uk/bangor-and-anglesey-news/local-bangor-and-anglesey-news/2012/04/11/twenty-yard-bus-lane-blamed-for-ruining-trade-in-llangefni-66580-30736792/

We had a bus lane in a neighbouring town. I breached it. The council idiots that came up with it have had to back down. Loads of motorists have been done I suppose they'll get their money back now.

Another success for the five year plan in the Soviet Republic that Anglesey seems to have become.
 Bus lane - Games Lane - Ted

We have a short bus lane here. Main road, wide enough for one lane each way with parking on one side. Bus lane put in southbound with southbound lane next to it in middle of road.
Northbound lane is the one where everyone parks......and still parks.

So southbound traffic is forced into the bus lane to let northbound traffic get through.

Nice bit of planning...........cretins !

Ted

>> A Sky Sports investigation included public transport upgrade costs, catapulting the five-ring price tag to
>> £24bn."

So the upgraded public transport gets taken away after the games? No it doesn't. They have thrown a the costs for modernising the London Undergound into the mix
 Bus lane - Games Lane - Fursty Ferret

>> So the upgraded public transport gets taken away after the games? No it doesn't. They
>> have thrown a the costs for modernising the London Undergound into the mix
>>

If you call dragging the Piccadilly line from the 17th to the 19th century modernising...
I will have you know, they plan to run a steam train through part of the tube next year....

(Thats true btw)
 Bus lane - Games Lane - TeeCee
>> I will have you know, they plan to run a steam train through part of
>> the tube next year....
>>
>> (Thats true btw)
>>

Well, the underground used to be steam-hauled when it first started. That's why the older bits have a larger loading gauge and tunnels. They used to use condenser tank engines, which divert the exhaust steam into the side tanks to condense, leaving only the firebox products vented to the tunnel. This made them somewhat inefficient, as it detracts from the ability to produce a draught through the boiler tubes, but it was only for the brief periods in which they operated on the underground line sections.

Travelling by tube was promoted as healthy due the stations and tunnels being filled with sulphurous and slightly steamy smoke. Given the amount of soot in that, I suspect the reverse is actually true and it's just that the veracity of advertising hasn't changed much over the last hundred years!

When the engines emerged into the world they used to have to stop to vent the condenser tanks and sit there panting for a few minutes to build up steam before they could carry on. Apparently it was quite a sight to see one emerge from a tunnel, stop and then completely disappear in a huge cloud of water vapour.

Presumably they've managed to find a working condensing engine somewhere to have a go with.
They have in fact already tested the gauge, here filmed at baker street with a ex L&SW railway Beattie well tank engine no 30587. It ran from Earls court to Edgeware road.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33KnnY6e24
 Bus lane - Games Lane - DP
>> They have in fact already tested the gauge, here filmed at baker street with a
>> ex L&SW railway Beattie well tank engine no 30587. It ran from Earls court to
>> Edgeware road.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33KnnY6e24
>>

I remember going to one of the 'Steam on the Met' events in Amersham back in the 90's, where various steam engines were run over a weekend on the Metropolitan line between Amersham and Watford . Very enjoyable it was too. I believe this event ran annually for a while until it was ditched sometime in the late 90's.
Latest Forum Posts