Motoring Discussion > How's about that, then? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 63

How's about that, then? - Iffy
Jimmy Savile's Corniche convertible made £130K at auction.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-19043994

Not sure what year it is, but I suspect that's about the going rate.

Similar-ish left hooker on the 'trader for about the same:

tinyurl.com/czxnp6t
 How's about that, then? - Armel Coussine
Slightly offensively flash motor, the Corniche.

Not necessarily a good one either. A friend many years ago, not short of a bob or two and once a very sprauncy fun person, bought a new Corniche - an earlier model than that one I think - to take his 17-year-old sprog to the South of France. It broke and had to be shipped back. Of course he might have driven it too far too fast. Real Rollses hated that.

Last time I met him he had a Mercedes 450 saloon. More practical.

As for the ex-Savile example, I would have had to be paid to take it. Imagine the slimy quacking old git's DNA smeared all over the seat. The very thought makes me want to throw up.
 How's about that, then? - Runfer D'Hills
Now then, now then, now then...
ehUHehUHehUH

Vomit, puke...
 How's about that, then? - MD
Be nice. He could've fixed you a nice Dagenham estate.....................if only you'd been nice.....................
It's unimaginable that that execrable reactionary child molester could have fixed anything I might conceivably want.

I am nice. That's why I loathe the memory of JS and dance happily on his grave. Not everyone is so discerning.
 How's about that, then? - No FM2R
>>child molester

Really? Did I miss something?
Silly young teenage girls who want to be on TV are children to me.
Sorry, youve completely lost me. I wasn't being facetious, I've spent so much time out of the county all sorts of things could have happened without me knowing. Did he get accused or convicted of something?

Or are you talking about taking advantage of the legal yet sadly naive?
Never convicted to my knowledge.

Not sure if they were always legal, but sadly naive certainly. In any case that music industry rutting with pathetic children is totally disgusting and out of order. If you don't see it you don't. Hard luck.

Sorry if I seem nasty about this widely admired alleged human being. I just can't help it. He looked loathsome to me from the word go. Nothing I've ever learned about him makes him seem anything but loathsome, even the much-vaunted charity work.
Do you know more than you're letting on AC
 How's about that, then? - VxFan
>> Sorry if I seem nasty about this widely admired alleged human being. I just can't
>> help it.

You're just sulking because you never got a Jim'll Fix It badge.
 How's about that, then? - Meldrew
If he had got one it would have been a fiddle!
 How's about that, then? - Zero
there are many, unsubstantiated rumours, that Jimmy Saville groomed pre legal age girls. Certainly visited several now discredited children's homes.
Never heard those rumours.

However, never been sure what to make of the bloke myself. Undoubtedly raised a huge amount of money for charity which did a huge amount of good. On the other hand many moons ago I used to work in some Mental Institutions in the UK (are they still called that?) that JS visited. His visits were quite troublesome and disruptive and did many of the patients/inmates/whatever no good at all.

As a TV personality I didn't like him at all. But despite my best efforts, and extreme surprise, it seems that my dislike of someone on television is still not sufficient reason for their banishment from humanity.
>> dislike of someone on television is still not sufficient reason for their banishment from humanity.

Not dislike FM2R, utter loathing for perfectly sound reasons. However you are right about the banishment from humanity. The repulsive old beast was human.

Does that make you feel any better? It depresses me.
 How's about that, then? - Kevin
>it seems that my dislike of someone on television is still not sufficient reason for their banishment from humanity.

You missed Gordon Brown's TV efforts as well?
 How's about that, then? - Cliff Pope
>> Never heard those rumours.
>>
>>

He wasn't called "Jimmy so vile" for nothing, I recall from the 70s.
I am sure I responded to Hump. Not you AC you curmudgeon.
It's quite possible to be curmudgeonly but nice MD.
Perhaps a mod will fix it for you Martin.

:-)
A 'Straight' one I hope Young Man.
Have you heard something?
Only in the wind.
 How's about that, then? - Mike Hannon
Anyway...
I reckon £130k is about twice the price of a decent Corniche. What dealers are asking (not necessarily getting) and what the market will stand for one without a celebrity name on it are different worlds.
It's not a bad bit of kit actually, but you can have all that sort of angst and running expenses for a lot less than that.
>> a celebrity name

Not for the first time, the near-apoplexy that invades me at the mention of Jimmy Savile's name has caused me to post stuff of which I am slightly ashamed. I loathed him on sight not for any unproven sexual exploitation of little girls, which wasn't even rumoured in those days, but for his bullying cynicism.

His function was to prevent any rational thought or aesthetic discrimination among the young with a barrage of silly noises and meaningless catchphrases (lovingly quoted by some here) and by promoting a great deal of fourth-rate music. He was an ugly monster, not stupid himself, whose job was to keep teenagers stupid and ignorant, and to extract money from them in exchange for dreary pernicious rubbish. A bit like the role of Republican politicians and right-wing 'news' channels with American mainstream voters.

