Motoring Discussion > Admiral Multicar policy Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 34

Admiral Multicar policy - Manatee
Anybody got one? I've had one for a year for the Outlander and the MX5. 10% off allegedly and it was near enough last year.

The renewal however is about £50 up at £632, even before I told them about my new SP30. (The MX5 costs nearly as much as the Outlander because I only have 3 yrs NCD on that, and 12 on the Outlander - something else I don't understand, as I haven't had a claim on anything for 12 years and I can only drive one car at a time).

With the Outlander through Hastings, and the MX5 through Saga (something funny about that) I can get it to £504 or £484 by letting Saga give me a house insurance quote at the same time.

This is the second time in a few years I've tried the Admiral Multicar and the same thing has happened both times. It seems like a more refined form of the inertia hike, rather than a "deal".

Has anybody found it saves them money?

I used moneysupermarket.com for the comparisons. That bloke in the gocompare advert annoys me.
 Admiral Multicar policy - R.P.
Try LV !
 Admiral Multicar policy - Manatee
They were a bit pricier, but my past experience of them has been good.

Do they do multicar? I couldn't be bothered to check if anybody else did that. I hoped it would mean I could just renew every year and get a good deal, but the opposite seemed to be true with Admiral.
No - I had a chat with them earlier about "merging" the X1 and the 325's policies - wouldn't do it. But found me a good strategy. I really need to sell it now.
 Admiral Multicar policy - Ted

Our cars are 8 days apart and I thought a multicar might be an idea.

Admiral were way above any individual quotes on the 2 cars added together.

So, Swiftcover and First Central got my business....until next year, no doubt.

Ted
 Admiral Multicar policy - Lygonos
Don't think I've heard of anyone who saved money through multicar policies cf. seperates.

Must be someone out there I guess
 Admiral Multicar policy - Videodoctor
I have a multicar policy with Admiral for me and my son's car.

I needed to insure by 18 year old son and was getting quotes of over £3000.

My car was due as well with renewal quotes of £267.

Admiral combined the two with my son's being £2500 and mine being £237.

After trying numerous other quotes i accepted Admiral as being the lowest for the both of us.

They were also very pleasant on the phone and the documents arrived very promptly.

So overall i am very pleased with them.
 Admiral Multicar policy - Bromptonaut
We are on multi car for Xantia and Berlingo. About £300 for each car with me and MRs B respectively as main users with each other plus Miss B as named drivers. An extra £500 for The Lad on provisional as named driver for the 'lingo.

At time of original offer in Jan 11 it was about £600 cheaper for the Xantia on which Miss B was then named driver as a full licence holder but aged 18 and with 6 months full licence. In effect they removed the loading for her and allowed her to be named on the 'lingo - something the previous insurer for that car, Swinton, would not countenance at all.

Use in EC for holidays etc is included without need to notify - quite important as we're prone to the odd short notice day trip to France.
 Admiral Multicar policy - hawkeye
>> Don't think I've heard of anyone who saved money through multicar policies cf. seperates.
>>
>> Must be someone out there I guess
>>

I did. Admiral came in cheaper than Swiftcover and some others when son lived at home. When he left the scheme and moved out Admiral's renewal fair took the mickey. We are with Aviva now. I hate all this time-wasting shopping around; what ever happened to brokers?
 Admiral Multicar policy - Avant
"We are with Aviva now. I hate all this time-wasting shopping around; what ever happened to brokers?"

They're still around, and mine were very supportive a few yeara ago when Aviva refused to believe that my car had been stolen (let's hope you never have to make a claim, Hawkeye).

But if my brokers are representative, they deal only with 'traditional' insurance companies: many of the ones you find on comparison sites aren't on the brokers' database, nor are th manufacturers' own. My Octavia is with Skoda Insurance, the Z3 and SWMBO's Mini with Send All Grannies Away: no doubt both are backed by traditional insurers, but it's cheaper this way.
 Admiral Multicar policy - jc2
LV= advertize multicar.>> >>

>> Do they do multicar? I couldn't be bothered to check if anybody else did that.
>> I hoped it would mean I could just renew every year and get a good
>> deal, but the opposite seemed to be true with Admiral.
>>
 Admiral Multicar policy - BobbyG
I use Admiral multi car purely as it have very preferential quotes with a new young driver included.
 Admiral Multicar policy - teabelly
Primo also do multi car. I have just switched to them after having seperate policies. Renewal was same as last year but switching saved me about 30%...
 Admiral Multicar policy - Zero
Multicar as a term is a bit of a con really. Its really a discount, under the generally accepted commercial terms that exist everywhere else - i.e. "The more business you do with us the cheaper it is" And thats the way you look at it.

SO I get 15% off my insurance, nicolle gets 15% of hers, and we get 15% off the house insurance by having it all with one company.
It is - spoke to LV this week about this - They don't do Multicar - but they do do 15% on every other form of policy you might need. Multicar is a marketing ploy.
 Admiral Multicar policy - Tigger
I insure both my cars with Aviva on a multicar policy. Came out cheaper than individual policies, and the renewal wasn't outrageous either.

