Motoring Discussion > Micra v Kawasaki Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 21

Micra v Kawasaki - Pat
Well, the Micra finally won.

Some of you will remember that Christmas 2010 saw us buying my only grandson a cheapie Micra as his first car as he was then just old enough for driving lessons.

Although delighted, he never did bother to take any lessons but bought a motorbike instead. Finally he plucked up the courage during the summer of 2010 to tell me that he didn't want to drive a car, his heart was in/on two wheels.

Christmas 2011 saw us paying for some motorbike lessons and test and he rode it through all weather and coped well, but the Micra remained SORN on the drive and started up regularly.

After nagging him about why he hadn't taken his bike test yet, and getting fobbed off that he was so busy at work, I had a phone call this morning.

He had taken his car test at 9.30 and passed first time with two minors.

He hadn't told anyone he was taking car lessons.

He's rang his parents and told them he dare not ring me and tell me....they insisted he did!

He said he will always have a bike but he's now got his sensible head on, and should have listened to us all in 2010. He dare not tell me and wanted to pay me the money back for his bike lessons.

Am I really such an ogre?

He and I go back a long way.

He used to come with me for a week at a time in the lorry and sleep in my bottom bunk, while I slept in the top one.
I taught him to swear like a lorry driver, to cook a meal in the cab and to spot Plod at a half a mile away.
He told me things he'd never tell his parents.

Well, this morning I declined the repayment of the bike lessons, even after he told me he'd converted them to car lessons. I told him you always had to be true to yourself and follow your own direction, no matter who raises objections.

Be happy and be honest and never hurt anyone if you can help it......he said, is what I used to tell him in the lorry!

He thought I'd be hurt...I'm delighted for him and the Micra will finally see some use!

Pat

Micra v Kawasaki - R.P.
Glad to hear he's not binning the bike idea completely though. Seems to know his own mind, wonder who he takes after...!

:-)
 Micra v Kawasaki - Zero
Had he not been foisted with a micra we would not have had all this angst. Boys do not willingly drive Micras.
 Micra v Kawasaki - Pat
Maybe not in the circles you move in Z, but he's been brought up to never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Pat
 Micra v Kawasaki - Zero
Hes a boy. They are the same in any circle. The only reason he hasn't got rid of it is because he doesn't want to upset you. For gods sake do the decent thing and tell him he can sell it and buy the car he really wants.
 Micra v Kawasaki - Pat
Certainly not....a second class ride is better than a first class walk. When he's learned that, he'll appreciate what he can afford to buy himself all the more.

Pat
 Micra v Kawasaki - Zero
> Am I really such an ogre?

Clearly. And you wonder why he can't talk to you any more.
 Micra v Kawasaki - Runfer D'Hills
To defend both positions a bit. Well, not really as heavy duty as that in truth, more a passing comment really. I didn't have access to much money at his age but I changed my cars about as regularly most people change their socks. It became a sort of hobby. Slightly profitable too. Buy something for £250, keep it a short while, polish it and sell it for £275 or something. Taught me a little bit about a lot of things in the end.
 Micra v Kawasaki - Alastairw
Young lad (20ish) who used to work in my office drives a Micra, which he bought cheap from his sister.

He now works in the accounts dept of the Maserati/Ferrari dealer in Wilmslow, and they won't let him park it on the premises as it may lower the tone...
 Micra v Kawasaki - Avant
I don't see any contretemps here, except perhaps in Zero's mind. Grandson is lucky to have a young gran like Pat who's taught him a lot of vital lessons, and it sounds as if he knows it and appreciates it.
 Micra v Kawasaki - R.P.
Out for a twilight blast tonight, catching up with a very tidy looking M reg Micra - as I got closer my Specsavers could make out that the rear tail-lights were LEDs - as I overtook the sideways glance confirmed that the driver was an yoof. Fair dos and total respect for not blinging it up too much !
 Micra v Kawasaki - Bigtee
I agree with Zero.

A young lad won't want to be seen driving a micra, it's a kebab delivery car around here cheap to run or a old granny car.

Now a Corsa, Fiesta,106, etc which he can pimp up with a big bore and fluffy dice with bucket seats this will appeal more im sure. :-)
 Micra v Kawasaki - Pat
I agree it may well appeal more but there are a few important lessons to be learned in life first:

You can't always have what you want so make the best of what you get.
A step on the bottom of the ladder is always a good way to start the climb to the top.
Money doesn't grow on trees.

If she really loves you, the make of car you drive (or price of the watch you wear!) won't make an iota of difference.

Pat
 Micra v Kawasaki - R.P.
Quite right Pat !
 Micra v Kawasaki - Zero
>> Quite right Pat !

Cobblers. A woman who fancies you (at that age) even if you drive a Micra is clearly a woofer and to be avoided in case the bag splits.

(unless of course its a cougar who has her own car.....)
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Jul 12 at 10:33
 Micra v Kawasaki - DP
>> >> Quite right Pat !
>>
>> Cobblers. A woman who fancies you (at that age) even if you drive a Micra
>> is clearly a woofer and to be avoided in case the bag splits.

The peer of mine who was most successful with the ladies in our A-level days drove a Maestro. 1.3. In hearing aid beige.

If you got it, you got it, I guess :-)
 Micra v Kawasaki - Zero
I needed the extra edge..... Unless of course you dredge the edge of the pond. Fatties, grab-a-grannies.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Jul 12 at 10:51
 Micra v Kawasaki - DP
>> I needed the extra edge..... Unless of course you dredge the edge of the pond.
>> Fatties, grab-a-grannies.

I was beyond any help a car could give me.... :-)
 Micra v Kawasaki - J Bonington Jagworth
It probably depends if you're a petrol-head or not. My older son didn't have a car at all until he was 25, by which time he'd acquired a gorgeous-looking wife and an infant, hence the need for wheels. His lack of interest in cars used to bother me a bit, but plenty of people simply aren't wired that way.
 Micra v Kawasaki - bathtub tom
>>A young lad won't want to be seen driving a micra

They made a 1.4 version of the K12. I wouldn't mind one.
They go surprisingly well if driven with enthusiasm, but that doesn't seem to happen very often! I followed one on my bike recently and had no need or inclination to overtake.
"Be happy and be honest and never hurt anyone if you can help it"

Well put.
Latest Forum Posts