Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 73

BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - R.P.
Just to keep track of how much this is costing to run now. Since I've bought it I've covered 2k - the rear tyres are the originals and now need changing. New Conti Run Flats are going to cost 145 quid each - which to me is pretty cheap compared to what I paid for 4 tyres and wheels for the X1 (I could have got them cheaper at around 130 from Mytyres) but went local simply as I try to keep money local and I get a lot of goodwill from the branch of National tyres I use and not least they are round the corner from where I work. Plan to take a winter tyre with me on Tuesday to see if it'll fit it. From previous experience of the tyre branch, they'll change the wheels when the time comes for cash in hand.

No oil used in that time, petrol costs are around 37mpg - and I can't help driving it hard. It'll need a service and MoT in September, it's still on its BMW warranty so the plan is to MoT it locally and get it fixed by BMW if required. Sadly it'll also need tax - but I budgeted for this when buying it. I love the car, effortless performance, too easy to a 100mph. Suspension and ride quality is not as good as the X1 in my opinion.

Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 11:13
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, and the other advantage is that you'll no longer look like you've borrowed your wife's car I suppose...and on reflection, at least on that scooter thing you'll have a helmet on so no one will recognise you.

Result all round really !

;-)

I'll um, righto then, bye !
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Auntie Lockbrakes
I'm surprised that the ride quality is inferior to the pseudo-4wd X1?

How do the 2 cars compare for interior space? The X1 I tried a few months ago felt cramped, despite its apparently larger external dimensions.

And you can't complain at 37mpg from a petrol 6-cylinder! I'm struggling to get 35mpg from the (admittedly heavy) A4 cabrio, and I don't drive it hard!
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - idle_chatterer
>> I'm surprised that the ride quality is inferior to the pseudo-4wd X1?
>>
>> How do the 2 cars compare for interior space? The X1 I tried a few
>> months ago felt cramped, despite its apparently larger external dimensions.
>>
>> And you can't complain at 37mpg from a petrol 6-cylinder! I'm struggling to get 35mpg
>> from the (admittedly heavy) A4 cabrio, and I don't drive it hard!
>>

I found my E91 330d to be both potent and very economical and formed the impression from acquaintances with 325i/330i that these are surprisingly economical in everyday motoring. My experience (on limited evidence) is that BMWs deliver surprising economy - at least in their more potent guises.

I found the 'SE spec suspension' ride on my E91 to be perfectly reasonable on Bridgestone runflats - IIRC the OP has the sensible SE 17" wheels too.

As to space, there is surprising leg-room in the back IMHO albeit with a largish transmission tunnel, the boot (on my touring) was small but practical.
The X1 was a genuine 4WD - nawt pseudoabout it. I put it down to the tyres. The OE Pirellis on the X1 had a slight wander in them, a slight tendancy to tramline, when the nreplacememtns went on them there was a vast improvment (same make size and model but different wheels - mSports) and the ride quality when the 17" Winters went on were a vast imporvement. The 3 is noticeably heaveir on the ride, maybe the suspension on the X1 was more complient.
Well, bullet bitten. The car's booked in for a Inspection II service and MoT next week - the surprise bonus is that it will get a set of 6 new coil packs - replacements on a recall. One advantage of dealing with the dealer network I reckon. Open wallet surgery due. Still it's budgeted for.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - legacylad
The computer readout on my 330Ci is 33mpg. Brim to brim actual over 2 years is actually 31 so i am very pleased. Very little town driving, mainly fast A roads with some dual carriageways driven with restraint, especially with a trailer attached and cement mixer onboard (cheaper to run a nice cabrio +towbar than Focus + van).
My Sil has a Terios. that averages 26mpg. Nuff said.
There is a lot to be said for driving an unstessed larger capacity car..if you accept the higher tax & insurance.
£280 Fully comp !
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Focusless
>> £280 Fully comp !

So not only is your 6 pot Beemer (considerably) faster and more economical than my Focus, but it's also cheaper to insure.