I did have my wife's car on the same policy but decided to separate it out at renewal - the additional savings were minimal
 Admiral Multicar policy - Cliff Pope
Multicar appears to work well for owners of multiple classic cars, but I don't think it means much for an ordinary car. Most companies just give a second car discount as a kind of introductory bonus, but as with all insurance matters, you have to watch the renewal quotes and get ready to switch to someone else.
 Admiral Multicar policy - Runfer D'Hills
My wife has paid around £380 a year in recent years. Her renewal came through last week at......... £960 !! ( no tickets or claims this year either )

Of course she challenged that and they came down to £600 and something.

So, she shopped around and got a well known company to cover her for a short £400.

Her previous ( well, current ) insurers rang her back last night to ask if she'd considered their £600 offer.

She replied that indeed she'd considered it. In fact on reflection, she considered it a damn cheek...
 Admiral Multicar policy - Shiny
In my experience, be careful, because Multicar locks you into a contract that can be expenisive to change/leave.

If you go back to one car, you pay cancellation fee and hike to go back to one car.

If you change one car, they can give a high quote for the new one which is difficult to not accept because the alternative is a bigger hike to go to single car.
 Admiral Multicar policy - BobbyG
But the Admiral multicar automatically brings all the cars to the same renewal date so once you get to the renewal, you can do all the quotes , comparisons etc like you would do at any other renewal.
 Admiral Multicar policy - L'escargot
>> Anybody got one?

We should be so lucky as to be able to afford a multiple number of cars!
:-D
 Admiral Multicar policy - ....
I'm STILL waiting for the pan-European car and bike policy. Seems to me there's a sniff of protectionism going on here bearing in mind the companies operate in more than one country e.g. AXA, Zurich etc....
 Admiral Multicar policy - Bromptonaut
>> I'm STILL waiting for the pan-European car and bike policy. Seems to me there's a
>> sniff of protectionism going on here bearing in mind the companies operate in more than
>> one country e.g. AXA, Zurich etc....

Spot on. How does it work in the Schengen area? If I were French and resident around Dunkerque would I be restricted as to number of weekends I could cross into Belgium or for that matter Holland?
I've got a German registered car for which ANYONE on here over the age of 23 could come and drive with no additional cost anywhere in Western Europe.
 Admiral Multicar policy - CGNorwich
>> >> I'm STILL waiting for the pan-European car and bike policy. Seems to me there's
>> a
>> >> sniff of protectionism going on here bearing in mind the companies operate in more
>> than
>> >> one country e.g. AXA, Zurich etc....
>>
>> Spot on. How does it work in the Schengen area? If I were French and
>> resident around Dunkerque would I be restricted as to number of weekends I could cross
>> into Belgium or for that matter Holland?

There are plenty of UK companies that will provide unlimited European cover
But it is far from standard.
Why is it the driver has to be insured in the UK but the vehicle in the rest of Europe ?
In Switzerland I can have five cars and two bikes with one set of plates because let's face it I can only drive or ride one vehicle at a time. Why is it I need 7 x insurance in the UK ?
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 22:56
whats the comparative costs?
There aren't any because the UK doesn't offer a comparison.
no what I meant was, how much does it cost to insure a car in say, Urban France or Germany, compared to urban UK?

I pay about 50€ per month in leasing cost for insurance so that's what ? 600€ per year about £475 for fully comp.

I need to check the excess but think it's about 150€ for 3rd party and 500€ fully comp.

The plus is we can swap and move no claims between us and when we have enough built up we can transfer to the kids when they start driving.
So I've given CG the figures to go back to NU with, it'll be interesting to see what's on offer come renewal. ;-)
 Admiral Multicar policy - DP
They quoted more for a multicar policy than they were charging us to cover the two vehicles separately. Needless to say we didn't go for it.
 Admiral Multicar policy - Cliff Pope

>> In Switzerland I can have five cars and two bikes with one set of plates
>> because let's face it I can only drive or ride one vehicle at a time.
>> Why is it I need 7 x insurance in the UK ?
>>

Does that mean you can legally leave all the other 6 parked in the road, "uninsured" ?
 Admiral Multicar policy - Soft Top
Admiral were competitive for my family's fleet. My son, aged 22, insured his first car (P reg BMW523i SE Auto) and my daughter, aged 24, with 7 months' driving experience, insured her 04 Golf 1.6FSi. The BMW was £611 and the Golf £612 per year, both fully comp with mum and dad as named drivers. (This brought the premium down considerably.) Mrs Top's 02 reg Discovery 2 was £230/year fully comp & protected NCD. Both the BMW and the Golf were significantly cheaper to insure under a Multicar policy than I could find elsewhere at the time. (Nov 2011) All paperwork was processed efficiently and I found their call centres helpful and easy to contact.

Unfortunately, my son was hit head-on by a foreign driver on the wrong side of the road, writing off the BMW only 6 months into the policy. (Fortunately, no one was hurt badly.) Admiral were very efficient and my son received the purchase price of the car within 2 weeks. He then insured his replacement car, an 08 reg Audi A3 2.0Tdi for ~£700/year, again fully comp. (The accident had been judged to be the other driver's fault.)

I have no complaints about the service I have received. Perhaps there are cheaper companies out there, but my experience with Admiral leaves me comfortable with my choice. I have no connection with Admiral, other than as a customer.
 Admiral Multicar policy - DP
The Bell Direct arm of Admiral is also very competitive for people who need business cover on their policy.
Latest Forum Posts