Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 59

Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Falkirk Bairn
Vx garage - £170

Neighbour thought it a lot for little more than an oil change and a look around.

Tried an Indie - £80 inc Vx filter and fully synthetic.

Vx garage phones back and asks when he wants appt - I'm going Indie - saving £90.......

Xx Garage

Come to us we will price match!

Appalling IMHO. It does not raise my opinion of many Main Dealers - not just Vx Dealer - LARGE NATION CHAIN with many Franchises from Chevrolet to Jags/LR/Aston Martin/MB.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Dog
BOGOF!

The garage I use, which is Cornwall's only manufacturer approved Mitsubishi parts & service dealer
is offering a buy one service & get one absolutely free deal.

Not much good to me though as I had my car serviced 3 months ago :(
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Zero
keep telling you dog, service the mitsi yourself, its a complete doddle a joy to work on.
Well, I will do from now on Z, being the cambelt has been done and it doesn't cover many miles pa.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - diddy1234
I think the only advantage to going to a main dealer for servicing is if there is an upgrade for the ECU then this will get upgraded.

Other than that over expensive for what a local indie would do just as well.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Number_Cruncher
>>if there is an upgrade for the ECU then this will get upgraded.

In the real world, that will only happen if;

- the customer asks for it
- the car has a problem which the customer has complained about

Outside of these scenarios, it is unlikely that a car would even be plugged in to the diagnostic tool during a service.

As mentioned, a first service on most modern cars is little more than oil & filter, tyre pressures, tyre condition, wheel nut torques, check lights, wipers, horn, seat belts, fluid levels, visual brake inspection (no stripping down), visual inspection of suspension and under vehicle pipework - nothing special or skilled.

Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - VxFan
>> In the real world, that will only happen if;
>>
>> - the customer asks for it
>> - the car has a problem which the customer has complained about
>>
>> Outside of these scenarios, it is unlikely that a car would even be plugged in
>> to the diagnostic tool during a service.

My local garage, prior to the car being serviced carry out what's called "Vauxhall reworks" which is basically a check on a central database for any outstanding recalls, and updates.

Can't see an indy doing the same.

Once the car gets to being over 2 yrs old then it's worth applying for a Masterfit Service Club card.

www.vauxhalldriverscentre.co.uk/serviceclub/info

15% discount on parts and labour for cars 2-3 yrs old.
20% discount on parts and labour for cars 4-7 yrs old.
25% discount on parts and labour for cars 8+ yrs old.

Some dealers also participate in the 50% discount on MOTs

>> My local garage, prior to the car being serviced carry out what's called "Vauxhall reworks"
>> which is basically a check on a central database for any outstanding recalls, and updates.

they say they do. Ever checked to see if the fault codes have been erased after you get the car back?

Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Stuu
>>they say they do. Ever checked to see if the fault codes have been erased after you get the car back?<<

At the main dealer I worked at, plugging the car in was the first thing they did and that was 10 years ago now. There were moans about how much of the service was laptop based from the older lads.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - DP
Simple fault code scans are very quick and easy to do with the right tools. VAG-COM for example is capable of interrogating all the control units on our mk4 Golf for fault codes, and placing the results into a .txt file report, complete with the definitions for any codes retrieved, within about 90 seconds of first plugging the cable into the car. To achieve this takes about four mouse clicks, IIRC.
>> Simple fault code scans are very quick and easy to do with the right tools.

Yep, Vauxhall use a system called Tech2.
>> they say they do. Ever checked to see if the fault codes have been erased after you get the car back?

Any stored (but not current) fault codes are indicated by one of the warning lights in the speedo housing on my Vectra. If it stays on until the car is started, then there is a stored code. If it goes out, then no stored fault codes.

Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Victorbox
>> My local garage, prior to the car being serviced carry out what's called "Vauxhall reworks"
>> which is basically a check on a central database for any outstanding recalls, and updates.
>> Can't see an indy doing the same.

