Motoring Discussion > Breakdown recovery recommendation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 40

Breakdown recovery recommendation - BobbyG
For the last couple of years I have used Autoaid as they cover both our cars, with both me or the missus driving them, for a sum of £38. Have had to use their services once and they were excellent.

However daughter is now driving Missus' car and they only allow spouse partner cover. I can take out a policy in her own name for another £38, making £76 in total.

However, wondering if anyone has any better recommendations? I guess what I am looking for is cover for the two cars, no matter who is driving them as opposed to naming 3 different drivers?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Tigger
I use Mayday. Only available to caravan club members, unfortunately.

No artificially high renewal prices to sort out every year. Really good cover, including getting me off muddy fields if I can't get myself out.

If I breakdown when towing the caravan away on holiday, they even take my caravan to site, the car to a repairer. And if the car isn't fixed by the end of the stay, they'll bring each back separately.

No length or width restrictions (Club Toyota said my caravan was 20cm too long for them to recover).

On the top level (which I am), they'll even send a chauffeur if I can't drive for some reason (wife doesn't like towing).

www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance-and-finance/insurance/uk-breakdown-and-recovery/

Probably not much use to you BobbyG, unless you caravan.
Last edited by: Tigger on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 13:50
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - helicopter
Try GEM..I am with them but luckily never had to use them

www.motoringassist.com/?gclid=CMXMvevH_bACFcYmtAodNkYC-Q

Consistently seem to be highly recommended , I believe that they used to be the Civil Service Motoring Association- and they are running a two for one offer at the moment.

£69 covers everything.
Thanks heli - unfortunately for 3 people it takes the cost up to £99.45, think it ,ight be cheaper to find a policy that is car based rather than driver based.

And I don't have a caravan!
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - FocalPoint
Slight drift - I shall be taking the car abroad later this summer and want to have breakdown cover for the trip. I don't subscribe to breakdown cover in the UK, so ideally I'm looking for short-term cover just while we're away.

Any recommendations?
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Zero
>> Slight drift - I shall be taking the car abroad later this summer and want
>> to have breakdown cover for the trip. I don't subscribe to breakdown cover in the
>> UK, so ideally I'm looking for short-term cover just while we're away.
>>
>> Any recommendations?

I always use AA 5* - expensive but very comprehensive.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - jc2
CSMA is and always has been Britannia Rescue-excellent! I've called them out twice-both times less than 30 minutes.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Dulwich Estate
"I always use AA 5* - expensive but very comprehensive. "

So now we know - you are one of those lottery winners who kept it quiet - your secret is out.

Breakdown recovery recommendation - mikeyb
Only had the misfortune of using the AA once (cover provided with new car).

Only hope I never have to use them again, although I appreciate that these things are subjective and perhaps the recovery guy and call center staff were having a bad day....

Have used the RAC and they have always been good plus I think they do car or individual cover.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - carmalade
I would definitely recommend the AA 5 star Europe breakdown Service.Last year my son broke down in France with a failed clutch on his Corsa.AA agent got it towed to a local garage near Poitiers where they said it would cost around 900 Euros to fix and would take about 3 days to get the parts ,as they would have to be sourced from UK!! Declined to have it repaired and the AA returned car to my local garage in England who done the job for around £300.AA 5 star even paid the French garage inspection and storage charge.hth
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Harleyman

>> I always use AA 5* - expensive but very comprehensive.
>>

I'm with AA through Carole Nash for my bikes; not sure if it's 5-star by name but so far it has been. Just had the holiday from hell with my bike breaking down and Mrs HM sliding off hers, ended up coming home by Eurostar & hire car. All service from AA top class, cannot fault it.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - R.P.
We need the full story HM !

I used CN's cover to recover a bike I was riding for an MoT a couple of years ago - very good service.

One of the reasons I stay with them is because of their built in cover, they're not the cheapest but when you roll up the extras they're not far off.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Duncan
We have been with the RAC for the last two years.

I pay for it with Tesco Clubcard Reward Vouchers.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Auristocrat
In the latest Which? report the AA came top (score 70%), followed by the RAC (69%). Equal third (65%) were Britannia Rescue, GEM and SAGA. Findings were based on waiting times, percentage of repairs completed at roadside, and customer satisfaction.

