Motoring Discussion > New C-Max - Impressed ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 14

New C-Max - Impressed ! - Runfer D'Hills
Back in Italy again tonight. Very quiet here. Don't mention the football seems to be the general mood...

Anyway, I'd booked a hire car to do the 1.5 hour drive from the airport to where I need to be tomorrow morning. Finishing up this trip later in the week back nearer Ancona where I flew into. I'd only booked a basic car and would have been happy enough with a Panda or something like I had last week.

Got a free upgrade due to lack of available cars at the airport on a Sunday night. strikes me that's the time it happens, well to me anyway.

They've given me a new Ford C-Max 1.6d. Six speed manual in what appears to be the equivalent of "Zetec" trim. No badges on it so I can't be sure about that bit. Alloys, but no leather except on the steering wheel.

Anyhow, I drove it for about a hundred miles this evening, mainly autostrada but some twisty country roads too. Majorly impressed. To be honest I hadn't checked what engine it had until I parked it. I knew it was a diesel from the feel of it but was astonished to find it was only a 1.6.

Pulled very nicely and with the 6 speed box never felt out of it's depth. Well appointed car, lots of switches I haven't and probably never will get the chance to use. Ergonomically sound, very easy to get comfortable. Handles excellently for a tall car. Almost sporty. Well, a bit anyway ! Fuel economy seems good. Guage has barely moved. Hadn't realised it was one of those "stop-start" thingies though. Had to stop to pay a motorway toll and it cut out. I swore at it thinking it had stalled but as soon as I put my foot back on the clutch it started again. Bit disconcerting that but I suppose you get used to it.

I rather like it. Nicer to drive than 'er Qashqai. Told her that on the phone just now but I don't think she's convinced...

New C-Max - Impressed ! - a900ss
Are they 5 or 7 seaters? If 7, do you need to be a child to get into the back 2 seats?
 New C-Max - Impressed ! - DP
Ironically, my in-laws replaced their nigglingly unreliable 1.5dCi Qashqai with one of these. It's a Titanium with all the bits on it, but still the 1.6TDCi engine.

It's a really nice car, and they are very happy with it. Lots of kit, lovely willing engine which, as you say copes a lot better than you'd have any right to expect, and with beautifully "car-like" handling. My in-laws are not enthusiastic drivers by any stretch of the imagination, but my father in law instantly commented how sure footed and responsive it felt in comparison to the Nissan, even in normal A to B driving.

Their example has also been faultless in the year they've had it, apart from the DAB packing up on the Sony radio. This is apparently a common fault, and the Ford dealer changed the complete head unit under warranty without any hassle. It's been fine ever since.

Their only gripe with it relates to fuel economy, and particularly the difference between the combined figure and the real world figure. There's usually a gap on most cars, but this is a chasm. Ford claim 61.4 mpg, and they are struggling to better 45 mpg. Even on a long, gentle motorway run, it only just nudges over 50 mpg.

Last edited by: DP on Mon 2 Jul 12 at 09:27
 New C-Max - Impressed ! - rtj70
>> Are they 5 or 7 seaters? If 7, do you need to be a child to get into the back 2 seats?

The C-Max is a 5 seater. The Grand C-Max is a 7 seater (and has sliding rear doors).

www.ford.co.uk/Cars/C-MAX/
 New C-Max - Impressed ! - Bill Payer
>> The Grand C-Max is a 7 seater (and has sliding rear doors).
>>
Just spent a couple of days in Paris and my French colleague had one of these. He doesn't need 7 seats but chose it because the sliding doors makes getting kids ina and out of the car much easier there.

I didn't recognise the car at all - I thought it was maybe not sold here as I've never noticed seeing one.
 New C-Max - Impressed ! - Dutchie
I've got the same engine DP the 1.6 TDCI Titanium model Focus.About 59mpg.
 New C-Max - Impressed ! - oilburner
We've got this engine (or a close relative of it) in our C4 Grand Picasso. Big car, little engine. And yet, it works wonders.

Plently of power, smooth and quiet. Can't fault it really. But fuel economy is about 40-45mpg, so not great, but then Citroën only claim 48 or so for this model.

I'd happily have that engine in any size of car, providing I didn't need to tow a caravan with it. It just doesn't have the power for that. Otherwise it does everything we want it to.
 New C-Max - Impressed ! - mikeyb
Same engine as was in the C5. Most never believed it was only 1.6.

Now have the same engine in the Volvo, but, although its quicker on paper, I think the C5 felt more willing.

Citroen claimed 54mpg in the C5 and I was getting around 52. The Volvo claims 62, but currently turning in around 48 so not so happy about that.
Well, back in sunny UK now. What a difference in the weather ! Monday saw close on 40C where I was and 35C yesterday. The wee C-Max had the straightforward AC rather than climate but it didn't matter. Permantly set to coldest.

What a nice little car. Quite taken with it. Doesn't look set to win any beauty competitions from the outside but the interior was really funky and modern.

I'll whisper this bit but it was actually very much more comfortable than my "large German estate car"

Wouldn't feel even slightly deprived if one of those was my main car and with a 1.6 diesel stop start thingy I should think the bik would be pretty reasonable.

Bowled along at more than necessary autostrada speeds without ever feeling strained. Only minor criticism might be over light power steering maybe.

Never thought I'd covet a small diesel people carrier. Must be getting old...

New C-Max - Impressed ! - CGNorwich
You're turning into Honest John. He was forever praising the CMAX albeit the old model.
Never really been a hat person. Perhaps it's time...
 New C-Max - Impressed ! - corax
>> Never really been a hat person. Perhaps it's time...

Trilby?

Or flat cap?

New C-Max - Impressed ! - Iffy
I wouldn't be without my 99p beanie.

Wear it indoors when it's really cold.

Images of Compo in a convertible. Can you get to the pedals ok in wellies?
Flat cap or Trilby?

Straw Fedora I think. For when I buy my hammock.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 19:29
Latest Forum Posts