Very true - my local (small) Vauxhall dealer checks their database for any updates or recalls for your car as you drop the keys off to them at the desk for service.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Bill Payer
>> Well, I will do from now on Z, being the cambelt has been done and
>> it doesn't cover many miles pa.
>>
With the Colt in our family, the dealer renews the Mitsubishi breakdown assistance etc cover with each service. It's full pan-European cover too, so if it happened that you needed that then it would be a very worthwhile benefit. Our Honda dealer does the same, as do Mercedes of course with their MobiloLife, but the MB cover becomes quite limited as the car gets older.
>> >> Well, I will do from now on Z, being the cambelt has been done
>> and
>> >> it doesn't cover many miles pa.
>> >>
>> With the Colt in our family, the dealer renews the Mitsubishi breakdown assistance etc cover
>> with each service. It's full pan-European cover too, so if it happened that you needed
>> that then it would be a very worthwhile benefit.

He doesn't do that for free outside warranty.
>> He doesn't do that for free outside warranty.
>>
I don't pay any itemised amount for it. And I certainly don't pay the first price they say when I book the car in for service.

One thing I do like about the Mitsubishi servicing schedule & price is that everything needed is included - there's none of this extra charging for brake fluid and coolant changes etc. I suspect this means some things are done more often than they're really needed but at least you know where you stand.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 14:17
My Lancer is over 4 years old now Bill P, it doesn't clock up many miles these days, and I spent 14 years in the motor trade, so I really should do-it-myself.

:)
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - corax
>> My Lancer is over 4 years old now Bill P, it doesn't clock up many
>> miles these days, and I spent 14 years in the motor trade, so I really
>> should do-it-myself.

I know how it is though Dog, rolling around under the old wagon, scraping your nose on the sump, testing out the last dregs of mobility.

:)
as I said, its a delight to work on, if its easy and do-able, then why not, why not save 100 quid?
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - L'escargot
>> is offering a buy one service & get one absolutely free deal.

What's the difference between "absolutely free" and "free"?
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - sooty123
one annoys pedants, the other doesn't.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Clk Sec
Absolutely.
>> one annoys pedants, ..........

Which one?
:-D
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 14:16
Perhaps the Vauxhall dealer cuts corners to match the independent's price. I'd want mine carried out to the manufacturer's schedule.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 09:10
I think even the biggest glass palace dealership could find some profit in an oil and filter change, and a handful of visual checks at £80. They could do two of these an hour, I would have thought.

Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - nyx2k
just bought an astra I/J and to be honest i still haven't checked out how much servicing is or how often on the cdti engine. anyone know if belt or chain cam
>> I think even the biggest glass palace dealership could find some profit in an oil
>> and filter change, and a handful of visual checks at £80. They could do two
>> of these an hour, I would have thought.
>>
Our VW is on a 3yr service plan and I was quite surprised when the dealer offered me a copy of the invoice they send to VW as I'd been told on forums that one issue with the plan is you get no proof of servicing other than a stamp (which are easy to forge) in the book.

I said "I bet this'll be cheap". "Oh no" said the service advisor "it's the same price as we charge on our fixed price servicing deals". He handed me the invoice. "Hmmm...you'll do a service for £68 inc parts and VAT then, will you?". Silence.
>> They could do two of these an hour, ...............

Would you do two an hour? All day, everyday, no tea breaks, no "comfort" breaks, no time allowed to don overalls, no time allowed to wash hands ..........
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 14:11
>> >> They could do two of these an hour, ...............
>>
>> Would you do two an hour? All day, everyday, no tea breaks, no "comfort" breaks,
>> no time allowed to don overalls, no time allowed to wash hands ..........

I wouldn't have thought an oil and filter change would take long - car on ramps, tools, oil and filters easily within reach. Same with the visual check, especially when a car is relatively new and still clean underneath. Surely the workshop would be set up to move cars through efficiently. Some workshops maybe.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 14:25
>> I wouldn't have thought an oil and filter change would take long - car on
>> ramps, tools, oil and filters easily within reach.

No time allowed to get keys from whoever, walk to carpark, put cover onto driver's seat, drive car from carpark and onto ramp, raise ramp, get oil and filters from stores, get tools from wherever, lower ramp, return car to carpark, remove seat cover, lock car and return keys to whoever, get keys for next car .................... ?
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Number_Cruncher
>>No time allowed to get keys from whoever, walk to carpark, put cover onto driver's seat, drive car from carpark and onto ramp, raise ramp, get oil and filters from stores, get tools from wherever, lower ramp, return car to carpark, remove seat cover, lock car and return keys to whoever, get keys for next car .................... ?

