Motoring Discussion > How to run a car for £100 a month all in Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 43

How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Dog
One of the comments from said article:

"The big picture here is that the middle class are really being squeezed. Running a banger would seriously dent the middle class image, presupposing you could sell the notion to No.1 wife.

So here's an idea: Buy an Aston with a mechanical problem so serious that the repair would cost more than the car is worth, even if it could be made to run. Spoilt for choice I venture to suggest.

Park it out front and use the banger to get to the shops. "Just using this while the Aston's being repaired, donchaknow."

:)

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/mike-rutherford/9447128/How-to-run-a-car-for-100-a-month-all-in.html
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - L'escargot
How much would you have to pay for the Aston?
I'll have a look on ebay.

:}
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Cliff Pope
I've got a better idea. Don't bother with the Aston.
Didn't there used to be an Austin "Martin"?
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Harleyman
There are indeed a few cars that would fit this bill; the MX-5 certainly, the Golf, and probably the pre-Defender Land-Rovers. Up to a few years ago, when resale prices started to get silly, I'd have included the Morris Minor and the Beetle. All, however, demand a certain level of enthusiasm for the marque, but all of them also fit the bill of being relatively class-less and timeless. They also have a buoyant aftermarket industry which makes repair and maintenence easy and relatively inexpensive.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Lygonos
LR Defender for under 1000/yr - maybe if it's a garden ornament.
>> LR Defender for under 1000/yr - maybe if it's a garden ornament.
>>

Depends on what sort of mileage you do. And I did say PRE-Defender.
How much can you buy one of them for? Methinks not a few hundred for a reliable runner (ahahahahaha... LR... reliable)
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Runfer D'Hills
I notice Rutherford suggests an old diesel mondeo estate as being a good bet.

Sayin' nuthin' me...

:-)
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Zero
Rutherford is renown for being a helmet.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Runfer D'Hills
I'm a bit bored with helmets.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - bathtub tom
Cough! Cough!

KIA?
>> Cough! Cough!
That Kia exhaust leaking again BT?
>> Cough! Cough!
>>
>> KIA?
>>

That's not a bad impression actually, assuming the damn thing will actually start. ;-)
Running a car for £100 a month all in must be nigh on impossible IMO, my Lancer could be a suitable contender for the £100 a month idea, its 4 years young with 37,000m on the clock, bought & paid for, I'm in my late 50's, live out in the sticks, full NCB, can (and will) do my own servicing and use about £70 of petrol a month pottering about,
but that only leaves £30 (£360 pa) to pay for everything else.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Leif
That does not match my experience. My Nissan Micra fell to pieces at 10 years of age, too expensive to maintain. My Ford Ka fell to pieces at 10 years of age (a year earlier to be honest) and too expensive to maintain. If you know how to find a car that does not cost a fortune to maintain, and is in good nick, fair enough. I don't.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Roger.
On fuel alone we have spent £338.60 in covering 1893 miles since we bought the car in February this year. This spend includes a top up yesterday, so far hardly used. (£0.16 per mile, with no allowance for that largely unused fill) {Fuelly records, kept faithfully.}
Tyres have cost us 4 X£44, a small electrical fault £42, Insurance is £293.55, RFL, 1 X 6 monthly at £0 - dealer supplied and 1 just done, from Aug 1st. ; 12 months at £120.00.
Servicing & MOT is covered by a deal our local indy is running.
For £40 up front you get a membership card which gives a free engine service, a free MOT and several other routine items. All labour is free for included work: parts are charged. We, of course, bought our tyres there! Loyalty works both ways in this case.
Cost of car was £2600 part by cash, part by PX.
It isn't easy running even a cheap car on our income, but like many other people, there are things we would give up before our own transport.
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 14:53
Perhaps my friend Laurie Smith the leather craftsman had the right idea, he lived here for 30 years until his death:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23282874.html (it didn't look like that when he lived there!)

He never owned a car in his life but got a mini-cab into town for provisions once a week.

He had a grocer friend in Plymouth who took him to the cash and carry twice a year to stock up.

And then he had us, his many, many friends who used to stay with him for a week or two and take him out in our cars to visit all the other people he knew including actors and artists in Cornwall and Devon.

He had his Rayburn to cook on and keep him warm, had no water or sewerage charges, his electric bill was (then) £60 pa and he didn't pay any council tax as he didn't use any of their services.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Duncan
>> and he didn't pay any council tax as he didn't use any of their services.
>>

Ahem.

Would you have a word with Elmbridge Council on my behalf, please?

I don't think it works like that.
It most certainly does not.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - Stuu
I think its certainly possible if you already own the car.

My Charade cost me £1950, but after that initial outlay it is very cheap to run, even doing the miles I do, currently on target for 17k this year.

Insurance £28
Road Tax £2.50
Service and MOT £15

The money left over from that would afford you about 530 miles a month in fuel.

