Motoring Discussion > Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 33

Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Iffy
I shall be in London for a few days next month.

Driving around the West End and City doesn't bother me, I quite enjoy the cut and thrust, so the plan is to drive in, park up for an hour or two, go for a walk and repeat as necessary.

Might even have a wobble on a Boris Bike.

In preparation for this grand trip, I've registered for pay by mobile phone parking.

I will also take £20 or £30 in pound coins.

I still have use of my blue badge, which assists in two ways.

There's a '100 per cent discount' on the Congestion Charge, so I've registered for that, albeit at a cost of £10.

It also appears I'm entitled to an extra hour on meter bays, provided I pay the minimum charge, usually for two hours.

Multi-storey/underground car parks are also an option, although they appear even more expensive.

It's been a long time since I've driven or parked in central London, so any hints or tips welcome.

Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Zero
Forget the meters in central london, you won't find any, and those you do find will be 20, 30 or an hour max.

Depends on where in central london you want to go? I usually use car parking in coin street, south bank, and walk over one of the bridges

...Forget the meters in central london, you won't find any...

That confirms my online research which gave me the impression meter parking in the West End is not as easy as when I last did it 20-odd years ago.

I may have a house call to make in Bond Street, but parking in Southwark might work for my City excursion - if I get that far.

Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Armel Coussine
>> the meters in central london, you won't find any, and those you do find will be 20, 30 or an hour max.

Not so really, last time I looked. Perhaps there's been further vandalism since then. St James's Square used to be pretty reliable. Not cheap though.

Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Bromptonaut
Check carefully about 'Blue Badge' availability in Central London. City, Westminster and (iirc) K&C don't fully recognise out of borough badges.
...Check carefully about 'Blue Badge' availability...

Thanks Bromp.

If I read the City of Westminster Council website correctly, my thick Northern blue badge only entitles me to an extra hour on a meter space anyone can use.

Residents have special cockney sparrow white, er, blue badges.

Thanks AC.

The squares is one of the places I'd planned to look.

Used to be loads of spaces in Belgrave Square, although that's the wrong side of Hyde Park Corner for visiting Mayfair.

Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - scousehonda
"you won't find any, and those you do find"

?????
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Dave_
>> I shall be in London for a few days next month.

www.getaheadofthegames.com/

"Where possible, avoid driving into or through central London"

:(

If I'm doing the tourist thing in the daytime I leave the car at Cockfosters or Stanmore and get the tube. In the evening parking is a lot more widely available, although it still pays to check exactly which restrictions apply to the actual bit of road where you're leaving your car.

If I have to go into London for work I'm usually parking on private property or loading in marked bays.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 10 Jul 12 at 19:20
I'm going after the Olympics - cheaper hotel.

Although it wouldn't be the first time I've seen temporary restrictions - I remember the original 'ring of steel' in the City in the 1980s when the IRA was on the go.

And for yr Bond Street swoop, I would go down Bruton St, circumnavigate Berkeley Square and if no joy there quarter the streets just off it at the NW corner, Mount St and its hinterland.

Don't forget to leave enough time though. Sometimes it can take a few minutes to find something and there may be a bit of a walk.
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Runfer D'Hills
I have to go into London during the Olympics and what's more I have to use a car to do it. I'm banking on everyone else staying away. Perhaps I'll wear a tracksuit though just in case I've got to blag it...
I can sell you one with all the correct logos on it. And an oyster card, and watch.
Great !

Still time to get it taken in too...

:-)
The cap will need to be extended tho.
Yeah, I s'pose so. It would have to accomodate hair too.
Sorry - there was no syrup in the uniform bag, you will have to go without.
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Kevin
>I have to go into London during the Olympics and what's more I have to use a car to do it.

Aren't German cars allowed to use the Zil lanes?
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Duncan
Have a look here. Very reasonably priced (for London) meter parking. You can use the pavilion for refreshments and loos.

Please keep it to yourself.

www.willtowin.co.uk/hyde-park/
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Duncan
Further to my post of 06.19.

I didn't realise that blue badge parking is free (I think).

tinyurl.com/ch4fcfm
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - TeeCee
>>
>> Aren't German cars allowed to use the Zil lanes?
>>

Only the Opel Admiral and Mercedes 770k models......
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Mapmaker
There are no meters in London.

There is, however, plenty of "meter-type" parking, which is all pay by phone. Instructions on lamp-posts for how to register/use it. Dead simple, really.

You have a Blue badge - does this mean a disabled badge? - yet you plan on using a bike? Can this be right?
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Dulwich Estate
"You have a Blue badge - does this mean a disabled badge? - yet you plan on using a bike? Can this be right?"

Very well spotted, Mapmaker.

I am waiting for the answer........
For real peace of mind, there are quite a few parking garages scattered around the West End and its fringes. The ones closest to where you want to go tend to be full more often though. There's a spiral corkscrew-shaped underground one at the Holborn end of New Oxford Street before it becomes Theobald's Road, in the small square there. I've never found that more than half full.

There's a lot to be said for not having to keep an eye on the time and rush off to rescue your jalopy from a street parker. Buses and taxis, along with Shanks's pony, may need to be deployed.
...Buses and taxis, along with Shanks's pony, may need to be deployed...

I'm looking forward to a ride in a fast black. :)

...I am waiting for the answer...

I will not justify the use of my badge to anyone, least of all the likes of you two.

But as a matter of fact, the ability to walk or cycle a short distance is not incompatible with a person's entitlement to a blue badge.

>> I will not justify the use of my badge to anyone, least of all the
>> likes of you two.

Just because we're black doesn't mean we're not entitled to ask.

You're dumping your car in our city on a subsidised basis, yet you're perfectly able to use a bicycle.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 11 Jul 12 at 15:18

>> You're dumping your car in our city on a subsidised basis, yet you're perfectly able
>> to use a bicycle.

Look ont he bright side, he is advertising Barclays, he can't be all bad.
...Look ont he bright side, he is advertising Barclays, he can't be all bad...

If Barclays see my attempt at cycling, they may conclude it's advertising they could do without.

...You're dumping your car in our city on a subsidised basis, yet you're perfectly able to use a bicycle...

Rules as set by the EU and City of Westminster council.

If you don't like it, bleat at them, not me.

www.dft.gov.uk/topics/access/blue-badge

"The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport."

By your own admission, you're looking forward to using public transport.

Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Dulwich Estate
Iffy what does " I will not justify the use of my badge to anyone, least of all the likes of you two. " mean ?

What am I like exactly ? I supported Mapmaker's question. What does that make me like then ?

Curious maybe.

Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - zookeeper
no wonder last of the summer wine has been running so long,
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Dutchie
The likes of you two means the likes of you two.>:)
 Driving and parking in London - complicated innit? - Shiny
en.parkopedia.co.uk
is good and they have an iphone app.
I use it to find £5 a day bomb-site parking just yards outside the congestion zone and walk to my Kensington Royal hotel seminar or Connaught Rooms junket.
Latest Forum Posts