All of that is included in the labour time allowance for the service. And yes, doing service after service is exactly how a typical dealership mechanic spends his day. A good day was four or five large services - I never had enough small services back to back to fill a day.

If you do a number of warranty jobs on a car, typically, 0.2 hours is deducted from the 2nd and subsequent job on the worksheet because you only do those things the once.

Many dealership mechanics work on a bonus system, which means that they get paid for the hours that they book out. If they fall behind, they need to make up the deficiency before they can get any bonus payment.

I would be really surprised to find the labour time allowance for a small service on a modern car being above 0.6 hours.

So, returning to the point about plugging the car in, a mechanic on bonus will not start applying ECU updates unless there is a specific work item on the worksheet with a labour time allowance for the job.

>>Would you do two an hour?

I would be aiming for 3 - to be making some bonus
Last edited by: Number_Cruncher on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 16:31
>> I would be aiming for 3 - to be making some bonus
>>

My dealer will collect and return (free of charge), which needs two technicians. I can't see them servicing three cars an hour.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 08:41

>> My dealer will collect and return (free of charge), which needs two technicians. I can't
>> see them servicing three cars an hour.

1/ its not free, you pay for it somewhere.
2/ the driver does not need to be a technician
>> Would you do two an hour?

No, I'm not a car mechanic.

And even if it took an hour, I doubt they are losing money at £80 p/h, even with their massive overheads.

Like it or not, L'escargot, and lovely as your Ford dealer is, you are paying over the odds for servicing because you use a main dealer. That's your choice, and you repeatedly state the reasons why you do so, but please don't assume cheaper price = cut corners. Dealer service departments make a healthy profit.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 14:43
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Falkirk Bairn
>> Dealer service departments make a healthy profit.
>>

Read about the annual results of the Eastern-Western Group based in Edinburgh - Healthy profits from their Lexus, BMW, Toyota, MB.........................

Their SAAB outlets made excellent profits (alas no more!).

Having recently taken on Mazda, Honda and Nissan they said little profit in these brands for 2/3 yrs until the service side builds up........looks like sales is a loss leader for WORKSHOP / SERVICES!
>> .looks like sales is a loss leader
>> for WORKSHOP / SERVICES!
>>
I've menetioned this before but someone I know who used to work in management accounts for a Peugeot dealer said service pays for all of the dealership's running cost and she gave me the impression that was pretty normal in your average dealership. They make nothing on new cars, very, very little on used and a bit on parts.

However they were in a fairly tough location - not that busy and with a well regarded car supermarket close by which she reckoned was really hitting their vehicle sales.

I would imagine that a more 'prestige' dealer would be making a lot more money on car sales (and probably selling a lot more cars).
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 15:29
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - No FM2R
Service does indeed pay for the dealership, partd are included on thier line. Sales represents the Dealership profit.

It is not true to say they make nothing on new cars. They may not make what people think, but it is more than nothing.

Actually I did some work on a Main Dealership about a year ago, quite a fascinating business model.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Iffy
I bought a three-service service plan with the CC3.

Costs to date, including an MoT last time, are about £425.

Buttons for three main dealer services, including one courtesy car and two collect and returns.

The fourth service at 50,000 miles is a big one, plus an MoT, so I expect it will be best part of £200.

Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - ....
£99 for your service Iffy and you keep your roadside assist.
www.ford.co.uk/experience-ford/AboutFord/News/CompanyNews/2009/LowCostService

Just add MOT.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - madf

I do all my own Yaris servicing.

Parts for an oil and filter service - I use fully synthetic oil vs Toyota's semi synthetic - plus Toyota filter = £34. Toyota charge £110.

A full service changes the air and pollen filter. Parts cost incl oil etc above.£64. Toyota charge £220.

I recognise they also visually check various bits - which I do. Takes about 10 mins on a ramp - or in my case under a pit.

Then there are replacing pads and disks.. Toyota parts price £160 +. ECP price £100..

and so on.

