Motoring Discussion > Your favourite screenwash ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 15

Your favourite screenwash ? - hawkeye
Since having some heavy plant at home to shift the garden, it seems that some neat red diesel has found its way onto my windscreen. I've done a forum search but not found anything. What is your favourite brew to leave your windscreen crystal clear ?
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Mapmaker
Washing up liquid with warm water, and a squeegee. Works every time.

**wonders in what form red diesel might arrive other than neat...**
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 10:20
 Your favourite screenwash ? - hawkeye
>>
>> **wonders in what form red diesel might arrive other than neat...**
>>

Untidy?

Quite right mm; one word too many.
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Iffy
Halfords screenwash in the bottle and Mr Muscle window cleaner for one-off cleaning.

I've found a regular going over with Mr Muscle, even when the screen appears not to need it, works best.

Your favourite screenwash ? - WillDeBeest
I've found a regular going over with Mr Muscle...

Oo-errr, missus.
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Dave_
>> Halfords screenwash in the bottle

I find Halfords' fluorescent green stuff leaves a white film across my 'screen. Supermarket own brand blue 4:1 concentrate does not.

>> and Mr Muscle window cleaner for one-off cleaning

Again, getting a streak-free finish with Mr Muscle is hard work - through trial and error
I've found the cheapo Daisy brand (sold in Tesco) works much better. That or Autoglym Fast Glass at 10x the price.

For the OP's red diesel problem, take a bowl of washing-up water outside and clean the glass using that. That's how I used to clean the taxi windows if someone tipped their bag of chips over it.

The salts in the washing-up liquid won't harm the surrounding paintwork unless you wash the car with it all the time. WUL is a very effective degreaser, perfect for removing diesel/chip smears.
 Your favourite screenwash ? - John H
Lidl's "Antifreeze" screen wash in the bottle.

Cif cream to remove traffic gunge from windscreen.

Your favourite screenwash ? - DP
White vinegar mixed with water. Most of the glass cleaning sprays are based on it.
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Meldrew
And scrunched up newspaper as the wiping method. something to with the ink?
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Bromptonaut
Diesel is something that stuff in the wash bottle will struggle with. A few drops of washing up liquid added to five litres of pre-mix might help but Mr Muscle or newspaper/vinegar are likely to be needed.
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Stuu
Favorite screenwash?

I dont have one, I have a life. I buy something called screenwash and fill up the bottle.

Its screenwash people :-/
 Your favourite screenwash ? - R.P.
I have gallons of the stuff - Auto Glym from the courtesy kit I had with my old MK5 VW about 5 years ago, some BMW stuff that came in their courtesy kits x2, plus the stuff I'd hoarded when there was a shortage a ouple of winters ago from Halfords, and also stuff that Mrs RP had when we merged households.
 Your favourite screenwash ? - L'escargot
>> White vinegar mixed with water.

Plus a dollop of elbow grease. (But don't get the grease on the screen!)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 13:55
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Armel Coussine
I find a 50/50 mix of virgins' blood and ass's milk, with a dash of Greencare washing-up liquid, as effective as anything thick, pink and sticky.
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Lygonos
Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning grease and beasties, and +1 for John H's LIDL screenwash (neat in scooshie bottle de-ices instantly - good to -60 or 70c)
 Your favourite screenwash ? - Shiny
I like the LIDL W5 summer concentrate (similar to many other German screenwashes such as sonax). It is very concentrated when used neat and is great for removing contaminants by applying neat with a cloth and then rinsing.
dl.dropbox.com/u/1273965/w5screenwash.png
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 21:49
Latest Forum Posts