Motoring Discussion > A316 thank you.......git Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 25

A316 thank you.......git - wotspur
Coming out of Richmond tonight down the A316, I was in the outside lane.
When we got to the red traffic lights at Twickenham roundabout, I was about 4 cars back, the one at the front, signalled and went to the right, then without warning, came back into our lane, the BMW at the front just managed to swerve into the inside lane, the range Rover smashed into the back of him, I then smashed into the back of her, airbag explosion, the works.
Whilst I was the final collision, the others coaberated the story so the police didn't arrest me for dangerous driving, could have only been doing 20 ish, butit was so quick,
The git who caused it all, swanned off. Unfortunately no Working cameras in that area.... Doubt they'll get him/ her, so 3 lots of insurance claims, but apart from the lady, who hurt her toe( wearing sandals) we all walked away, unscathed, thankfully. Hope the git doesnt sleep well tonight
 A316 thank you.......git - Zero
Anyone who tangles with a Range Rover and walks away without a scratch should offer a prayer.!

Airbag gone off? car a write off?
 A316 thank you.......git - sooty123
Bad bit of luck there wotspur, put a downer on anyone's day. Do you think they even saw the crash behind them?
 A316 thank you.......git - John H
wotspur,

can you please post your driving plans in advance on here, so that I can avoid the roads where you are going.

>> Whilst I was the final collision, >>

wait for the injury claims to come in!

A316 thank you.......git - Runfer D'Hills
Really glad you and the others aren't hurt Wotspur. Just another timely reminder though that we all need to stay further away from other vehicles than we think. I've seen that "accident" or a version of it more times than I can count.

Best advice I was ever given is to assume at all times that everyone else on the road or near to it is stupid or blind or distracted or all of those. Quite a lot of them turn out to be in at least one of those categories.
 A316 thank you.......git - Iffy
I'm not sure why someone changing lanes, even stupidly, caused everyone to crash into each other.

Comiserations to wotspur anyway, a proper smash can be quite a jolt to the system.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 16 Jul 12 at 22:20
Roundabouts and junctions can be greasy places. Lots of loose rubber from countless brakings and accelerations, a bit of sloshed diesel from an over-filled tank or two.. Couple that with any dampness on the road ( Wotspur doesn't say if it was raining ) but anyway, any wetness, throw in a bit of end of day tiredness and impatience, an ill-timed move, a moment's innattention, heavy traffic and everyone driving a bit too close and you've got the recipe.
 A316 thank you.......git - henry k
>> Lots of loose rubber from countless brakings and accelerations, a bit of sloshed diesel from an over-filled tank or two..

I know that roundabout very well. I was born a few hundred yards away ( but not in the road ).
In my yoof I was hammering into that roundabout on my push bike, no traffic lights in them days, and hit a patch of diesel. I went zipping along on my ear , wheels first into the central island. Ouch!!!!
They used to test the Hanworth Astons along there so there were other hazards in my day!
 A316 thank you.......git - WillDeBeest
...a moment's innattention

Single 'n', Humph. I know etc...
};---)
Haven't you got some windows to clean?

:-)
 A316 thank you.......git - WillDeBeest
Just pausing to tune the ukulele.
 A316 thank you.......git - Londoner
Glad to see that you are all right, wotspur.
No doubt you can thank your car (at least in part) for your escape from being more seriously hurt.
What were you driving, by the way?
>>Comiserations to wotspur anyway

Two "m"s Iffy. Just in case you didn't know...I know you like to get these things right...

:-)
 A316 thank you.......git - rtj70
Glad you are okay wotspur. I hope they find the person who started all this otherwise your insurance is likely to pay for the damage to the Range Rover I would guess.* And if your air bag went off for a new car for you too? Depends on age I guess.

But again glad you're okay especially as the airbag went off. Take it easy tomorrow.

* Or could it be the other way... not sure you can argue that easily. We all know you need to stop in the conditions etc. regardless of what you're doing etc. What if someone crossed in front of us for example.

