Motoring Discussion > Harleyman's Holiday from Hell Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Harleyman Replies: 34

Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Harleyman
We decided to go via the Tunnel to France, paid for thanks to Clubcard; went across Monday tea-time, ended up in Luxembourg Thursday after two overnight stays, first at a campsite in Ardres, second at a rather nice gite outside Landrecies. Spent all day thursday in Luxembourg doing the touristy stuff then started out Friday morning heading towards Paris to do the HDC Restless Runners rally. About 10 miles from Chalons-en-Champagne, the drive belt started shedding teeth, think I picked up a stone; limped it into Chalons, called recovery. Taken to the dealership in Reims, surprisingly they didn't have the bits in stock and since this is France and the shop closes Monday due to the stress of opening all day Saturday (except for the obligatory two hour lunchbreak) it would be Tuesday before they opened again, bits should arrive mid-morning and I'd be on the way by Tuesday teatime.

Our Chunnel tickets were for Monday morning, so we decided to take the offered hire car; except none were available till Saturday morning, so recovery found us a nearby hotel ( Enzo chain run by Best Western, surprisingly good for 55 Euros) then I took the bus and tram into Reims to collect the hire car.

So far so good, but we decided that the trip to the rally was scuppered now, so we'd do the day touring Reims, did the cathedral and a car museum, had a really good meal then headed back towards Calais. Camped for the night south of Valenciennes, wifey went to bed and I found a nearby nightclub and went off to drown me sorrows with a few beers.

Next morning, got up, it stated raining heavily just after we packed the tent up, and it got progressively worse. Headed off towards Calais again, picked up the A26 motorway and made fairlygood progress despite the dreadful weather; we pulled in at a McDonalds for food mid-morning, wifey was absolutely soaked but determined to make it to Calais. Got as far as Dunkirk, took the turn off to "la Manche".... then it went literally tits-up. Mrs. HM hit a patch of diesel or some debris, she wasn't quite sure which, lost the front end, thankfully managed to bring the bike down to about 25-30 mph but couldn't avoid sliding off, scraping the Armco and going over it.

Trust me, you really don't want to watch your missus flying off her bike.

I pulled over, ran over fearing the worst as she was laid flat on her back not moving. Couple of cars stopped (you don't always get that in the UK) and a lady phoned for fire/ambulance, they were on the scene within 5 minutes, took wifey to Dunkirk hospital, I followed by car. Thankfully only banged her head and knee, apart from a bruise and being naturally shaken up she's OK, but there was enough damage to the bike (right footrest mount broken and a few scrapes, but I've seen a helluva lot worse) to make it unrideable so that's being recovered home.

Got wifey out of hossie (very good treatment by ALL the French emergency services I have to say) and we packed all the gear into my car; phone call to Carole Nash, we ended up dropping the hire car off at Hertz Calais, taxi to the TGV station; hour and a half later we're in St. Pancras, guy from Enterprise car hire picked us up, took us to their depot at Kilburn, sorted another hire car and we got home to Carmarthen dead on ten o'clock last night.

Now sorting out my trip back to Reims to collect my bike, AFAIK Carole Nash are sending me by Eurostar on Tuesday so I will hopefully be able to ride it home.

I've just had a call tonight to say that Mrs HM's bike is back in the UK so I've now got to arrnge it to be sent for repairs.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 20:46
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - R.P.
Sorry to hear about such a disastrous trip. In fairness Carole Nash seem to have come up trumps though ! Hope the ride back is better. (oh and your Missus of course)
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Dutchie
That's a hell of a story Harley man.Hope your wife is ok and better luck next time.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - rtj70
It too hope your wife is okay. Bikes can be fixed.

Sounds like the insurance treated you well.
Just to clarify; we were back home on Sun 25th June. I'd cut & pasted the post from my Harley club forum then ran out of time before i could edit it properly.

Yes, wifey's fine now thanks; back at work the following Saturday.

I have to say the whole recovery operation for both bikes was seamless, almost choreographed. I've been with Carole Nash for 20 of the last 23 years of biking, and this standard of cover was worth every penny of every premium I've ever paid them.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - rtj70
This is an example of why the cheapest premiums might not be worth it. They save money if you don't have a need for their help but when you do....

My wife had two non fault accidents in her car (quite some time ago). Both sorted out without hassle by her insurer - MoreThan. Cannot say how they are now for accident management as there's not been one for a long time but we're still with them. At renewal time I check and if they are near to other quotes we'd stick with them - they have usually been less. Sometimes re-insured with them online instead mind.*

* My wife does minimal mileage these days. No policy would have such a low limit.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Armel Coussine
I too am relieved Ms Hogman is all right. That must have been an appalling moment for both of you.

Stone in the drive belt eh? Is that a big modern Harley-Davidson? I would have expected that firm to be conservative and stay with chain. But never was a biker and couldn't think of trying it now.

Yr post is a very good testimonial for Carole Nash Harleyman. I am tempted to seek a quote for a 2-litre jalopy driven by two mature individuals.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Badwolf
I can't begin to imagine how it must feel to witness your wife coming off her bike like that. The thought of seeing something similar happen to Mrs B makes me feel sick.

