Motoring Discussion > Old bikes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 7

Old bikes - Armel Coussine
After dining at a pub in a nearby village last night, while having a cigarette on the terrace and admiring the shepherd's delight sunset and general view, noticed a lot of non-hells angel type bikers and heard someone mention 'vintage motor bikes'. Then heard what sounded like a Triumph twin starting up in the car park, so went out there to see what there was.

Two or three Velocettes (not fifties police Noddy bikes), one obviously pre-WW2, an AJS (but without what a fellow building labourer in Somerset called 'they big jam-pot back springs'), a couple of Nortons and one or two others I couldn't identify, all well turned out and unmodified to my inexpert eye. Another prewar job with a double-barrelled name I now can't remember although I've seen and heard it before, damn! And a military drab thing that I didn't look at properly but perhaps a BMW.

What a pleasure to see such well cared-for old machines, and how pleasing that there are such keen low-key enthusiasts about the place. Always lifts the spirits a bit, that sort of thing.
 Old bikes - Manatee
Francis Barnett?
 Old bikes - Armel Coussine
Thanks to both, but Manatee got it right.
 Old bikes - Duncan
New Imperial?
 Old bikes - Manatee
A few years ago I bought a dateless registration because it looked cheap. It was transferred from a 1934 New Imperial motorcycle. I couldn't recall ever hearing of the marque before then.

I somehow doubt if it was originally issued for that machine, as it's a 3+3 plate, CSK nnn - I've seen a CSK plate on a 1960 MG as well which might date it. I can't help wondering what it graced when it was issued, and I don't suppose DVLA would tell me even if they could.
 Old bikes - Slidingpillar
It's a Wick/Caithness plate.

While three letter three number, number plates were issued from the early 30s, I very much doubt Caithness was a hotbed of new vehicle activity! So even though it's only a 'C' first letter, the issue could be quite late. Somebody could probably even tell you the actual date of issue, although I've never seen a record of this on the web.

Caithness is the SK bit, they'll have issued ASK 1 to 999 then BSK 1 to 999 before starting on the CSKs. Probably; local council registration could be a bit funny at times.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sat 21 Jul 12 at 15:54
 Old bikes - Duncan
>> A few years ago I bought a dateless registration because it looked cheap. It was
>> transferred from a 1934 New Imperial motorcycle. I couldn't recall ever hearing of the marque before then.
>>
>>

Many moons ago my brother had a New Imperial 150cc, four stroke if I recall correctly. He was 16, I was 4 years younger. I used to, er, borrow it occasionally!
 Old bikes - MD
I have messed around with bikes for as long as I care to remember and have never heard of a New Imperial (mint or otherwise)! Once rode a Mate's Uncle's Norton Dominator in to school aged 16 (ish) primarily to wind up the Metalwork Bastar.......sorry Teacher. Not a soul saw us. Disappointing day.
Latest Forum Posts