He wasn't alone either in this or in molesting children, if he did it. But he was the ugliest of them all, and one of the more successful.
 How's about that, then? - Focusless
>> Not for the first time, the near-apoplexy that invades me at the mention of Jimmy
>> Savile's name has caused me to post stuff of which I am slightly ashamed.

Nice to see you redressing the balance AC :)
...His function was to prevent any rational thought or aesthetic discrimination...

Much simpler I think.

Savile found himself having to choose between playing records, earning loads of money and getting access to lots of young lasses, or working for a living.

Mmm, hard one, that.

>> simpler I think.

Nothing is that simple Iffy. Your post begs the question as to why someone so ugly, unpleasant and spectacularly indifferent to the real needs of the young was allowed to do those things.

He was chosen by music industry suits for the purpose. Do you really imagine there were no candidates with a bit of musical taste and some sympathy with the poor little punters?

Perhaps you are being faux naif. Not as nastily as JS though.
...He was chosen by music industry suits for the purpose...

Conspiracy theory claptrap.

What of all the other DJs who gained popularity at the same time as Savile?

Were they all chosen by some sinister force at the heart of the music industry?

What influence did Savile have over and above the others?

>> Conspiracy theory claptrap.

>> What of all the other DJs who gained popularity at the same time as Savile?

Iffy: more than one of those others were just as bad as JS in every way alleged and proven, as I have said above. But he was early, big and always high-profile.

They all worked in a money-driven, mean-spirited industry noted for philistinism and brutalist conservative attitudes. Perhaps you are only going by secondary sources and haven't actually seen any of this, or observed the trampling of talent and the marketing (and exploitation) of physical good looks, stupidity and empty discourse by what used to be called Tin Pan Alley.

One doesn't want to exaggerate of course. Some talent was rewarded and some decent music got made, quite a bit in fact. But there was all that other scheiss too.

How's about that, then? - CGNorwich
Was JS ever take that seriously in the music industry? He always seemed a bit of an odd character even in the sixties. In the early days the BBC didn't really know how to deal with Rock music. I seem to remember the main presenters of TOTP being Jimmy Savile, Alan Freeman, Pete Murray and the perpetually middle aged David Jacobs none of whom had much of an understanding of what was happening in music at the time.

...Was JS ever take that seriously in the music industry?...

No, nor were any of the others while they were unable to choose which records they played on the radio.

The real career makers and breakers were the BBC producers who decided the Radio One playlist and which bands got to mime on Top of the Pops.

The DJs had their following among the public, but even then it was the gig - presenting Top of the Pops or the Radio One breakfast show - which made them, not the other way around.

>>>One doesn't want to exaggerate of course

Nooo, God forbid.
Make it interesting tho...
 How's about that, then? - Meldrew
Johnathan King had predilections along those lines and went to prison for 7 years ISTR.
He may well have had, but his conviction in court was far from satisfactory, and may well be overturned at some time in the future.
 How's about that, then? - Roger.
>>A bit like the role of Republican politicians and right-wing 'news' channels with American mainstream voters.>>

Or, a bit like the role of the Democratic politicians and left-wing "news" channels with American mainstream voters.

One man's meat, etc., etc.
>> One man's meat, etc., etc.

I was afraid some soi-disant reactionary would come up with this Box and Cox argument Roger, putting the left and right back to back as if they were equivalent. The fact is that the Right really rules the world. The Left is the loyal opposition.

While it's true that at the top levels of politics, not just in the US, the parties tend to use similar techniques to go with their similar policies, and make use of the respectable mainstream media - broadsheet press and mainstream TV/radio conglomerates - there aren't any big-money backed populist left media in the US. Alas, Fox News and myriad local stations represent Roger's and Satan's side, the side of the oil tycoons and global agribusiness, with relentless, evasive, bullying, deliberately confusing, spiteful 'conservative' twaddle. Which seems to work a treat on much of Middle America, painful though it is to admit it.

Just like Savile, constantly in his heyday trotted out as a representative of the youth revolution, and the helpless teenage record market.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 17:12
 How's about that, then? - Roger.
He was a creep though! Insincerity oozed from every pore!
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 16:55
 How's about that, then? - CGNorwich
He was certainly a very odd person but that's not yet a crime. I'm not even sure he was insincere since he openly stated that he didn't like children and he had no interest in the charities for which he raised money. He seemed completely detached from the rest of humanity and with no real feelings for anybody except his mum. A rather sad character really.
>> openly stated that he didn't like children and he had no interest in the charities for which he raised money.

In a 'let-it-all-hang-out' TV programme made late in life, after retirement I think. And you could bet very big money that he didn't really let all of it hang out.

You're quite right that it isn't a crime to be odd. I suppose it's possible too that JS didn't fully understand his true political role and function, that he was just a big ugly puppet of the cold-eyed suits. But I suspect he did. I never said he was a fool, just that he played the fool.
 How's about that, then? - Westpig
I hadn't bothered to look at this thread because of having very similar thoughts to AC about the morals and 'bona fides' of JS.

Then I thought 'sod it' I'll post something a bit near the mark saying what I really thought of the man and see if I can earn myself a scowly face....and AC's already done so, second post...in some style.

