Motoring Discussion > Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 6

Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 - bathtub tom
www.classicsonthecommon.com/

Just a heads up for this. A wonderful, free, event, particularly if the weather's kind - the forecast's showers.

Looks like Zeddo might be nearby. An informal meet perhaps?

I don't bother to drive there, it gets too congested. Luton Parkway's the next train stop north with reasonable parking. St Alban's the next stop south.

I'll have a pub lunch, stroll to my local station, stop for a pint in the Harpenden arms: goo.gl/maps/186B, wander around the common, rest break in the silver cup: goo.gl/maps/csAz, wander round the common some more and might have a pint on my way back to the station.

It's a hard life, but someone's got to do it. ;>)

Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 - Zero

>> Looks like Zeddo might be nearby. An informal meet perhaps?

Alas not, I have an 8 hours games shift starting at 14:00 that day.
 Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 - FocalPoint
Thanks for this, Tom.

It's pretty local to me, but I've yet to get my act together and go to it.

As you say, driving into Harpenden centre and parking is a pig at the best of times. But remember, the Common is on the south side (i.e. the St Albans side) and you might consider parking on the fringes of Harpenden, say on the Redbourn road (or side streets), or on the side streets around Southdown (a bit of Harpenden to the SE of the centre). From either it's a manageable walk back to the Common.

If you opt for the train, you will still have parking problems in St Albans - either use the station car park (£3 per day if parking after 10:00), or be prepared for a longish walk if you want on-street parking (try the streets in Fleetville off the main Hatfield Road). And you will have to drive into St Albans itself - traffic is always pretty bad.

Luton Parkway has a station car park (£7 per day), but if you're prepared for a pleasant walk of about ten minutes you're pretty much guaranteed on-street parking on Park Street, under the A1081 Airport Way - see tinyurl.com/comvdm5

It's quick to get to from the M1 and would be my preferred option!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Fri 20 Jul 12 at 12:13
 Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 - bathtub tom
A couple of photo's from yesterday:

tinyurl.com/bwavxkp The scene was almost identical the opposite way.

tinyurl.com/cym2qt5 I would've thought this wasn't road legal with those exposed wheels?
 Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 - Armel Coussine
>> wasn't road legal with those exposed wheels?

Strangely appealing and cute though. Looks as if it would be a charmingly user-friendly oversteerer, altthough you never can tell just by looking.
 Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 - Mike Hannon
What a great looking event - and free too. I am constantly surprised by what people in the UK are charged to look at other people's motors. I'm amazed they turn up at all.
When I lived at a pub in Wiltshire we used to organise regular Sunday lunchtime free get-togethers and all sorts of interesting motors - and people- used to pack the place out. If you turned up in something even vaguely worth looking at the driver got a free lunch too.
My favourite memory is a chap with a 1900 Mobile (pre-Locomobile) steamer giving free rides for kids.
 Classics on the common, Harpenden, 25/07/12 - Slidingpillar
>> wasn't road legal with those exposed wheels?

It's not! But as far as I know, it's a construction and use violation and would still pass a MOT in that state as the mudguards or lack of are a non testable item.

I know a few vintage cars run around in that state, but that is the most recent offender I've seen. I've not known anyone done for it, the police are not too clued up on construction and use regs, but I wonder what would happen if it hit a VOSA checkpoint.

Looks charming, but I suspect the handling is dreadful although the fact it must be lighter than a standard Beetle will help a bit.
Latest Forum Posts