Motoring Discussion > 13 Hours of gridlock.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 24

13 Hours of gridlock.... - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19088567

Why does it take so long - no serious injury. 500 litres of leaking fuel oil. When I passed the scene tonight (westbound) the other carriageway was still closed. Total of six patrol cars parked there - why ?

Gridloack on the one alternative route (a 40 mile diversion) - took us two hours to travel the 45 miles to collect the Maj. (luckily knowing some smart alternative routes of my own).
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - Lygonos
How much diesel does it take on a damp road to unseat a biker?
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - rtj70
A lot less than 500 litres would be my guess. Considerably less.
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - BobbyG
Think yourself lucky .
The Rest and Be thankful in Scotland has had yet another big landslide and the road is closed with a 58 mile diversion!

Last time it happened I think they started transporting by boat!!
Indeed be thankful. Isn't the A55 open again.
And shouldn't this all be in motoring?
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - WillDeBeest
No, RP started with a web link. That makes it Computer Related.
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - L'escargot
For me, it was an interesting view of the trailer brake actuators, air reservoirs, and pipework, and the air suspension units.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 2 Aug 12 at 06:58
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - Pat
For me, it's a stark reminder of how little we (lorry drivers) are thought of.

Neither on here, or on the comments on the various news reports I've read, has anyone been concerned that the driver was injured......or of the cause of the accident.

I know it's a dual carriageway with no roundabouts at that point but a couple of slip roads if my memory serves me right.

Pat
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - CGNorwich
To be fair the OP does state "no serious injury".
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - Slidingpillar
Because that volume of fuel undoubtedly softened the road surface. Might recover after a wash with detergent but that or resurfacing is not going to be quick.

And untreated the surface will be very slippery - bikers fall off, cars rotate etc.

If a bit of elapsed time was the best answer, you will get a long period with nothing being done.
Yes Pat of course I have concerns about the driver. Not a moan about the truck accident per se but about the monumental chaos that ensued in its wake - it could have been a car, bike or anything. What is unacceptable is the lack of capcity of the agencies involved to manage traffic after an incident like this. I'm sure the accident wasn't irrelelvent to the driver. The locatin was just past an off slip (no on slip) and the truck had taken out around 40 meters of crash barrier. The vehicle involved is irrelevent.(Could be me tomrrow of course) the managment of the incident left a lot to desire. If I was involved in an accident I would want the resultant chaos minimized.
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - TeeCee
>> a couple of slip roads

That'll be the oil on the surface.....;-)
:) -> TC

The point I'm trying to make is that lorries don't just fall over on a straight road for no reason at all.

Pat
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - Zero
>> For me, it's a stark reminder of how little we (lorry drivers) are thought of.
>>

They are reincarnated as cyclists, then they really get sone abuse.
I get your drift Z;)

Pat

* off to find a link to put another spanner in the works on that thread now!
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - Woodster
Actually it was my first thought Pat and that's what I was looking fr. Goes with 27 years of the job I suppose. Now get that dirty great lorry outta my way...jeeeez.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Aug 12 at 01:07
Now get that dirty great lorry outta my way...jeeeez.

That wasn't my gripe at all, the gripe was of the resultant chaos caused by lack of a contingency...as far as I'm concerned the truck could have waited until its load de-frosted or hell froze over. Not interested in the investigation or how long the repairs took. The complaint iss about the complete lack of a plan when this road gets blocked. End of. I'm getting cross now !

This is a multi-agency failure - Highway Authority and the Police et al.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Aug 12 at 01:07
>> I'm getting cross now !

Dood, woh woh man chill, s'ight innit?
You'll only raise your blood presure and pulse rate and that ain't good innit bruv?
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - Mapmaker
"The Environment Agency Wales officers worked with the emergency services to block drains and absorbent material was used to contain and clear the diesel to protect the Afon Aber which is nearby."

That will have taken some time - working directly next to the road. And will cost the ins. co.
Pat you have mail !
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19088567
>>
>> Why does it take so long - ............

It must have taken a considerable time to remove the lorry's load of 18 tonnes of meat.
They closed that section of road a couple of years ago for re-surfacing - it was contraflowed and life went ln as normal, more slowly than usual, but we were able to get to work, go to the airport and visit relatives. They should have contraflowed it early on in the accident, I rode that way yesterday lane 2 has been closed off in both directions and it works fine. The local row is that they should have a plan B when something happens there. They didn't and it caused mayhem for an awful lot of people.
I'm always philosophical about road accidents, and chill out and thank my lucky stars that I wasn't involved.
 13 Hours of gridlock.... - Harleyman
Hanging meat carcasses..... nearly as bad to carry as the living breathing cows. 18 tonnes of that swinging from the roof, if the driver had to swerve to avoid something the resultant pendulum effect could well have tipped him over.
Latest Forum Posts