Of the car manufacturer schemes, Hondacare Assistance came first (77% - provided by the AA), Club Toyota (67% - AA), and Mazda European Assistance (64% - RAC [though cars with Mazda extended warranties are covered by Europ Assist]).

Incidentally the CSMA sold Brittania Rescue to LV in 2007.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Ted
>>=
>> Incidentally the CSMA sold Brittania Rescue to LV in 2007.
>>
........and staff morale and ' family ' atmosphere have gone out of the window ever since !
I was a shift controller in CSMA days and I'm still in touch with many former workmates.

Staff and pensioners have had their free breakdown cover withdrawn recently......I did rejoin because one of the girls in membership is a good pal...and we were getting 20% discount.

So, it was about £75 for personal cover for two...any car being driven. I didn't go for home cover, I can cope with anything that happens here.

Ted
I've paid £59 each year to Quoteline Direct. It must be 4 or 5 years now.

The cover is car based and seems to be for everything including up to 60 days in Europe. I've not claimed from them so can't give any information on that side of things. They seem to vary the provider some years and this year it's AXA Assistance.

But, if you go to AXA they will charge you £95.

As I have said, I have no experience of using them but will probably renew when it's due in a couple of months, as £59 is not at all bad.
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Roger.
We use The Green Insurance Co. ( www.greeninsurancecompany.co.uk/ ) for our breakdown cover. Not because they blather on about "greenness, but because for car based cover, including European use, they were the cheapest. (Around 60 quid, if I recall correctly.)
Never claimed yet, but 'phoned customer service queries are answered promptly, in an English call centre and sorted efficiently.
We are in our second year with them.
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 19:55
Roger, thanks for that recommendations, our two cars will be £18.80 and £36.
The website and wording seems to indicate it is vehicle based rather than named drivers which will be ideal - I will phone to check in the morning before buying.

Oh and I dispute the English Call Centre - their contact us address is a couple of miles down the road from me in Lanarkshire! :)
Oops- sorry about the geographical inexactitude!
It is car based. If you change car, as we did, a call to tell them of your new vehicle is all that is required.
ADAC - A German Company - An Interesting find. I have lifted this word for word from another post on another site, but I'm sure they won't mind.

I'm with ADAC and they couldn't be more helpful. The telephone number for membership is 0049 89 76 76 66 32 and it costs 79€ for single person and 99€ a couple. That includes roadside assistance anywhere in Europe, recovery to destination of choice etc.... It also includes some health cover (get you home etc.). Recovery etc is only from 50km (about 30m) or more from your home address.

I queried what would happen if I had a breakdown in the UK for instance and they said the AA would recover the car/passengers just as they would for a UK reg. car. All their breakdown and medical phone lines have multi-lingual staff. The usual German efficiency puts the lousy French recovery service to shame!

Link www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/
Our work's Transit is covered by The Green Insurance Company. Last year's premium was £28.80.
This year's premium, £84.99. Auto renewed, so letter came in whilst I was on holiday, the payment has already been taken.
Went onto their website and the premium is still £28.80 ! Phoned up and was told that the renewal must have been an error and they will refund me the difference!!

Aye right, blinkin chancers hoped that I wouldn't notice!!
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Duncan
>> Roger, thanks for that recommendations,
>>
>> Oh and I dispute the English Call Centre - their contact us address is a
>> couple of miles down the road from me in Lanarkshire! :)
>>

Perhaps they mean that the employees speak a form of English!

;-)
Even that form of the language is better than the fractured and almost unintelligible variety uttered by TalkTalk's so-called "help centre!
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Manatee
I'm aware of the terrible rep of the TT call centre. Allegedly part of the problem is that their first line support literally can't do anything.

The support forum bods on the other hand I have found very helpful. At my request they changed my SNR target from the default 9 or 12, I can't remember which, to 6 and the speed increased from 1200 to 1800 Kbps, and it's been fine, touching wood, since April.

Worth a shot if you are at the rag end with the call centre.