I believe the terminology is 'Chapeau'.
 How's about that, then? - Shiny
Saville..One minute he's lurking around children left right and centre, then he's hanging out with Peter Sutcliffe and in his spare time he's loitering in hostpitals and Haute De La Garrenne.

Gary Glitter, Jonathon King and Alan "fluff" Freeman all pals of his. Then any enquiries into his behaviour were quashed by the BBC.
Denied every being at the notorious abuse-scandal Jersey care home until a photo surfaced.

He really did have freinds in high places didn't he.
All of his cars have a creepiness to them, like someone died in them.
>> Gary Glitter, Jonathon King and Alan "fluff" Freeman

Surprised to see the last name linked with the other 2 - have there been rumours, or something more substantial?
 How's about that, then? - Lygonos
Fluff admitted to being bisexual.

Might as well add Kenny Everett to that list...
Shut that door......................
Apparently marriage can bring on bye sexual.
 How's about that, then? - madf
I ran the Wilmslow half marathon in the 1980s. J Saville was there, running away with 4 or 5 big minders running with him. When I passed him - or did he pass me? (Alzheimers strikes again) - he was cussing and swearing. He did finish tho.
 How's about that, then? - Westpig
>> Apparently marriage can bring on bye sexual.
>>
I thought that was wedding cake?
 How's about that, then? - Bromptonaut
If fluff was bisexual then he had an interest in men as well as women.

Surely in this day and age we don't have to conflate 'swings both ways' with King's paedophilia/interest in under age post pubescent lads. Or, should they have any basis, rumours of Savile's 'travels'
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 20:54
Quite right Bromptonaut, people's sexuality is their own business.

Unless of course they use their power to exploit helpless children of either sex. And by helpless children I don't just mean the illegally young. As any fule kno the age of consent is a bit on the young side, and in any case what is at stake here is a power relationship. The age of consent may be all right when both parties are of that age more or less. But it isn't always by any means.

Filthy old brutes shouldn't jump on naive children, geddit? Does no one here have any children?
 How's about that, then? - Bromptonaut
Funnily enough AC I've got my Grammar School's Facebook group running in another tab, upper sixth leaving pictures c1978. Struggling to identify most of the lasses but there were certainly two I remember being in relationships with considerably older men.

However attractive my daughter's contemporaries are I couldn't begin to reconcile my conscience with 'coming on' to a lass I'm old enough to remember in a push chair.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 21:37
>>However attractive my daughter's contemporaries are I couldn't begin to reconcile my conscience with 'coming on' to a lass I'm old enough to remember in a push chair.

You are right Bromp. It's built in.
Well, there are naughty girls, and there are older men who may genuinely like them and treat them well, or do the other thing. God knows a lot of young boys are liars and carphounds in these matters. They learn it from their dads.

Some couple of decades ago I was at a party in a rather grand flat in the middle of Paris that belonged to a couple of rich lesbians. I was happily smoking lots of hash in one of the rooms with people of like mind, when a young woman came up and whispered in my ear: "Hey, we've got a 14-year old girl in the other room who quite wants to get it on.'

I told her rather snootily that I didn't much fancy very young girls, and in any case had a 14-year-old daughter. She vanished without a word. Presently the rich lesbians who owned the place, hitherto distinctly stand-offish, started speaking to me with marked friendliness. They even forgave me for getting drunk and throwing up on the balcony.

Funny old world, what?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 21:53
>> Fluff admitted to being bisexual.

Is that all sooty, or is there something that might actually link him with the others? (in terms of criminal behaviour)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 21:54
 How's about that, then? - Lygonos
Back in the 70s/80s bisexual was usually code for "exclusively homosexual but this makes it seem not so perverted".

30 years on no-one gives a toot.
>> Back in the 70s/80s bisexual was usually code for "exclusively homosexual but this makes it
>> seem not so perverted".

Wasn't Jessie J annoyed about being labelled like that recently?
 How's about that, then? - Mike Hannon
OK, I've given up on attempts to keep this thread on the original subject of the auction price of a celebrity's car, so here's my contribution to the most recent debate above...

Becoming an antiques dealer doesn't make you gay - but it does make you buy curios.

How's about that, then? - TeeCee
[Mouse clicks "thumbs up" thingy]

[Goes to find something to clean coffee off keyboard]
Last edited by: TeeCee on Thu 2 Aug 12 at 10:12
 How's about that, then? - devonite
This will probably be right up AC`s street!

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/05/jimmy-savile-to-be-accused-of-being-a-paedophile-in-new-documentary_n_1744620.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
There won't be any surprises in it for me. I knew he was a wrong'un the moment I set eyes on his TV image and heard his aggressive quacking.

Please note that I said early on that Savile was not alone in the music industry in having behaved in this distasteful and criminal way. It was, and probably still is, commonplace.
 How's about that, then? - L'escargot
>> Not for the first time, the near-apoplexy that invades me ...........

Armel, getting worked up like this will do you no good at all. Chill dude innit.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 6 Aug 12 at 14:52
 How's about that, then? - L'escargot
>> Slightly offensively flash motor, the Corniche.

If you've got it, flaunt it.
Latest Forum Posts