Many owners know no better.. and Toyota offer very good and pleasant service and good coffee..

>> and good coffee..

That's the most important part.
>> >> and good coffee..
>>
>> That's the most important part.

I can get that in costa, and cheaper.
>> ................ you repeatedly state the reasons why you do so, .......

DP, I promise not to mention them again.

>> >> ................ you repeatedly state the reasons why you do so, .......
>>
>> DP, I promise not to mention them again.
>>
>> :-D
>>

Sorry, my response was perhaps a little forthright :-)

>> Sorry, my response was perhaps a little forthright :-)

My reply was serious.

Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Clk Sec
>> but please don't assume cheaper price = cut corners.
>>you are paying over the odds for servicing because you use a main dealer

I know that there are not many on here who agree with L'escargo's preference for main dealer servicing, but I share his opinion with regard to the possibility of 'corners being cut' on non main dealer servicings. On two occasions, when I thought I could make a saving by using and independent, I ended up taking my car back to a main dealer for expensive remedial work.

You get what you pay for.
>> 'corners
>> being cut'

So little is done on routine services these days that it's difficult to imagine where these corners that could be cut are.
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - PeterS
Our Audi is four and a half years old, and has always been serviced at the main dealer. The prices are, IMO, reasonable, though they have gone up over the years. An 'interim' service is £129, and an 'inspection' service is now £269. To date the only other service items have been brake fluid and pollen filter (twice). They, along with wiper blades which I've also had replaced a few times, also have a fixed price.

Im sure I could save a few quid having it done elsewhere, but I'm happy with service and the price, and I like the certainty that comes with their approach to pricing. Interestingly it also seems to be cheaper to service an Audi than a Vauxhall if they charge £170 for an interim type service!!
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 11:23
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Bigtee
Your paying silly money for that stamp in the service book.

Make your own and stamp it.!! Who actually checks the stamp not many just a quick browse.
At a previous Ford franchised dealer that I used to get my car serviced at, you could watch the service being carried out ~ the workshop was adjacent to the showroom and a window between the two was provided specifically for that purpose. You could see whether your car was being serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule or not.
so you stood there with the checklist in your hand and ticked it off?
>> so you stood there with the checklist in your hand and ticked it off?
>>

No, you sat there on the chairs provided.
>> On two occasions, when I thought I could
>> make a saving by using and independent, I ended up taking my car back to
>> a main dealer for expensive remedial work.

There are good and bad independents. You need to find a good one and stick to it.

>> You get what you pay for.

You are contributing to a main dealers profits.
>> You are contributing to a main dealers profits.
>>

I've never really understood what a main dealer is and how it varies from any other sort of franchised dealer.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 13:58
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - madf
A lot depends on the quality of the design and the number of design or manufacturing errors subsequently requiring software upgrades or hardware changes. I have a policy of never buying a newly introduced model to allow the manufacturer to sort all the errors out first.

Of course with some cars, the servicing of some parts is rarely done as they are so stupidly placed: see the pollen filter on a Merivas (remove the wipers) or the oil filter on a diesel Scenic : remove the wheel arch liner.

And if it's a MB, basically anything to do with a the diesel fuel injection on a new model..

If you avoid French cars that's a good start...
>>If you avoid French cars that's a good start<<

Add Franco Jap to that as well, it seems.
>> You are contributing to a main dealers profits.
>>

All employers need to make a profit in order to remain in business.
>> All employers need to make a profit in order to remain in business.

True, but there's a difference between a fair deal and daylight robbery. Perhaps I should have said 'contributing to a main dealers excessive profits'. But I'm sure the coffee makes up for it, even though it isn't up to Zero's high standards :p
 Vauxhall Astra I - How much for a 1st Service? - Shiny
At Audi Centres, they have added even more value as one gets offered to watch the service live in the reception. It is called Direct Reception.

The technician wears a headset with a camera and you can watch him doing everything in POV and he explains what he finds and you can talk back.

I really like the idea, and have seen others do this, it just looks a bit geeky and I feel sorry for the dude who has to wear the camera so I have never bothered.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 19:39
Fabulous idea!!
Latest Forum Posts