I hope that she is over her experience, and that you are too. It sounds like the excellent service you received from all involved will have helped in that.

Every best wish to you both.
Last edited by: Badwolf on Thu 5 Jul 12 at 10:31
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Dave_
Let me add my voice to those wishing you both well HM. Glad HW is only bruised.

I know the feeling you describe, I watched my daughter come off a riding school horse last month and land (and bounce) full on her back. Never been so glad to listen to ten minutes of crying as she got up afterwards. Thankfully it was a soft indoor surface and she was wearing all the right kit.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - BobbyG
A few years ago we were travelling in convoy with 2 other families down one of the Autoroutes North of Paris when one of them was clipped by another car, resulting in them somersaulting across the 3 lanes, hardshoulder and ending up resting on the embankment.

Not a nice sight to see in your rear view mirror!!

But , like HM, found the authorities excellent and the Hospital staff were fantastic. Mind you , no amount of soundproof will blank out the noise of your mate getting staples put into his head without any anaesthetic!!
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - T junction
We too have had an encounter with the French emergency services and found them excellent. We were cycling along beside the Canal du Midi when Mrs J fell off her bike and broke her wrist.
The firemen recovered us from the canal side and rendezvoused with a paramedic, who administered pain killers and then acompanied us to hospital in Carcassonne. She was operated on that night to have a plate inserted in her wrist and we are able to head back for home 2 days later. All cost were covered by the EHIC or reimbursed by the insurance company later.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Kevin
>thankfully managed to bring the bike down to about 25-30 mph but couldn't avoid sliding
>off, scraping the Armco and going over it.

>Trust me, you really don't want to watch your missus flying off her bike.

Pretty heart-stopping for you I'd guess HM. How does she feel about getting back on the bike?

Few years ago a friend got side swiped by a van that joined the A303 straight into the outside lane. He dropped the bike and kicked it away but smashed his shin and ankle when he hit one of the Armco supports in the central reserve. He'd been in a line of traffic doing about 70mph so was lucky to get away with just a broken leg.

He was patched up in hospital and sent home the next day.

The young woman driving the car behind him who saw him sliding down the road on his 'arris was kept in hospital for three days suffering from shock.

Friend's bike, a YZF-R1 was a complete write-off but the only thing he bitched about was that his watch was broken. It had cost him £2 with a tank of petrol.

Does show how a good helmet, leathers and boots can save you a whole lot of pain though.

Does show how a good helmet, leathers and boots can save you a whole lot of pain though.

+10

Dress the best you can afford. I wince when I see blokes on bikes in open shirts and shorts.....unbelievable....
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Runfer D'Hills
How about no helmet, shorts, no shirt, flip-flops, fag gripped in teeth and the girlfriend in a bikini and our rucksack on the back of a trailie horsing about up dried up riverbeds, several mountains and a fair chunk of jungle?

Believe it !

Long time ago of course.

:-)

Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Zero
>>
>>
>> Does show how a good helmet, leathers and boots can save you a whole lot
>> of pain though.
>>
>> +10
>>
>>
>> Dress the best you can afford. I wince when I see blokes on bikes in
>> open shirts and shorts.....unbelievable....

Yeah I know, sensible and all that, the right thing to do, but riding a bike in shirtsleeves on a hot day is close to orgasmic. Even when the bees hit your arms.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Runfer D'Hills
Yes, you can see how that might give you a buzz.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Zero
<<<< Coat here

door here >>>>>>>>

>> Pretty heart-stopping for you I'd guess HM. How does she feel about getting back on
>> the bike?
>>

It will take a couple of weeks I think; as it happens it will take about that long to sort the bike out anyway. She has another ride, a little Z250 Kawasaki single which we bought for her to commute and pootle around with me when I'm on the old side-valve. Since those are the only two bikes currently roadworthy (for all its virtues I don't count the scooter as a bike) ity may well be hobsons choice anyway for a while.

The ones who've come out of this very badly are Harley-Davidson, or to be precise their European parts distribution set-up. To avoid thread drift I shall post seperately on that subject later. Suffice it to say that over two weeks delay for what is effectively a chain and a pair of sprockets, for a current production bike, is totally unacceptable. I am so annoyed about it, that after 23 years of loyalty to the brand I am seriously considering an alternative for my next modern bike; rest assured though that I shall retain the old 'uns so a change of name will not be necessary. ;-)
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - MD
ScooterMan does not have the same........Oh! never mind....
I had a Z250 Scorpion. All round disc brakes that worked in the wet ! Sintered pads and drilled discs, a great deal lighter than the equivalent Superdream (which I had as well). Perhaps the only bike never got on with - mind you it was a stolen recovered and had to be re-loomed and had a brake disc that kept seizing...
>> I had a Z250 Scorpion. All round disc brakes that worked in the wet !
>> Sintered pads and drilled discs, a great deal lighter than the equivalent Superdream (which I
>> had as well).

