Motoring Discussion > motorway manners Miscellaneous
Thread Author: alfalfa Replies: 4

motorway manners - alfalfa
Prior to my encounter with the speed camera on the A68 I had driven from Cairnryan to London and then from London to Edinburgh in order to shift my daughter's possessions from London to her new home in Auld Reekie. I hadn't done this drive for years although it used to be a regular route when going camping in France or even visiting in-laws in the sunny south. Having recently spent some time driving on motorways in France, USA and of course on this side of the Irish sea it gave me an opportunity to do some comparisons:

England: very courteous, very observant of speed limits especially around road works, fairly good lane discipline but quite often the left lane was empty with lots of traffic in the middle lane. Never saw any hogging of the outside lane.

America: again very courteous, casual about speed limits which were often very low, no lane discipline but since you could overtake on either side that didn't seem to matter, generally relaxed.

France: courteous non! everyone quite cut and thrust and frequently rather faster than the limit, good lane discipline (out, overtake quickly and in again)

Ireland(both bits) well here in the North 80 seems to be the new 70 and we slow down just slightly for road works, lots of hogging of the outside lane and please don't try to change lanes and get in my way

So the winner is ENGLAND! How difficult that is to type!

The other part of the journey that surprised me was just how simple driving in London is with a satnav and an NI registration. One tells me where I should go and the other tells everyone else to stay clear.

End of ramble

alfalfa
 motorway manners - R.P.
We took two bikes over to Irland in April and headed off for Galaway via the M6 - I can happily say that this was the world's most boring motorway - bar none ! I wish there was some lane indiscipline on it - at least it would have kept us awake !
 motorway manners - Zero
If you fall asleep you get swept off the back, thats enough to ensure you stay awake.
 motorway manners - Woodster
Very funny alfalfa. Anyone would think we're a bit judgemental....
 motorway manners - Stuartli
Always found the Irish to be readily prepared to move well over to the left to allow you to overtake on basic roads i.e. those with the yellow line on the left.
Latest Forum Posts