Motoring Discussion > Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 12

Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Falkirk Bairn
tinyurl.com/czaf2mz

Might help a next door neighbour if adopted in the UK.

She only parks where she can drive-in and drive-out (comes home otherwise!)..............she does not do reversing and has not done since passing her test 25+ years ago..........parks in our street and hubby reverses in or drives in and hubby reverses out (or she phones a neighbour)

( It's a Yaris in case you thought it was a US Limo import!)
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - MD
Take her licence away. I once waited 25 minutes for a female to reverse a lane near here. Funny or what.
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - WillDeBeest
Steady chaps. There are poor and dithery drivers of both sexes. This kind of thing may seem funny, but 'ho ho ho, let's make it easier for the little ladies' misses the point and doesn't address the problem. Plenty of people at work seem to seek out spaces they can drive diagonally into, so won't park between two cars; and they're mostly not female.
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Cliff Pope
There are lots of people round us who are incapable of reversing along the narrow rural roads to a passing place, not all women by any means.

The best reverser I have ever seen was a woman. She drove a long wheelbase LandRover with horse trailer into out yard at work, turning in off a fairly narrow road between two stone gateposts with not a lot of clearance.
She later reversed out into the road in a single go, with no hesitation, no stopping to go forwards a bit to make corrections. She made it look as easy as driving an ordinary car forwards.

The most extraordinary reverse I have ever witnessed was someone driving an enormous camper van towing another smaller camper on an A-frame. He drove into an ordinary car park and neatly jack-knifed the two vehicles into a couple of radiating corner parking bays.
Again with no fuss, mirrors only, no assistance.
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - kate0105
Not all females are really worse in parking. In fact, I have a friend who is much better in parking a car than her husband. Sound judgment requires that the rules of the road apply equally to all motorists. Unique accommodations for such common aspects of city driving like simply are not made. Unless you are in the German Black Forest city of Triberg, that is. However, cue groans over sexist policy now. Related article at: www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/auto-news/easy-parking-for-women-triberg/
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - L'escargot
Some people are funny about reversing. A (female, as it happens) friend of ours always reverses into our drive, even though we've got a turning area.
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - madf
Yesterday at Macclesfield Hospital Orthopaedics Dep't, I watched an elderly lady reverse her car out of a parking bay. She must have been at least 85 years old.. even 90 perhaps. She took three turns to reverse and straighten and drove off very carefully.

I hope when I get to her age, I could reverse as well as her.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 12 Jul 12 at 09:51
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Tigger
My father used to have to reverse his uncle's austin 7 up the drive for him. His uncle's profession? Double deck bus driver!
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Cliff Pope
The most pathetic sight is a man in a hat trying to reverse into an enormous parking space but getting the car stuck in at an angle with the rear wheel in the gutter.
With his wife standing waiting to be run over, anxiously waving ineffectually, trying to direct him.
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Mike Hannon
I've always found it easier to manoeuvre a big motor as opposed to a small one.
Here's the much-missed Legend coupe in our car space years ago. The other wall is just out of shot on the left and you can see the slot is only just wider than the car, which had big overhangs front and rear. People used to ask me how I did it - and I'm not sure I'd want to even try now.
tinyurl.com/88j935d
We had quite a big double garage but, as ever, there was no room for that car in it.
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Ted

When I or my next door neighbour leave our drives, we have to go either east or west. He has a 2009 Disco and always comes into the drive nose first.

If he wants to go west, he reverses eastwards and goes straight off. If he wants to go east, he reverses eastwards, drives westwards down the road to do a U turn at the entrance to a side road and then drives off eastwards. He's fit, seems to be able to turn his head/shoulders to see all right.

In three years I've seen him do it the proper way only once. Why he does it, I have no idea. Maybe I'll ask him some time.

Ted
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Armel Coussine
Reversing out of a driveway into the road Ted? Asking to be run into by a dozy neighbour or his crazed teenage son?

If you reverse in, you can see that the road is clear when you do it, and you are ready for a fast getaway whenever you need one. Honestly. The provinces...
 Special parking bays for women drivers (Germany) - Duncan
>> In three years I've seen him do it the proper way only once. Why he does it, I have no idea. Maybe I'll ask him some time.
>>
>> Ted
>>

No rush.
Latest Forum Posts