Motoring Discussion > Camper vans Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auristocrat Replies: 12

Camper vans - Auristocrat
Just come back from two weeks in Scotland (Kyle of Lochalsh area). Over the two weeks we saw numerous VW camper vans (mainly Type 2's, and one split screen Type 1) in various conditions - from reasonable to quite tatty.
Three other vehicles stood out:
a) an ex-US Army Dodge 6X4 truck (around WW2/Korean war vintage) that had been converted to a motor home. Still in olive drab.
b) and c) two Commer camper vans in immaculate condition (one grey and the other two tone, white over yellow) seen on separate days. The condition of these put the VW camper vans to shame. Saw the two tone Commer on the M74, and it was sprightly enough to easily overtake far newer vehicles travelling in the upper 60's.
 Camper vans - Lygonos
VW campers are still imported from Brazil.

danburymotorcaravans.com/
 Camper vans - Auristocrat
Yes - new ones fitted with the 1.4 water cooled engine (from the VW Fox) have front mounted radiators.
The youngest VW we saw was an N reg.
 Camper vans - Dog
Did y'all manage to see any Bedford CF based campervans/motorhomes?

They were my favourite 'back then' when I tuned em all including the Commer based efforts.

www.bedford-cf.co.uk/ ... not the most reliable of vehicle though :}
 Camper vans - Dog
This is/was a nice one: www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C71934
 Camper vans - Harleyman
I've never been a fan of aircooled VW's either in slug or box form. Only ever owned one, a 1966 Beetle, one of the last 6-volt ones; it was enough to put me off them for life.

Always been convinced that the reason for the multiplicity of seats in the camper is so that one can carry enough students to push the brute up hills.
 Camper vans - spamcan61
>> Did y'all manage to see any Bedford CF based campervans/motorhomes?
>>
See them now and again, usually based on the later 'CF2' - that had the usual 70s Vauxhall 2.3 slant 4 IIRC. Saw a tidy CA Dormobile the other day. Vastly outnumbered by the VWs of course.
 Camper vans - Dog
>>See them now and again, usually based on the later 'CF2' - that had the usual 70s Vauxhall 2.3 slant 4 IIRC<<

That's the kiddie, quite an interesting engine (in its day) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slant_Four
 Camper vans - R.P.
I drove one of these. One with a five speed box and a very unconventional gate - very easy to go into reverse instead of first. Fun at the lights !
 Camper vans - Mike Hannon
A couple of years ago I spotted this beauty at a chateau near here. Now that's what I call a camper van. Under the bonnet is an early version of that amazing M-D air-cooled V8 diesel. Sounded a treat.
tinyurl.com/bo7nwgg
 Camper vans - Dog
Wow! - I've often thought about living in something like that, I'd need an acre or 2 of land though to go with it and just move orf now n' again to comply with council regs - then fly head South for the winter :)
 Camper vans - Ted

Me too, Bonzo. Fancy a joint buy ? 2 old-timers off on the razzle !

We can post our washing/ironing home !

Ted
 Camper vans - Dog
>>Fancy a joint buy ? 2 old-timers off on the razzle !<<

Frazzled more like it!

:-}
Latest Forum Posts