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Runfer D'Hills
Some would argue a more phonetically correct and thus more telephone friendly form. At least the Scots actually use all 26 letters. No dropping of "h"s or "r"s....

For example the name "Henry Blair" would be pronounced Henri Blay-ir by a Scot and would be totally understandable as opposed to a southern English accent where it would become "Enri Bleh" and be unintelligible to many.

Pipe, stick, smoke it, in your, that etc...

:-)
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - bathtub tom
How many call centres are there in Glasgow, staffed by locals?
O2 have a huge call centre in Glasgow, Kwik Fit, Scottish Gas and Virgin are others in the area that spring to mind.

As an aside, we occasionally take goods out to workplaces to sell and I once phoned O2 and was connected to their Glasgow call centre and through general conversation whilst we sorted out my phone issue, it transpired that 15 mins previously the guy had bought something from my colleague who happened to be there that day!
Sky are in Scotland.....?
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - rtj70
>> Sky are in Scotland.....?
>>

Sky have some staff in Stockport. Cannot comment on Scotland.
Yip, Sky have a huge place in Livingston.

Which reminds me of the story I heard when I worked in a supermarket in Livingston and the part time boy in the bakery also worked part time in Sky.

Caller: Hi, I am looking to add extra channels to my package, here is my account number
Sky: Yes no problem, what channels would you like to add?
Caller: I would like to add the Adult Channels for a month, you see its my husband's birthday and I would like to surprise him.
Sky: OK no problem madam, just wait to I update your account
Sky: Em, madam?
Caller: Yes, is there a problem?
Sky, well, em madam, you already have the adult channels on your account.........
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - sooty123
An MP's wife?
A part time Boy ?
I'd give you two thumbs for that if I could. Exiled to the south I am surrounded by estuary speakers who manage with the vowels and about four of the consonants. I catch about half of what they say and often just give up and nod, which has got me into a pickle once or twice. It's like living in a monkey house.

As implied it's much worse on the phone and impossible if you have no context to narrow it down.

I was called the other day by somebody who said he was Dan from El-fun-lie. I got him to repeat this about four times, then told him to call later as it was a bad line (it wasn't). He did call back and after a couple of goes at Elf-un-lie I got him to spell it.

H-E-A-L-T-H O-N-L-I-N-E
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 23 Jul 12 at 20:11
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Runfer D'Hills
Well, I'll give you a thumb then by way of mutual admiration!
>>Exiled to the south I am surrounded by estuary speakers

'ow on irth didya coap wiv me a' Stony?
>> >>Exiled to the south I am surrounded by estuary speakers
>>
>> 'ow on irth didya coap wiv me a' Stony?

I thought you were posh ;-) Trust me, you're a lot more intelligible than the lad from Elfunline.

I guess you can understand 'em being more tuned in.

According to the boss, I'm a bit Mutt ("as a post") because I can't always catch what she says. I say she mumbles. That's just before she points out that I have to ask her what Kenneth Branagh is saying on Wallander, and she claims I'm the common factor. Cheek! Nothing wrong with my hearing. It's all this sodding music! What?
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Zero
Tell 'er she's a daft ole bat.

Wallender does mumble - its part of the character. Sometimes the original Swedish is more intelligible.
Time to switch subtitles on - no shame in that.
>> Time to switch subtitles on - no shame in that.

Try Shaun the sheep with subtitles - hilarious!
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Focusless
>> Time to switch subtitles on - no shame in that.

Glad it's not just me :)
 Breakdown recovery recommendation - Cliff Pope
In my very limited experience (ie two call-outs in 45 years) the front organisation merely provides the phone contact point and passes the actual attendance to a firm nearest to the spot.

The organisation that actually attends might be anyone. I'm with Autonational Rescue. On one occasion the truck attending was from a garage local to the breakdown scene, but he re-negotiated the actual driving to a friend who wanted the particular cross-country trip involved in recovery.

On the other occasion an AA van attended. He quickly fashioned a clutch operating rod domed cup by hammering an ordinary washer on the pavement, and the car was going again within half an hour.
Latest Forum Posts