Motoring Discussion > Taxing a SORN'd vehicle. Legal Questions
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 7

Taxing a SORN'd vehicle. - Badwolf
Hello folks,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - a cursory search didn't uncover anything.

My Megane has been off the road, SORN'd and uninsured for just over twelve months. I have recently renewed the SORN. It is currently being readied for a return to the road and will soon have a shiny new MoT and a new insurance policy.

Can I just rock up at my VED-issuing post office and tax it there and then? Also, am I better off waiting a few days for the new insurance policy to show up on the MID?

I've actually been extremely fortunate. The car has been off road for, as I say, twelve months and yet started at the first attempt once a power pack had been attached to the battery. It also only failed the MoT on emission, due to the knackered coil pack. I think I've got off lightly!

Thanks, in anticipation.
 Taxing a SORN'd vehicle. - ....
>> Can I just rock up at my VED-issuing post office and tax it there and
>> then?
>>
Yes, provided you've got the MOT, Insurance and most important means of payment in your hand.

>> Also, am I better off waiting a few days for the new insurance policy
>> to show up on the MID?
>>

No need if you've go the paperwork in your hand.
 Taxing a SORN'd vehicle. - Runfer D'Hills
There's a bright red, T reg, Megane Sport 1.6 hatchback for sale round the corner from me. Details in window sort of thing. Parked outside owner's cottage. Old boy had it for donkey's I gather. 66,000. Mint condition by the looks of it. £950 ono

If I needed an old car for something...

But I don't at the moment. Always the way eh?
Cheers for that, gmac.
 Taxing a SORN'd vehicle. - spamcan61
Yes, did this with my lovely Vectra back in January, unSORNed, insured and taxed in about 3 hours all told.
Cheers, do Post Offices accept insurance certificates that have been emailed and printed out?
 Taxing a SORN'd vehicle. - Cliff Pope
>> Cheers, do Post Offices accept insurance certificates that have been emailed and printed out?
>>

Some do, some don't. In my experience some counter staff make it their business to be as obstructive as possible, others are very helpful and sensible in interpreting the rules, others are so dozy they don't really care. My local main PO has all 3 types, and I try and select the right assistant depending on what I want to do.

Printed certificates can look so realistic as to be virtually originals. Try printing in colour even though it is black and white. It gives the paper a more realistic look by picking out the grain and subtle shading.
I thenk yew.
Latest Forum Posts