Motoring Discussion > M4 J1-J3 closed for days. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 21

M4 J1-J3 closed for days. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18751083

The M4 is shut between junctions one and three and is expected to remain closed for up to five days.

on Friday I was on the A4 underneath this section and was amazed to see how many support sections were covered up due to existing problems.
Oh well the Olympics are coming so it will soon be sortred :-(
 M4 J1-J3 closed for days. - CGNorwich
Boris is making noises.

M4 J1-J3 closed for days. - Mr. Ecs
I presume the M4 traffic is being pulled off at Jct3 Heston and diverted along the A4. Avoid this route like the plague.
The HATO's are based at the RAB at Jct3, I hope they are used to keep that clear from gridlocking. They can't expect that level of traffic to manage itself, surely.
 M4 J1-J3 closed for days. - wotspur
Check out the latest BA advert, and on the non motoring discussion page, where it shows the reason.... A BA7777 taxiing down the M4 right where there are problems is it any wonder !!!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 8 Jul 12 at 00:20
 M4 J1-J3 closed for days. - Zero
quite right, well spotted. Send them the damn bill for the repairs.
 M4 J1-J3 closed for MORE days. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16590738

The main motorway link from London to Heathrow Airport will not now reopen on Thursday as planned

....claimed that due to the complexity of the operation more time than originally envisaged is required to complete the work safely.
The quango said it still expected to reopen the road within the next few days.

-----------------

The recommended reroute to London as posted on th gantries is obviously the M3 but that is very slow from Sunbury towards town.
Horrible queues from Sunbury to Hampton Court this morning at 11.00 - just amount of traffic.
 M4 J1-J3 closed for MORE days. - WillDeBeest
Hard luck, Henry. On the other hand, the closure has taken so much traffic off the M4 that the stretch I use, to J4, is an absolute treat. They can close the elevated bit for good as far as I'm concerned.
};---)
 M4 J1-J3 closed for MORE days. - Duncan
>> Horrible queues from Sunbury to Hampton Court this morning at 11.00 - just amount of
>> traffic.

Surely the traffic moves to the side when they see you approaching in your Jagwar, Henry?
 M4 J1-J3 closed for MORE days. - wotspur
Yesterday I had to go from Weybridge to regents park... Normal route A316, but due to the M4 being closed I knew both routes would be haos. The route to the M40, was a problem, so went up the A3, not too bad, took more miles, but kept moving, but ssssshh keep it quiet
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 Jul 12 at 21:06
 M4 J1-J3 closed for MORE days. - henry k
>>>> Surely the traffic moves to the side when they see you approaching in your Jagwar, Henry?
>>
The plebs have not yet been educated :-)
The reality was that I was going to Sunbury so pre warned. On the way home I bypassed that bit along the A316 ( knowing I had outs if it got bad)and then the A312 back to Hampton Court.
The A316 was staionary ahead as I exited to the ( Apex to us oldies) roundabout which was a bit busy.

Hampton Court Green is being populated by high fences, tents etc everywhere which I assume is for the Olympics so extr traffic there.

IMO London will grid lock all day during the games whatever is planned.

M4 J1-J3 closed for MORE days. - Duncan
>> The A316 was staionary ahead as I exited to the ( Apex to us oldies)
>> roundabout which was a bit busy.

Depending where you are going, of course...

You can come off the A316 at Hanworth, turn right at the Warren Pub (boarded up) and come through Whitton and decide which side of the RFU ground you want to go.
 M4 J1-J3 closed for MORE days. - Zero
My first route choice would have been A3, Roehampton, Hammersmith Bridge, Shepherds Bush, Westway. Closed M4 or not.
 M4 J1-J3 closed for days. - Zero
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18751083
>>
>> The M4 is shut between junctions one and three and is expected to remain closed
>> for up to five days.
>>
>> on Friday I was on the A4 underneath this section and was amazed to see
>> how many support sections were covered up due to existing problems.
>> Oh well the Olympics are coming so it will soon be sortred :-(

I blame all the stiffs buried in the concrete.
 M4 re opened. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18823897

John Woodcock MP, shadow transport minister, said: "This is not just an Olympic highway. "Millions of people use this route.
"They will want to to know the problem has been fixed properly, for good."

(Restrictions on vehicles weighing more than 7.5 tonnes had been in place since March,) AFAIK this continues.

M4 re opened. - WillDeBeest
It does.
 M4 re opened. - Zero
The Westway will be next, its of similar vintage and building methods.
 M4 re opened. - henry k
>> The Westway will be next, its of similar vintage and building methods.
>>
Did they remove the lights to save weight?
 M4 re opened. - zookeeper
if it wasnt for the olympics it would have been held up with scaffolding for the forseeable future
 M4 re opened. - Zero
I think it is.
Ctitius, altius, fortius...fortunately
scaffoldius of londinium
 M4 re opened. - Mr. Ecs
Westway lights removed due to corrosion. HA saved money by not replacing. Agree it will be next in line for closure "after" Olympics.
Latest Forum Posts