Fingers crossed the culprits are nabbed. Maybe the other drivers got a reg number? But it sounds like no damage to them.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 16 Jul 12 at 23:10
I was driving a transit, but too far away to see the no plate, was surprised the front BMW driver and passenger both failed to see it... They came of with the worst damage, so I doubt it was an insurance set up, but one never knows... I had pulled away from the lights , with good distance between me and the car infront and was changing into 2nd, but this persons manoeuvre was so idiotic and unexpected, to go from a standing start into free slow flowing traffic
Only 1 comment. " Wotspur let me know where you drive so I can ignore it",
Difficult to say where I'll be but in 30 years , having done over 1,000,000 miles, this is only my 4th accident I've been involved in.... So not too bad.
First at 19, single lane track, collided with a speedster coming the other way, went knock for knock. Next around 24 , was going right at a roundabout, when a car came straight across the top without stopping, she had taken the car for a test drive, and details given didn't tally.
3rd one, I was a passenger in the back of a mini on the Old Kent road, when shunted from behind and then today... How yours record
>> was surprised the front BMW driver and passenger both failed to see it... They came of with the worst damage,

Have you read what you posted above? You said they swerved etc. and avoided damage or words to that effect. Edit: I see the BMW was hit by the Range Rover.

And in your defence in a Transit with a good view you still did not anticipate the accident! IF I was an underwriter I would be reading this thread with interest.... and some might be.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 00:22
>> caused everyone to crash into each other.
>>

because the were the real gits in this scenario.

>> Comiserations to wotspur anyway, ...

No sympathy from me. He got what his driving deserved.
Last edited by: John H on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 13:14

>> >> Comiserations to wotspur anyway, ...
>>
>> No sympathy from me. He got what his driving deserved.
>>
Cheeers John H, really appreciate it, I challenged you to list your obviously impecible driving record, but no you couldnt do it - so I assume youve done over 1, 000,000 miles with no points on your licence and no collisions - go on let us know, or do you just hide behind a keyboard..... I hope no one does that manouvre or similar to you, if they do dont share it.
 A316 thank you.......git - Mr. Ecs
If this is the RAB by the Toyota/Lexus garage, there is a camera at this point. Did the BIB tell you it wasn't working?
>> If this is the RAB by the Toyota/Lexus garage, there is a camera at this
>> point. Did the BIB tell you it wasn't working?
>>
No its the one nearest Twckenham Bridge / The Avenue and St Margarets railway station.
Yes it is the roundabout by the Lexus garage, that was on my rhs , with the bed and breakfast place on the Lhs.... And yes the Bib did say there was no CCTV, I did try and ask if the ones by Richmond bridge or on the m3 were active, he tried to say, without a partial index, it would be impossible to find, and there were too many roads on off to this section to check out.
 A316 thank you.......git - Mr. Ecs
What time of the day was it, and what make/colour of car. I passed that camera today. Was looking in that direction towards the previous RAB. TFL must have seen something surely, this camera is used on local road reports on BBC London sometimes.
>> No its the one nearest Twckenham Bridge / The Avenue and St Margarets railway station.
>>
Perhaps I need a trip to spec savers :-) sorry for posting rubbish .
It was around 5pm. Had been raining and was miserable, but wasn't raining at the time
I'm not sure if it was a merc or a BMW, I think the latter, light coloured, white/ silver and must have been a 5 series type, very powerful car, to make such a manoeuvre in the short space of time and get away with it.
Whilst he/she may not have seen it, the screech of 3 cars+ , and the crunching of metalwork, and no cars following him down the road, might have given him an indication of the accident, if he'd bothered looking
You are doing yourself no favours saying here it had been raining etc. Fact is you should have been able to avoid the car in front. And they the car in front of them. Accidents happen and you will no doubt be out of pocket.

It does sound like the accidents were triggered by the other car - but substitute that with someone stepping out into the road.... could you have stopped then? Could have been worse - someone injured or killed.

Learn from this and move on.

>> into the inside lane, the range Rover smashed into the back of him, I then
>> smashed into the back of her, airbag explosion, the works.
>>
>>

So how much was the repair bill?

Latest Forum Posts