Motoring Discussion > Halfords fitters - vacancies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 24

Halfords fitters - vacancies - BobbyG
Have seen twice over the last week a job advert for Halfords - looking for part time fitters Nationwide.
Here is a link to one of their adverts
halfordscareers.pps-serv.co.uk/info_fitter.php

It kind of strikes me that this could be an ideal job for the semi retired / enthusiast looking for some pin money.

Just in case anyone is interested or knows anyone who might be!!

From a PR point of view, I think Halfords would do well to selectively recruit some older people that ooze confidence and experience rather than some spotty teenagers that you would be wary letting anywhere near your car! In the same way that it works for B&Q.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Bill Payer
There’s a clue in the advert who they’re looking for - £4.98 is the minimum wage for 18-20 year old.

Older people probably wouldn’t be too great with:

- Strive to sell Car Care Services where appropriate
- Offer additional advice, goods and services
- Strives to exceed all targets
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Zero
I aint working at halfords for 6 quid an hour.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Shiny
And if they get a teen, they (Halfrords) can claim apprenticeship money off the government..
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Dog
I ain't working anywhere for sick squids an hour!
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Dulwich Estate
I couldn't agree more.

If your nearest store is say 10 miles away then that's a minimum of £2 in fuel, a bit more on the bus, but you might get that bit free as an oldie. It's part-time, so say you get out of bed for a 4 hour shift at the top rate and pick up £24 gross. Deduct tax and the cost of travel and you've earned a princely £17.20.

If you pay NI it gets worse. Part-time might mean working Saturday and Sunday too.

There avin a larf, innit.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 17:39
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - colino
Is this a well crafted joke advert? They will pay minimum wage but apart from being presentable, they don't give a toss if the "fitter" actually is able to fit anything?
Peanuts and monkeys come to mind.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - TeeCee
>> Peanuts and monkeys come to mind.
>>

It'll be breadfruit and gibbons. The monkeys all work for Kwik-fit.....
Another take on it may well be retired with no pension other than basic pension, still feeling fit, a couple of 4 hour shifts per week will bring in an extra £50 which probably won't be taxed, £200pm - that might give a pensioner some luxury money to buy his football season ticket, or a wee holiday or whatever.

There are a huge number of pensioners out there who don't have company pensions and are still willing to work to make ends meet.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Falkirk Bairn
Anyone looking for some extra cash should look at their skills and see what they can do......do not take the first job that pops up.

Self employed cutting grass or tidying gardens will pay for than the minimum wage - say £10 / hour..........cf Halfords.

I tutor and charge £30 / hour - I have one just now but will work up to between 5-10 per week by Xmas........
£30 less mileage = £27 x 20% off for tax leaves approx £21
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Bromptonaut
What's your subject FB?

That's more than Mrs B gets for A level chemistry on the fringes of SE England.
>>What's your subject FB?

>>That's more than Mrs B gets for A level chemistry on the fringes of SE England.

Maths..........I also hand out leads to others - Eng/Chem/Physics........a few in other subjects - I charge £35 for lead that gives 2 x sessions at least.

I do not work for an agency - they charge say £35 per hour and pay out about £18 to the tutor............
Forgot to say - If they object to £30 - tell them it is cheaper than a plumber/ washing machine mechanic etc

Walking into a £500K house / New Jag and New MB in driveway it is £35+travel
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Zero

>> There are a huge number of pensioners out there who don't have company pensions and
>> are still willing to work to make ends meet.

And most pensioners are not supple enough to bend themselves under a car dashboard.

No, this is exploitation of youth at its worse. However, saying that, a youth would be well advised to take it on because a: it looks good on the cv, b: its a continuous work record and c: given a & b will probably make a springboard to another, properly paid job elsewhere.
>>No, this is exploitation of youth at its worse.

Sadly this is reality Zero - my daughter is just turning 18 and is still getting paid minimum wage of £4.98 - that is the same wage she is getting in an accountants office, cinema, and fashion retail.

They do not need to pay any more as there is a long list of people desperate for jobs and are willing to take them at this rate.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Old Navy
>> No, this is exploitation of youth at its worse. However, saying that, a youth would
>> be well advised to take it on because a: it looks good on the cv,
>> b: its a continuous work record and c: given a & b will probably make
>> a springboard to another, properly paid job elsewhere.
>>

I agree Zero, I know a (no longer young) lad with mild cerebral palsy who started at Halfords, worked through a difficult time with unsympathetic (prejudiced) staff and management but with support from his parents and others is now a well established and respected main dealer parts department employee.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 Aug 12 at 10:46
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Dutchie
My niece has the same condition.She is married with second child on the way.She has a University degree and a good job.Prejudiced staff should be ashamd of themselfes also management.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - RattleandSmoke
Quite shocking really, but then the most they will probably be expected to is to change a back box or a tyre while trying to upsell a full engine flush with an oil change etc.

