Motoring Discussion > CD player problems Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 15

CD player problems - Dave
My CD player, ca. Yr 2000 doesn't like my home made CD's any more. It works with proper CD's, but started rejecting one of my own burned music compilations a coupe of years ago. But over time it's started rejecting all the other home made ones as well. But they all work ok in my home CD player, just not the one in the car.

So what's changed over the years such that it doesn't want to play them any more?
 CD player problems - sajid
try cleaning the laser lens probably not reading the table of contents
 CD player problems - Dog
www.ehow.co.uk/how_4855129_clean-cd-player-lasers.html
 CD player problems - WillDeBeest
It could be your CDs. Have you tried making a new home CD? Zero can probably explain but factory-pressed audio CDs and home-burned CD-Rs are not the same thing. CD-Rs are less durable and your player may be responding to changes in the coating.
 CD player problems - Dave_
Poorer quality discs? Updated CD burning software doing it differently somehow? Different computer used for burning?

Does it play homemade discs you burned 5 years ago?

I've had to start burning at 24x instead of 52x to get discs to play in my car or any of the lorries. The car also takes 20-30 seconds to read the disc on first insertion before it starts playing, I must see if it does that on shop-bought ones.
 CD player problems - DP
>> I've had to start burning at 24x instead of 52x to get discs to play
>> in my car or any of the lorries. The car also takes 20-30 seconds to
>> read the disc on first insertion before it starts playing, I must see if it
>> does that on shop-bought ones.

Yup. Lower burn speed is the key to successful playback across a wide range of players, in my experience. Also, as a CD player ages, it generally becomes fussier.

I would do as WDB suggests - make a fresh copy of the disc, and make sure you burn the new one at the slowest speed you can. I suspect it will play fine.
 CD player problems - Zero
The led lasers used in cheap players fog up and loose power over the years

Make and quality of the blank disk, burn speed etc may all add variables and overcome the limitations of your laser but at the end of the day it's going blind

Of course this is also happening to your burner as well so add that to your mix
Please sir, Dave done a thread about copying music to play in his car, sir, and he's still here in Motoring, sir. I did that, sir, and I got made to sit outside by the dustbins, sir. (Or in Computer Related, which amounts to the same thing.) 'Snot fair, sir!
 CD player problems - Dave
It's the CD player in the car I'm talking about! It's only about 12 years old, so is it past it?

I don't really want to change it as I can still remember trying to get the new loom with all it's connectors, and the radio, back into the hole.

I think I burned the discs about 6 years ago, so don't know what the speed was, but I suspect it wasn't very fast.
The disks will be loosing their edge as well. A re-burn wouldn't hurt
 CD player problems - VxFan
>> Please sir, Dave done a thread about copying music to play in his car, sir, and he's still
>> here in Motoring, sir. I did that, sir, and I got moved to Computer Related,

I can't find the thread you're referring to.

>> It's the CD player in the car I'm talking about!

Hence why it's still in motoring discussion.
>> Please sir, Dave done a thread about copying music to play in his car, sir,
>> and he's still here in Motoring, sir. I did that, sir, and I got made
>> to sit outside by the dustbins, sir. (Or in Computer Related, which amounts to the
>> same thing.) 'Snot fair, sir!

Get back to the bin area WdB Minor.
I seem to remember seeing you while I was out there, Z.
You may have caught me on my way to the bike sheds, packet of woodies in hand.
I hope that means you were going for a smoke.
 CD player problems - ....
>> Please sir, Dave done a thread about copying music to play in his car, sir, and he's still
>> here in Motoring, sir. I did that, sir, and I got made to sit outside by the dustbins, sir. (Or in
>> Computer Related, which amounts to the same thing.) 'Snot fair, sir!

It's 'cos you went and bought an LEC. Stuck your head above the parapet.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 17:57
Latest Forum Posts