They were a good little bike. This, however, is a Z250C, a different animal; basically a stretched version of the Z200 single with styling cues from the LTD custom series. They didn't sell particularly well in the UK, being underpowered, rather expensive and also a victim of the changed legislation which killed 250's off in the early 1980's.

We bought it because of its extremely low seat height; it's also very light and for a 32 year old bike, in surprisingly good nick with only 11,000 miles on the clock. A quaint mix of old and new tech too; electric start only, but it retains points ignition and the same horrible Keihin slide carb as the venerable Honda CB77 of 20 years earlier. Cast alloy wheels, but the front stopper is a twin leading shoe drum.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 7 Jul 12 at 00:00
Update on the situation.

Mrs HM's bike is safely back in the UK, at my friend's place in Wiltshire; quote for repairs is just over a grand, but it's basically bolt-on stuff which is scratched, and the frame/forks are sound as is the paintwork. Mrs HM herself is recovered (bruise on leg and rather shaken) and back at work, hoping to take her little Kawasaki out for a spin when the weather improves.

I travel to Reims tomorrow by train, overnighting in Paris, courtesy of Carole Nash/AA recovery who again have excelled themselves. Train from Carmarthen to London, then Eurostar to Paris, staying at the Windsor Opera hotel which would've cost me over £200 had I needed to pay myself. On to Reims Saturday morning, and even a taxi to collect me and take me to the dealership; I mentioned that I could take a bus and tram but was assured that a taxi was fine.

And now the downside.

It took Harley-Davidson over three weeks to get a pair of drive pulleys (think sprockets on a normal motorcycle) delivered and fitted; absolutely disgraceful for what are effectively service parts on a current production model. I have tried pulling strings at HD-UK but to no avail; I have also complained to Harley-Davidson in the USA both by e-mail and by phone; a friend in Georgia manages a dealership and assures me that not only are these parts in stock at most USA dealerships but that they would never dream of leaving a customer bikeless for such a long time. Whilst their customer services operative on the phone was suitably sympathetic, I have yet to receive any follow-up.

After 23 years of being a loyal customer, and also a passionate advocate for the brand, I'm bitterly disappointed about this. My enthusiasm for the old 'uns remains undimmed (I don't have to rely on the dealerships for parts for them) but as soon as this one's back in the UK it'll be up for sale. I've found a rather nice BMW R90/S at the right price; a bike I always fancied when new but could never afford back then.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Dog
>> but as soon as this one's back in the UK it'll be up for sale. I've found a rather nice BMW R90/S at the right price<<

Good fer you, and quite understandable really - make sure you let em all know what you've done, and why too.
R90/S nice bike - good website for bits new and secondhand is BMWMotorworks....they have an e-bay site with good prices (pair of very nice vintage Krauser panniers on there this week) for various bits and service kits. Very good customer services.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Bromptonaut
Harley problem or French 'customer service'?
>> Harley problem or French 'customer service'?
>>

I have to admit I suspect it was a bit of both. Wheels have turned though; when I walked into the dealership in Reims on Saturday morning to collect the bike, the welcome was distinctly guarded. Turns out that they had received a phone call from H-D the day before, and whilst specific details were not forthcoming I am led to believe that backsides were well and truly kicked.

I am now looking forward to the European Presidents meeting ( all the independent Harley clubs in Europe, representing over 30 thousand Harley riders) in November; I've been invited as a past president, and some of H-D's "great and good" usually attend. Could be an interesting weekend! ;-)
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - MD
They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwairing!!
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - ....
I should imagine a past president turning up on something else would be cause for a few comments.
Sorry tale all round and plain unlucky to happen to both bikes on the same holiday. I trust Mrs Hm is well and truly on the mend now ?

Look on the bright side, you're now enlightened and turned the corner :-)
His certainly seen the light ! He's bought a Beemer !
Minus the 5er headlights.
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Londoner
RP, do you happen to know if indicators are optional extras on BMW bikes like they are on the cars? ;-)
>> His certainly seen the light ! He's bought a Beemer !

>>
Sorry to disappoint you...... ;-)

For all that I've had a bad experience, that Sporty's too much fun to get rid of just yet; rest assured though that I may well think twice about being loyal to H-D when the time comes for it to be replaced. I have still to hear from them directly and TBH I'm not exactly expecting to.

@gmac; yes thank you, she's back at work and none the worse for the experience, though it may be a while before she rides in heavy rain again which unfortunately limits the season in this country!
Good to hear.
I'm sure you don't need me to tell you, get her out one quiet Sunday am with the end reward of Sunday lunch somewhere she'd really appreciate...Nothing fast or busy just a pleasurable mimse not getting in anyone's way. Doesn't have to be far.

I've just ordered some new leathers, the previous one's seam to have shrunk over the winter (Quiet over on Anglesey, it's the central heating wot's done it) and I'm planning a break in session at the 'ring next weekend if they arrive in time. I never feel comfortable riding in Jeans but for the short work commute I can cope.
:-)
 Harleyman's Holiday from Hell - Pat
Mine do that too:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts