Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus - Braking problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 14

Ford Focus - Braking problem - L'escargot
My car has started to make a rythmic throbbing sound during braking. The braking power is still OK and the car still brakes in a straight line. There is no vibration of the brake pedal or of the steering. Any suggestions as to the possible cause?
 Ford Focus - Braking problem - Dave_
Is the sound linked to road speed M. Snail.?

It could be that the exposed surfaces of the discs (the bits not sheltered by the pads) have got wet in all this weather when it's been parked, and have gained a surface coating of light rust overnight. When you brake, the pads are repeatedly contacting shiny, then rough, disc surface, causing the noise you describe. My car does that if I wash it and don't move it for a day or two. A few miles of normal driving will remove the surface coating, and with it the noise.
>> Is the sound linked to road speed M. Snail.?
>>

It is.

>> It could be that the exposed surfaces of the discs (the bits not sheltered by
>> the pads) have got wet in all this weather when it's been parked, and have
>> gained a surface coating of light rust overnight.

Thanks, I hope it's nothing more serious than that.
 Ford Focus - Braking problem - Zero
If it is light surface rust, that noise disappears in about the first 10 yards of braking.

Is it front or rear? Only way to find out if its a problem is to whip the wheels off and take out the pads, examine them and the disks.

Its probably nothing.

Edit, if you take it to a garage they will say it needs new disks and pads, cos that was the diagnostic manual says.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 7 Jul 12 at 10:46
 Ford Focus - Braking problem - Mike H
I wouldn't discount abnormal tyre wear, or other tyre-related issues. Saab 9-5s have a penchant for odd tyre wear at the rear, and bizarrely the induced road noise appears to come from the front and only at certain road speeds. Have you checked the pressures?
>> I wouldn't discount abnormal tyre wear, or other tyre-related issues.

Indeedy, swop the tyres round to see if it changes.
 Ford Focus - Braking problem - DP
My mk1 Focus developed an odd wheel-bearing like throbbing / droning noise linked to road speed from the rear end, which turned out to be a bizarre, "stepped" wear pattern on the inside edge of one of the rear tyres. The tyre was replaced, and the problem went away.
 Ford Focus - Braking problem - R.P.
MK5 Gtis do that - linked to weak rear springs.
 Ford Focus - Braking problem - Runfer D'Hills
...and a propensity for driving them like a witch on fire too no doubt !
Oh I did that ! I was never happy with the set up on that car we had - there was premature tyre wear, the tracking was miles out on it. Got it sorted by a local tyre fitter in the end, only to have to sell it a few months later. I know where it lives now the guy that now owns it drives like as if he's ...... how can I say....without being rude ? Well gently ! He had the odd weak spring wear at the back.
 Ford Focus - Braking problem - Fullchat
Not like he stole it then?
No. I took his son to the airport in it once, had him screaming for mercy within 1/2 a mile !
Applying the handbrake while the car is moving shows that the problem is at the rear, so I'm getting somewhere towards determining the cause.
>> Applying the handbrake while the car is moving shows that the problem is at the
>> rear, ..........

It took a few days, but the noise has now disappeared. It must have been rust on the rear discs.
Thats god, now you don't have to buy a new one with horrible sports seats.
Latest Forum Posts