Motoring Discussion > M6 SPECS Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 14

M6 SPECS - Fursty Ferret
There's a long section of roadworks on the M6 near Birmingham with a 50 limit enforced by SPECS cameras.

Except people are going through at a lot more than 50, so are the things even switched on? Last night all three lanes were fairly quiet and free flowing and despite sitting in lane 1 with a lorry up my backside the TomTom showed my average speed between the sets of cameras as 56-57 mph (it's a clever little thing).

So, either everyone gong through that bit over the time I went through (bearing in mind that at 56 mph I was one of the slowest) picked up a selection of tickets; the cameras are set to trigger at a higher average speed that I'm not aware of; or the things are turned off and I'm the last to know.

My understanding is that in general you're OK up to the speed limit + 10% + 2. Is it different now?
 M6 SPECS - Zero
Most sets of specs at roadworks dont work. You have no way of knowing which ones do work tho, (unless you use the phone camera trick) . One way of knowing which ones really do work is that the camera target zone has suplemental illumination - usualy a genny powering a light pole.
 M6 SPECS - Dave_
Phone camera trick Z??
 M6 SPECS - R.P.
I didn't like to ask. (but wanted to all the same)
 M6 SPECS - VxFan
At a guess, the phone camera is picking up some kind of infra-red signal - similar to the flashing you get on a digital camera screen when you point a remote control at it.
 M6 SPECS - Iffy
I read somewhere you could download something or other to make a Nokia mobile beep when it approached a speed camera.

It being the internet, I read somewhere else that it doesn't work.

M6 SPECS - Dave_
My Nokia beeps when approaching a camera if the satnav is running - even when it's just displaying current location and not programmed with a route. I don't use it much though as it keeps the screen on all the time which saps the battery.

I don't speed at all ever*, my licence is my job and by having a clean one I get to move around some very nice cars indeed.

*Well, I set lorries' cruise control to 82km/h in 50mph SPECS zones, that's about all.
 M6 SPECS - Zero
Any digital camera when pointed at an Infra red illumination will show if its lit or not. A lot of the Specs are distinctly blank.
 M6 SPECS - Bromptonaut
There were SPECS cameras from July 10 to Apr 12 covering the works for renewal of the Catthorpe viaduct. Go through pretty often on one family errand or another.

At least once, after the Leeds funeral of a much loved aunt by marriage who was a big part of my childhood, I went through without slacking too much from 70.

No ticket.
 M6 SPECS - Shiny
I have found most of these temporary ones not working with the camera trick, but some indeed have lit up.
Example of one that does for those who don't know..
farm3.staticflickr.com/2503/3986920012_813b2c75a3_z.jpg
Infra-red in the spectral range used by ANPR registers as pink/white on most CCDs.

I also find it strange how some of these roadworks have signs that say "Cameras not in use" - why is that? A trick?
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Thu 26 Jul 12 at 21:10
 M6 SPECS - Zero

>> Example of one that does for those who don't know..
>> farm3.staticflickr.com/2503/3986920012_813b2c75a3_z.jpg
>> Infra-red in the spectral range used by ANPR registers as pink/white on most CCDs.

Cos thats a permanent one.
 M6 SPECS - Fursty Ferret
And at night you can see the infra-red lamp glowing feebly with the bare eye. Does the camera trick work during the day?

Edit: Looking again at the photo above, that's a really stupid question.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 09:01
 M6 SPECS - R.P.
I'd noticed that not said anything though 'cos I thought I might have some genetic fault.
 M6 SPECS - Bill Payer
>> Most sets of specs at roadworks dont work.

They seem to be getting their act together with things and more and more of them do work.

A colleague of mine can also testify that the M42 variable cameras, which many people say don't work, certainly do now!

I think getting them working has urgency now as they can keep the money locally to run 'jobs for the boys' speed awareness courses unless people are way over the limit.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 09:13
 M6 SPECS - Old Navy
>> >> Most sets of specs at roadworks dont work.
>>
>> They seem to be getting their act together with things and more and more of
>> them do work.
>>

tinyurl.com/chxqqez
Latest Forum Posts