You can go off people you know.

:)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 29 Aug 12 at 10:31
Not so long ago, I was gently trying to persuade my wife that what would make her life complete ( and my weekends more fun ) would be if she had a 3 series convertible instead of her Qashqai. Remarkably enough the insurance quote for one of those was less than she's paying on the Nissan which seemed odd.

Odder still ( but one learns eventually not to question some things ) she maintains that her relationship with her Qashqai is as near perfect as could be and that a BMW convertible was the default choice of a botoxed boiler or the oldest swinger in town.

That was, as they say, me told...
Just taken it for its service. Inspection II and MoT. It has also developed an appetite for coolant which is a little worrying. The car still has a copper bottomed BMW extended warranty, so shouldn't be a shock. I suspect the Water Pump. Little "grumbly" with some surface rust and some dribbles on the cross members below...
Just had my Merc delivered back after a "B" service at 32k miles. They picked it up from my house this morning, took it away, serviced it, brought it back valeted and polished. Looks scrummy out there at the moment. £379. Is that expensive? Dunno. Don't care. Company car innit?

:-)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Pat
We had the Mondeo serviced at the dealers on Monday.

New pollen filter, oil and filter, brake fluid change and rear disc pads, washed polished and valeted with a courtesy car for the day.

£361 inc vat, I was very happy with that.

Pat
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Crankcase
Crikey. Even the big service on the Prius is sub 180, and fluid change little service sub 130.
And they drop me at work and pick me up later.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 19:02
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - swiss tony
>> Just had my Merc delivered back after a "B" service at 32k miles.

Does it sound a little noisier than before the service?.....
.... maybe a bit more dieselly?
Not driven it yet. But they did say it needs a new flingelwidget or something which is on order and is a recall or upgrade item. Might be the gizmo you almost didn't mean to mention...

>> Not driven it yet. But they did say it needs a new flingelwidget or something
>> which is on order and is a recall or upgrade item. Might be the gizmo
>> you almost didn't mean to mention...
>>
>> :-)

Yup... that will be the new, new injectors, of which I can't mention...

DOH!! I just did!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 20:02
An cue the biggest servicing bill ever...! In its defence there were six litres of oil, 6 spark plugs - a bloomin expensive pollen filter and new brake fluid and all the other bits demanded of a major service (and an MoT) so open wallet surgery to the grand total of 530 quid. On the plus side it's another 22k and 2 years before the next one is due and that'll be a minor one.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Dave_
I stuck the Mondeo in with a local well-recommended indy 500 miles early for its 137500m service a month ago, as we were off to the Highlands in it 2 days later. Came back with oil + filter changed, fuel filter changed (the only bit I'm not confident about DIYing) all hinges etc greased and book stamoed. Also had a lopsided handbrake remedied (was a marginal MoT pass last year). Recommendations for 2 front tyres, front pads and brake fluid to be done soon, service was £220 including VAT. Quite reasonable, although the garage chap's attitude was a little off ("I checked the pads last month, they were only half worn then." "Are you calling me a liar?") but it was cheap enough so I'll probably go back at 150k.

