Motoring Discussion > Tyre pumps Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 26

Tyre pumps - Ambo
My Halfords cheapo having collapsed, I need a replacement. It should be durable, stable, have a guage with a movable cursor and - as my wife also needs to use it - light in action. I have only ever used single cylinder pumps and don't know if doubles are easier to use. There is plenty of choice but does anyone have a reccommendation please?
 Tyre pumps - Iffy
This 12v Conti pump comes with the CC3 and works surprisingly well - a tyre fitter told me it's one of the better cheapo 12v ones.

Don't worry about the can of goo - the pump works without it.

tinyurl.com/c692l78

Tyre pumps - R.P.
I have two - one is a mains powered item made by Ring (from Amazon) I would recommend mains as it saves a lot of faffing with cigar lighter sockets...The other was a superb BMW branded one - very solid and well built - 12 volt jobbie. Came with the winter tyres as they're not run-flats. I'll check the actual brand tonight. Hard to beat the mains Ring one though.
 Tyre pumps - Ambo
Sorry, I should have specified foot pumps. I can't get on with the 12v type and the is no suitable mains connection.
 Tyre pumps - Iffy
When we discussed this previously, I recall Michelin-branded footpumps were thought to be better than most.

Halfords has single and double barrels:

tinyurl.com/c3xrduc

Something rings a bell about the single barrel being the better overall buy.

Tyre pumps - Cliff Pope
I don't understand the purpose of double-barrel pumps. The degree of hard work involved depends on the combined barrel cross section area - ie the degree of compression each stroke imparts.
You could have a barrel a yard across and inflate a tyre at a single stroke of an elephant's foot, or a barrel the size of a biro and use a hamster turning a treadmill, if you could wait several days.
 Tyre pumps - Dutchie
I have the single barrel Michelin footpump from Halfords.I have used it for about five years works fine.
 Tyre pumps - WillDeBeest
I wrote another thread a few weeks ago about the Michelin single-barrel pump, which is very well made. (Or was in 2001 when I bought ours; see Humph's nostalgia ain't what it used to be thread for what may have happened since.) One expired after eleven years; the other is still going well. Gauge seems accurate too.

I've not tried a two-barrel pump but I don't see the value, since it can only fill the tyre as fast as the tube and valve will allow. At best it will move more air in exchange for much more effort. And it's too big to fit in the space by the spare wheel.
 Tyre pumps - rtj70
Two barrel design sits on the floor without falling over? i.e. a little wider so more stable?
 Tyre pumps - bathtub tom
I've both single and double barreled pumps.

It's horses for courses. You do need more effort for the double barrel, but I can put seventeen stone on it. I've a cheapo single barrel (from Wilkinson's IIRC) that's impressively efficient.
 Tyre pumps - Runfer D'Hills
Good excercise too. If you like that sort of thing of course.

(I've just been chatting to my neighbour, it's a lovely day here. He has decided he's unfit so he was about to get into his car to drive to the gym. It's a mile away across the park...Uh, go figure, as the colonials say...)

:-)
 Tyre pumps - Manatee
Well you are our coq sportif, Humph, and we are very proud of you. Some of us can empathise with your neighbour.

Though I am a zealous convert at the moment - cycled the long way round for the Sunday papers this morning, having forgotten to pick them up yesterday before going out for the day.
 Tyre pumps - Slidingpillar
My manual pump is a hand pump supplied as new to a Lada.
Got it from a scrap-yard in the know for a £1 in the late 80's and still works. Last weeks job was the cycle tyres of the local Explorer Scouts, and before that, my sackbarrow tyres.

General car tyre inflation duties are done by a Halfords electric pump.
 Tyre pumps - Iffy
I agree double-barrel pumps are unlikely to force much more air through a schrader valve - unless you have the legs of Bradley Wiggins.

Where they might have some merit is in high-volume, low-pressure applications such as air beds.

Tyre pumps - devonite
I dont "get" why you need a gauge on a foot pump! - are you all trying to tell me that you pump a flat tyre up to the correct pressure?
I only used to pump them up enough so I could drive to the nearby garage and "fill -em " properly! ;-)
 Tyre pumps - WillDeBeest
Well, er, yes.

And you drive to the garage? Don't tell Humph; he'd expect you to walk.
};---)
 Tyre pumps - Iffy
...I dont "get" why you need a gauge on a foot pump!...

Depends how anal you want to be about gauge accuracy.

I use the gauge on my foot pump, cross-checked - occasionally - with my pen gauge.

If they both read about the same, that's good enough for me.

Tyre pumps - Dulwich Estate
My twopennyworth:

Electric pumps are noisy and far too slow. Only good if you can't use your leg.

Single Barrel footpump: Not much foot pressure, but tends to fall over - not very stable.

Double Barrel footpump: needs a hefty shove which may be too difficult for some people. Much more stable.

Speaking of stables, I oversee a stable of about 5 vehicles. Each has a double barrel pump in the boot.
 Tyre pumps - Ted

Funnily enough, I've just come in from doing the bike tyres. Front was showing nowt so I used my battery pack instead of getting the mains one out. Took it up to 35 psi very quickly.

Like Dulwich, I look after a few vehicles. 18 of them are Fiestas which come with Iffy's CC3 pump and goo. The goo is fiendish stuff, I removed one which had leaked in the boot. It was stuck solidly to the tray, in spite of being in a polybag and what I got on my hands took ages to get off.

If I needed a non-leccie pump, I'd go down SP's route and look for a Lada stirrup type. They don't 'alf shift some air ! They don't kill your leg either.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lada-Tool-Kit-/261071657790?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item3cc9155b3e#ht_1060wt_883

Ted
 Tyre pumps - Bigtee
A little compressor is what you want for home use 6 litre will blow your car/bike tyres up with ease.

12v AT Costco for £25.00 well made better than a foot pump.

If blowing up your car/motor bike tyre when completly flat remove the valve core it will inflate much quicker then screw it back in of course. :-)
 Tyre pumps - Victorbox
I "progressed" from several Halfords own brand pumps over the years to a much more expensive Michelin pump which gave no better service and the tyre valve connection was difficult to get to engage with the tyre valve! I now stick to Halfords single barrel cheapies which do the job and I just don't expect them to last forever.
 Tyre pumps - VxFan
I've still got my 12 volt pump that I got with umpteen Esso vouchers back in the 80's. Still works well, and only thing to go wrong so far is a cracked power lead near to the ciggy plug - sorted out with a bit of tape.
 Tyre pumps - madf
I bought a Michelin double about 11 years ago. Occasional replacements to the hose but it is still going well and gauge accurate.

I don't like throwing stuff away
 Tyre pumps - madf
tinyurl.com/bsp3ky9

£600 for a pump!
 Tyre pumps - Ted

Nice little earner, though. 70 already sold !

Ted
 Tyre pumps - R.P.
Seems to be a typo (thankfully) some of the 70 buyers are getting them at £6.45p which is more affordable !
 Tyre pumps - Ambo
Thanks for all the postings. I have ordered a Michelin single-barreled pump, about £15 from Halfords (with free delivery).
Latest Forum Posts