Motoring Discussion > A fair cop? Legal Questions
Thread Author: alfalfa Replies: 15

A fair cop? - alfalfa
Driving on the A68 from Edinburgh towards Jedburgh I was flashed by a Gatso type camera on the opposite side of the road as I approached it. It appeared to be intended for use on traffic traveling in the opposite direction. Is it a fair cop?

alfalfa
 A fair cop? - VxFan
Unless it was a Truvelo camera, you're in the clear.
 A fair cop? - BobbyG
Its a great driving road isn't it!!!

Renowned though for accients especially with motorbikes.
 A fair cop? - Duncan
>> Is it a fair cop?
>>

Were you exceeding the speed limit?

If yes, then it's a fair cop. (Whether you will get a ticket is an entirely different matter.)

If no, then it isn't.
 A fair cop? - Iffy
...If yes, then it's a fair cop...

Quite right, I think alfalfa should got to Berwickshire and Borders Police and say: "I wish to report myself for speeding."

A fair cop? - R.P.
What about reporting for overstaying in a car park ??? :-D
 A fair cop? - Iffy
...What about reporting for overstaying in a car park ???...

Too serious to be dealt with by a simple statement.

Should be a violent arrest followed by a long period remanded in custody and an interview the old Royal Ulster Constabulary would be proud of.

A fair cop? - R.P.
Quite right iffy !!
 A fair cop? - Lygonos
OP will be fine - no Truvelos there (or anywhere in Scotland I think).

A fair cop? - R.P.
Any future in having a Streetview blimp ?
 A fair cop? - alfalfa
Thank you for your encouraging replies, I will sleep easier tonight. I must say the Borders country is a wonderful place for touring and we had three great days staying in Melrose. Plenty of interesting sights, great roads and not too much traffic; we intend to return voluntarily, not by extradition!

Iffy's remark about the RUC reminds me of the time, about ten years ago when my mother, then in her eighties, bumped in to a car while parking. She didn't notice and the damage was so slight the owner made no claim but a neighbour took her number and reported her to the police. They phoned and requested that she go to the station and make a statement. I accompanied her. After taking her statement the very pleasant member of the RUC explained that no further action would be taken and the turned to me and said "There y'are sor and we didn't have to beat it out of her"

alfalfa
 A fair cop? - Ted

I recall a little funny from our car club magazine many years ago. Making good progress in his Jowett, Our member was stopped for speeding by a local bobby.....probably in ' stopwatch ' days.

" So sorry officer, I've an urgent meeting this morning "

" To be sure, sor, that's all right. You carry on and I'll stop you on the way back "

Ted
 A fair cop? - Stuartli
Apart from the fact that Scotland is a beautiful part of the UK, I always thought that a fair cop was a blonde policewoman..... (Or man as the case may be!)
 Oh how the memory plays tricks - borasport
When I first saw the thread title, it reminded me of some pictures I took an awful long time ago, 'What a fair cop she was' I thought

On reflection, fair haired, yes....

tinyurl.com/d7hadab

tinyurl.com/bwes8nt
 Oh how the memory plays tricks - ....
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=RY8YeLErbEg&NR=1
 Oh how the memory plays tricks - MD
First you would then you wouldn't. Innocent pictures though. Much nicer times methinks.
Latest Forum Posts