Motoring Discussion > AA European Breakdown experience Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 8

AA European Breakdown experience - PR
Well after nigh on 20 years of European motoring I had to call on the services of the AA on my trip to France.

Before leaving I had a droplink replaced on the Bravo as the bush had perished....

On driving back from Biarritz I heard a clonking sound, that wasnt present on the motorway blast up to Montrichard (around 350 miles). On exiting the motorway, going round bends and roundabouts brought on a worrying amount of creaking and clonking noises. On arriving at our destination (that was to be from the Sat eve to early Mon morning) I had a look around the car. The new droplink was detached from the top mount, the ball joint had disintegrated, leaving around 30cm of free movement!

Called the AA, who were good (once they had found us on the system, because we had bought the cover through Fiat they had problems finding us!). Within 1 hour there was a recovery truck there, the driver of which was very friendly and helpful.

Car was recovered to his garage. He said he would try and order one (droplink) and if it was in stock locally then would be ready for Monday afternoon. This indeed happened so we were only delayed around 8/9 hours on our journey. (Cost 64 euro for part and labour, recovery to be paid for directly by AA)
This meant we needed a stay in Calais (unplanned) which we will now attempt to claim back), and an alteration to our Eurotunnel booking
One thing to note was trying to alter our Eurotunnel booking proved to be inconvenient, as I tried on the Sunday to alter it for Monday evening, the prices had doubled to £147 for a single. If I instead booked for early Tues morning the prices were still "normal". It appears if you need to change at short notice you would have to pay this what seems to be standard £147 for a short notice crossing, which I find a little annoying!

Anyway, sorry for the long post but all in all the experience wasn't too bad, though we will see what the AA say about our hotel cost...!
Last edited by: PR on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 07:31
 AA European Breakdown experience - Simon
I don't know what your AA cover entitles you too but it sounds like they gave you pretty good service with a satisfactory result.

Surely you ought to be chasing the garage for the new part that failed and the associated costs that you incurred...???
Yes I am going to take the failed part, they will cover the cost of repair and the part. Further to that Im not sure..

The AA does state it will cover any extra hotel expenses. What I dont know is how much you have to prove that it is a result of the breakdown. Will let you know what happens...
 AA European Breakdown experience - Shiny
We have changed Eurotunnel booking at short notice last summer and it was £3 cheaper! I think it depends on all kinds of things, but mostly how busy the crossing is.
That may have been the case, it seems to be different now.

I checked on the "new" crossing I had booked the day before ie within 24 hours of travel, and that too had gone up to the £147 seen previously. It was for a crossing at 0529 on a Tuesday and I can confirm there was only 1 line of cars that went on....
Well, so far we are on multiple phone calls and still awaiting a mechanism to claim, which is bordering on scandalous.

Basically all the numbers given for claims eventually take you to an answer phone with nothing but leave your details for a claim form (the brief message it give doesnt mention details they require). This was duly left 2 weeks ago, and again 1 week ago, no form.

A phone call to an operator, who then said she would put us through to claim line......ended up where? Thats right, the automated answer phone.

A further phone call to an operator and this time they suggested printing a claim form from website, web address given, no web page. Search on AA site, no claim form to be found.

I have since emailed the claims dept requesting a form, either by email or by post (and to email us confirmation), nothing yet.

So 3 weeks on and not even the beginnings of trying to sort claim out. Luckily its not a large amount of money, but could easily be in these cases.

So they sell us insurance with no mechanism to claim against it. I feel a letter to the Ombudsman may be required!
 AA European Breakdown experience - Harleyman
Contrasts with my experience....

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11148&m=252640#252640

I've had to put two claims in ( channel tunnel and rail ticket) and forms were with me within a couple of days for both.

Direct phone line to AA Overseas Claims is 01256 493730.

Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 26 Jul 12 at 21:18
Thanks for that Harleyman. That number is the same one I have, and there is no claims people to talk to, just an answerphone.

Anyhow, the claim form arrived yesterday, so have filled it in. I will send it back signed for delivery to make sure.

Irritatingly it says all claims MUST be submitted within 31 days of returning home, which I will just about manage due to them taking 3 weeks to get a form to me!
Just to close this one out, the AA duly paid for the extra hotel night, so cant complain about that.

Infact, overall they were good, however they just need to improve their communications.

Just got the renewal through from Fiat/AA, offering 2 years full cover including Europe for £149 so in light of this will probably re new...
Latest Forum Posts