Motoring Discussion > Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres?
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 18

Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - Londoner
I shall be needing some new tyres in the next couple of months. The car came with Bridgestones but a friend at work has recommended Goodyear Vector All Season tyres to me. I've used both brands happily before now.

When I asked in the past, dealers told me that they didn't make any effort to make an ideal match between car and tyre - they just brought in bulk whichever quality tyres were on offer at the time! Is this still the case, or are there valid reasons for sticking with the original brand of tyre now?

As a secondary question, are the Goodyear Vector All Season tyres as good as my friend says? I'd like a second opinion if possible, because if I swap to Goodyears I'll have to do the rear tyre changeover a bit earlier than planned - which is a lot of dosh in one go!
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - mikeyb
Cant speak for Automotive, but in the case of aerospace then the tyres are spec'd to a specific aircraft model, and you are usually given a limited option as to what you are allowed by the air-framer to fit.

I would be surprised if there isn't something similar in Automotive (i.e. characteristics), as if it was just down to price them surely all new cars would come fitted with ditch finders?
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - Zero
>> When I asked in the past, dealers told me that they didn't make any effort
>> to make an ideal match between car and tyre - they just brought in bulk
>> whichever quality tyres were on offer at the time! Is this still the case,

Pretty much. As long as its the right profile/size/load rating and speed rating. They tend not to buy Marigold Ditchfinders or Whoflungdung All terrain tyres tho.

or
>> are there valid reasons for sticking with the original brand of tyre now?

ONly for specific applications, run flats, or non standard tyres for example.

>> As a secondary question, are the Goodyear Vector All Season tyres as good as my
>> friend says? I'd like a second opinion if possible, because if I swap to Goodyears
>> I'll have to do the rear tyre changeover a bit earlier than planned - which
>> is a lot of dosh in one go!

I am running two (shortly to buy another two) Uniroyal Rainmasters. Super tyres, reasonably quiet, supple so didn't ruin the ride, but not supple enough to ruin the handling, seem to be wearing well and fabulous in the wet.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 20 Jul 12 at 15:01
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - corax
>> I am running two (shortly to buy another two) Uniroyal Rainmasters.

Don't you mean Rain Sport or Rain Expert?
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - Lygonos
Pretty sure Z has Rainexperts from previous postings.
Your right - I do! Sorry I misnamed then.
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - TeeCee
>> whichever quality tyres were on offer at the time! Is this still the case, or
>> are there valid reasons for sticking with the original brand of tyre now?
>>

I think that even that's being economical with the truth. The tyre manufacturers know full well that the majority of purchasers will replace like with like until they get rid of the vehicle, so getting their product on a new car will almost invariably result in a captive customer for a few years.
Your car will come equipped with products from whichever of the tyre manufacturers is having a bit of a slump and is punting a huge OEM loss-leader deal to generate future aftermarket sales.

There's no more reason to offer brand loyalty to the rubber supplied when it comes time to replace them than there is to the expensive bit of tin they're attached to.

For an all-season tyre, I happen to like the Kleber Quadraxers I have as they're quiet, grippy and seem to be wearing well, but each to his own. A quick look reveals that the place that sold 'em to me is now pushing Goodyear Vectors. One thing I will say is that the current crop of all-season jobbies seem to be much of a muchness with "pure" winter tyres in the slippery stuff and if you're not in the business of swapping tyres biannually, a damned good idea.
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - R.P.
Make sure they're approved by Audi. BMW approved carry a star symbol for this reason. Mercedes do it as well.
>> Make sure they're approved by Audi.

Why?
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - WillDeBeest
Where should I look for the Mercedes star on my Hankooks and Nexens?
}:---(
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - Ian (Cape Town)
Hey, RTFM!
As long as the tyre has the appropriate kite marks, and correct speed ratings, and is the correct size for the wheel, no problems.
Unless you are spanking the car on a regular basis, that is. In which case the 'brand you've never heard ofs' aren't a good idea. Especially in this day and age when there's so much decent info available online. Isn't there a 'Which?' website?

Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - ....
Sometimes the manufacturers do fit a certain tyre for a reason.

Example, Volvo P2's were supplied with Pirelli P6000. Why ? Narrower shoulders which don't rub in the wheel arches. You can fit identical size, width, profile, speed profile, load rating from other manufacturers and they will rub on the plates Volvo have fitted for this very reason.
This does not mean you have to fit Pirelli's but if you don't then these scuff plates will be getting, scuffed.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 20 Jul 12 at 17:30
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - L'escargot
>> whichever quality tyres were on offer at the time!

That implies that some customers just ask for new tyres without specifying the brand.
About 50% of them I should think.
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> About 50% of them I should think.
>>
"What's cheapest?" maybe?

As one local dealer was quoted as saying, after he'd heard a customer ask for the 'cheapest tyres for my daughter's car'... "how cheap is your daughter?"
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - Londoner
Thanks for all the feedback. This was exactly what I was hoping for when I asked the question to start the thread. I now feel much more comfortable and enlightened.

I will continue to research using the info given to me, and be changing the tyres round about the end of August.
:-)
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - henry k
>>I now feel much more comfortable and enlightened.
>>
>>I will continue to research using the info given to me,
>>
I was in the same position with my X type.
" It was developed specially with Pirelli Blah Blah Blah. Can only recommend fitting Pirelli etc."

In the hand book it says Contis for certain markets - so what is that about ?
Current Jaguars are on Dunlops.

I read lots on a forum and I agree Pirellis are noisy and when worn even worse.
Filtering through the responses, there seemed several good alternatives.
I was pleased to find quite a bit of support for Khumos ( I have fitted several to my Mondeo) so I have just fitted a pair to the X type with a great reduction in noise.
I now hope that when I change the other remaining Pirellis that the noise level will drop again.
My 98 Mondeo is still quieter than the X type.
So beware, when selecting, if low noise is important to and see what forums say.
I can list the non ditch finder brands if you wish.
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - Bigtee
Thumbs up for all season tyres what you buy is your choice, im using fourseasons by Pirelli, fitted some Vredestein on a Merc there v good.

They come into there own when the winter arrives you will see. :)

Bridgestones fitted from new yet some other cars have Goodyear from new depends what the dealer buys in at the good price at the time.
 Audi - Why use Original Brand tyres? - BobbyG
One point re the all weathers is you need to replace like for like - so if you have 2 all weathers and you get a blow out , or in my case a bulge in the tyre, you need to replace with another all weather.

So this is fine, maybe at this time of the year and also if you have a spare tyre or spacesaver to use for a couple of days.

If you need to replace a tyre in the heart of winter, when these tyres can be scarce then you may have a slight problem on your hands!
Latest Forum Posts