Motoring Discussion > Roof bars - weight penalty. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 9

Roof bars - weight penalty. - henry k
I have some Thule "classic " roof bars but have recently obtained another set of Thules but with alloy bars.

I was suprised at the difference in weight.

Classic with 125 bars - approx 7 Kgs
Alloy with 95 bars - approx 3 Kgs
( but a much simpler fitting and shorter bars )

Every little elps!
 Roof bars - weight penalty. - Meldrew
Sorry to live up to my screen name but you aren't going to notice any benefit re the weight and the aerodynamic drag will be almost the same. Perhaps they look mega cool in which case you've got a result
 Roof bars - weight penalty. - Bromptonaut
>> Sorry to live up to my screen name but you aren't going to notice any
>> benefit re the weight and the aerodynamic drag will be almost the same. Perhaps they
>> look mega cool in which case you've got a result

Strictly he gains 8kg of payload in the roofbox before maxing out his car's weight limit. Hopefully , Henry knows what his car's max roof load is.
>>Strictly he gains 8kg of payload in the roofbox before maxing out his car's weight limit.
To clarify the weights were for a pair of bars.
I have absolutely no plans to get a roof box.
I have no plans to even use them in the near future.
They were bought S/H, at leisure rather than " in distress" pay main dealer prices.

>>Hopefully , Henry knows what his car's max roof load is.
I will check. I will be at most putting one bike and a roof tray on with light stuff up top from Oxford to home.
 Roof bars - weight penalty. - WillDeBeest
...perhaps they look mega-cool.

Mine do. Bought a pair for the LEC that fit snugly between the rails rather than sitting on top. They look so good - and made so little noise - that I left them on for a week before we went on holiday - when I took them off because everything went inside the car and we didn't need the box.
 Roof bars - weight penalty. - Runfer D'Hills
Roof bars on the "LEC"? How very artisan.

Well, I suppose it is the old model...when do you find time to fit in your window cleaning round BTW?

:-)
 Roof bars - weight penalty. - WillDeBeest
Easy - plenty of time in these long, light evenings, and the rainwater is the very best stuff for a no-streak rinse. Time would be more of a problem with your funeral customers, I'd have thought -doesn't the crem usually close at six?
}:---p
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 13 Jul 12 at 17:22
 Roof bars - weight penalty. - Runfer D'Hills
Heh heh !

Moved to tell a story of one of my recent Italian trips. I was in a horrible little I10 thing and pulled into a service area in the hills just off the Rome to Pescara autostrada. I needed lunch and a coffee.

Just after I stopped, a funeral cortege came in behind me. Hearse with coffin, following limo and about 20 private cars full of mourners all parked up in the motorway services.

Everyone ( except the star of the show of course ) got out and went for a snack and an espresso. The widow, or presumably that's who she was, did stop to give the back of the hearse a pat on her way past before engaging in conversation with her friends and sparking up a cigarette...

Only in Italy !
 Roof bars - weight penalty. - Londoner
I wouldn't worry about the weight penalty of roof bars if you have a German car.
The German's never lose out with penalties.
>> Sorry to live up to my screen name but you aren't going to notice any
>> benefit re the weight and the aerodynamic drag will be almost the same.
I hope and expect them to be very much quieter.
>>
>>Perhaps they look mega cool in which case you've got a result
>>
Oh yes!! They will look mega cool especially with the logo on them ( if you look closely) :-)
Latest Forum Posts