The advert seems to go against everything they promised they would change when they took over Nationwide.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - No FM2R
>>No, this is exploitation of youth at its worse.

Unusually I'm not sure I agree with Zero;

Firstly goodness knows I did some scabby no-hope jobs while trying to get something worthwhile. In some ways its a kind of rite of passage. It certainly taught me many things. And I think we go too far in shielding young adults from tough realities.

Secondly, the country has decided that there should be a minimum wage and what the level of that wage should be. If the government and a proportion of the electorate are comfortable with that, I don't really see why Halfords shouldn't be.

And exploitation would surely be unjust, cruel or dishonest. And I don't see that this is any of those.

Nobody seems to believe that they should start at the bottom and work up these days, because basically nobody seems to see why they should but any effort into improving themselves when the world owes them a living.

Halfords fitters - vacancies - Old Navy
Maybe exploitation is a bit strong.

These kids are no worse off than those flipping burgers or doing other similar jobs, at least they are off their bums, learning what work is, and and should be starting on the way to a better paid job. Better than becoming a benefit addict.
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - RattleandSmoke
It is still low pay though I was earning £8.50 an hour way back in 2003-2004 for just typing a bit of code into a computer in a nice warm cosy office. At Curry's I was on minimum wage plus commission, I could earn £8 an hour before Christmas.

I honestly believe if the job paid £8 an hour it might attract a much higher calibre of candidates into those jobs, and they may get more customers as a result. I don't wish to offend anybody, but when ever I have been to fast fit centres the youths working there seem to be have less people skills than those 15 year olds working in McDonalds, at least they say thankyou!.

The experience I get from indie and main dealer mechanics is they are a lot brighter than those often working in the fast fit places but maybe I have just had bad experiences.

ALDI and Lidl are proof of this though, they pay better than any of the other supermarkets and as a result they attract better quality candidates who work a lot quicker etc.

I assume at this pay level you are not expected to be qualified and some training is offered, if so it is not so bad.

Halfords fitters - vacancies - R.P.
I have an example of this today. Went to get the new tyres fitted at the local branch of National tyres. Good branch normally, good manager who knows his onions (and bikes) - he was away today and the place left in the charge of one of his staff. Simple job change tyres on back wheels. Trouble is I went off script. I chucked one of the Winters in the boot - the plan was to see whether they would fit the 3 without spacers or other adaption....asked the question when I got there and opened the boot to show the fitter the wheel. "Can't see why not" said the spotty (but polite) youth. I could see consternation on his face though so I asked him why...."We won't fit just one though" this threw me now.....then I realised he thought I wanted to fit one winter tyre to the car...."no, no, no.....let me explain" (patiently). Anyway the arrangement was to phone me when the car was ready so I could collect it and dump it in a car-park whilst I worked. "Take about an hour" he said "run-flats see". Anyway thought nothing of it. Picked the car up half an hour or less later. Reading the docs on the way from the car to the office later. There was the usual safety check guff on the brakes and the front tyres.....I noticed that details of a "spare" had been included....yes you're right he'd classed the specimen Winter as a spare !!!
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - Londoner
>> ...."no, no, no.....let me explain" (patiently).

Trying to explain things to some people . . .
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKa9bXVinE
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - swiss tony
>> The experience I get from indie and main dealer mechanics is they are a lot
>> brighter than those often working in the fast fit places but maybe I have just
>> had bad experiences.

At a main dealer, the technicians spend upwards of 3-4 years apprenticeship before getting a bay of their own.
They are then sent on courses throughout the year, partly to keep up with new models, but also training of a more general type.

Indie's are normally owned/staffed by ex-dealer tech's - who often leave the dealer network, because of working practices.....
Today's dealer is a highly pressured place, we are all expected to upsell and work more hours often for no overtime payments....
... indies however sell their work more on (apparent) price, and the more one to one relationship they enjoy with their customers.

Fast fit places however, are mostly staffed by failed dealer apprentices, or worse....
 Halfords fitters - vacancies - bathtub tom
>>Fast fit places however, are mostly staffed by failed dealer apprentices, or worse....

My sister-in-law, a retired teacher in special needs, met many of her ex-pupils at fast-fit type places.
Latest Forum Posts