Even doing the miles I do, the car only costs me £180 a month to run which doesnt seem bad at all. Proving reliable too thank goodness, finally!
>> Insurance £28
>> Road Tax £2.50
>> Service and MOT £15

For what period of time are those costs?
>>For what period of time are those costs?<<

Monthly.
>>Would you have a word with Elmbridge Council on my behalf, please?
I don't think it works like that<<

He must have bin liable for council tax, not actually availing himself of services wouldn't have made any difference.

But he certainly didn't pay any in all the years we knew him. Though he might have bin recieving some form of benefits in his latter years once he came in contact wiv hospitals s/services and the like.
The lancer cost me 5 grand. I intend to run it for 10 years. So my standing costs before it turns a wheel over that time are

• Depreciation £500 PA
  • Road tax £190 PA
  • Insurance £350 PA

Gives me standing costs of 86 squids a month, no way can I turn wheels for 12k miles at 14 quid a month.

How to run a car for £100 a month all in - ....
6 years into the Volvo and I'm almost £53 in arrears each month on depreciation alone.
The car has cost me £280/month all in for 4308 miles in 2012.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - madf
My Yaris:
Depreciation £500 pa
Fuel £600 (58mpg)
RFL £30
Insurance £160 (nett of Cash Back of £25)
MOT £35
Servicing /tyres/etc) £100

Total £1425

Cost per month £118.75
My brother in Kent (Maidstone) must run his car for less-than £100 per month ( I nicknamed him The Miser years ago)

He has a nigh-on 20 year old 2 ltr diesel Corolla which he bought from my sisters son who is/was a cut n' shut merchant in South London.

Bruv is 76, has his car serviced by a 'man down the road' every year and probably only covers about 3000m a year, if that.

I hate being driven in the thing, its so noisy its as if the cut n' shut merchant has forgotten to refit the engine mountings.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - PeterS
Not in the spirit of this thread I know, but a VW Move Up! Blue motion will cost a basic rate tax payer £188 a year as a company car, with free fuel costing another £404. That's less than £50 a month :-)

How to run a car for £100 a month all in - bathtub tom
>> with free fuel costing another £404

Can you explain that please?
taxable benefit of a fuel card.
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - ....
Not linked at all PeterS as the company car driver is not 'running' the car.

They pay a nominal tax based on the MRP and pay an amount as specified by IR for fuel if fully expensed. If something goes bang someone else picks up the tab, if it needs new tyres/service its covered in the leasing cost paid by the company.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 20:40
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - PeterS
No, I realise that gmac hece my initial comment. I don't reckon it's possible to run a car for less than £100 all-in. If nothing else, if it's new enough to only need basic mantenance and repairs then the depreciation scuppers it, and if it's old enough for depreciation not to be an issue then repairs/maintenance and higher road tax probably do the same!
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - RichardW
Mine's definitely in the banger territory now.... nevertheless still running at £125 / month + fuel. Annually:

Insurance £300
Tax £220
MOT £50
Tyres £150
Service / repair £200 (done by me!)
Depreciation: £600 (£3k over 5 years)

Ie £1520 / year.

Fuel (for 15k) is another £2000 near enough on top of that. Total is £3520 or near enough £300 / month. Can't really see how I could get it cheaper than that (without driving less....!)
>>Service / repair £200 (done by me!)<<

You're overcharging you Dicky!

:}
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - RattleandSmoke
You would have to buy a very lucky banger to be able to do it, but the average premium must be around £800 a year so it is pretty much impossible. I reckon my Panda costs me around £250 a month to run, but around £85-£90 of that is petrol.

If you just needed a shopping trolley though and you only do say 100 miles a month you may just do it.

I reckon you could do it on a £1000 1996-2000 Honda Civic 1.4 if you are old enough (to get cheap insurance) .

Minimal depreciation and 40mpg.
£1200/yr = 200 gallons of UL.

Needs seriously low mileage to stand a chance (4k pa = half of your 1200 quid, leaving 600 for tax[£135], insurance[~£200 for us old farts], service/MOT/tyres/etc).

Weak points on the old Civics are back boxes (18-24mths a pop) and rear suspension parts that last 5 or 6 years.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 6 Aug 12 at 19:14
>>Needs seriously low mileage to stand a chance (4k pa = half of your 1200 quid <<

I can do 4k for just over £400. There are bangers like the Citroen AX or an old Pug 106/205 diesel which could do similar.
£600 buys enough diesel for 5.5k miles in the Yaris.
And how much does the Yaris depreciate in a year?
>> And how much does the Yaris depreciate in a year?
>>

See my post further up

£500

(£3,000 over the past 6 years. 5 door Yaris d4ds depreciate very slowly especially well maintained ones:-)
 How to run a car for £100 a month all in - movilogo
Why is the aspiration to run a car under £100/month?

It is nearly impossible for most motorists (who use cars for commuting) when you factor fuel, depreciation and insurance.

For me, the overall cost comes ~ £300/month!

Latest Forum Posts