Car returned 48mpg over an 800 mile return trip plus 300 miles of Highland thrashing, including one memorable 70-mile blast to catch the last ferry :)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - madf
By comparison, my biggest DIY service bill was £40 - the oil/air /pollen and fuel filters needed to be changed all together...
Can't complain really R.P... main dealer service on a 6-cylinder engine. Paid a similar amount over here 2 years ago when the X3 was a similar age and mileage. I even remember thinking how pricey the various fuel, pollen, and oil filters were! It's only once every 2 years as you say.
I was considering it. First mileage based service for 2 years (still only on 20k) - next one shown due in 22k or 2 years - so it'll balance out. I'll have flogged it by then..stonkingly good motor though. Hugely capable and no skinny latte engine. Even AC would approve of some of the antics it's been asked to perform.
You've definitely got nothing to complain about... I'm about to be billed 100 quid per wheel for new brake pads... Plus new disks on the front as well. Tremble..! Gonna be north of 700 quid.
Just back from a double overnighter to Swansea. First real lengthy trip in the 325. I have to report that on A and B roads this car is the best I have ever driven on balance and taking "everything" into consideration. Hugely capable in every situation, masses of grip, superb gearchange, ideally spaced ratios - performance is absolute king though, point and squirt it and just flows through the bends obitiently. The route back brought me along the A483/A40/A470 and A5 (avoiding Machynlleth through which I had to blast through on Tuesday despite an arterial route closure) - Despite a rapid enough drive where no quarter was given, feel reasonably fresh as I put my feet up now. Good car. Good roads. Good combination.
>>Just back from a double overnighter to Swansea...

Florence is nice at this time of year but fair enough, if Swansea is your sort of place...

Not through choice Humph. Family duties. Weird though, home from work at 3.30pm the day took a bad turn at 4.20pm hence the unexpected drive through bad bad weather through Mid-Wales. The A470 was closed in two places (this is the main drag through Mid-Wales) with few alternative routes. Florence is a nicer place...may move there.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Zero
You can park your beemer at my place, I will drive you to the airport...
I would trust you with it....:-)
I'll get the speeding fine sent to Humph, I've got his address.
I've moved.

Rear nearside LED indicator has been playing up - was flickering and throwing up an error message on the computer. Usually worked ok after re-booting the car - disappeared for a while but has now come back with a vengeance. Done some forum research found it's a common fail - needs the LED pack replacing. Oh Joy. Off to the dealer on Thursday. Will fight them for goodwill payment or claim off the extended warranty. Car has otherwise been faultless - a lovely car to drive - interior smelt very new again after using the dogmobile for a week in the snow. Good car.
The job's going to cost £250.00. Dealership in negotiation with Warranty Direct - so it'll probably cost me around fifty. If they don't cough up may consider having a punt with taking BMW to the small claims cout. Should have lasted longer than 4 years an 24k.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - sherlock47
>>>taking BMW to the small claims cout<<<

Surely the dealer to the small claims court?
>> The job's going to cost £250.00. Dealership in negotiation with Warranty Direct - so it'll
>> probably cost me around fifty. If they don't cough up may consider having a punt
>> with taking BMW to the small claims cout. Should have lasted longer than 4 years
>> an 24k.
>>

Good luck with that.
Everytime someone comes up with the line 'LEDs will outlive the car' I have to laugh.
Give me a bulb I can replace for a quid from any garage, over an expensive and unique LED assembly, any day.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - madf
The LEDs on my Ring torch are 5+ years old and stand being dropped, heated and banged.

I assume BMW use cheap and nasty..just like everything new they try (swirlflaps) :-)
Didn't buy it from the dealer - although its service history was there. It was made by BMW - it's a common fault. Doesn't reach their goodwill threshold of £350.00 quid - Don't expect them to last the lifetime of the car - but less than six years on an item that is rarely used (!) ?
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Baz
There is a cheap fix: - the following pinched off a BMW forum

"after you remove the clustser from the car you have to remove the plastic lens very carefully using a heat gun and a wide bladed screwdriver or similar, then you can unscrew the light boards which will then pull through the lens side of the light, once removed i tested all the resistors which were all fine, i then checked the voltage at all LEDS and found the centre board which contained the 3 failed leds, was pulling the voltage down to 6 volt, from 12 volt, i then checked each individual leds and found the top led to have failed and the others were fine, i replaced the failed one with a new 3 pence led of the same type from ebay (slighty diff shade of orange - but looked the same through the lens) this immediatley took the voltage back upto 12volt accross all leds and the light then functioned as it should do, Fixed at a cost of 3 pence and 60pence delivery ! BMW are a proper rip off for parts ! "

Any help?
Now you know why BM owners only use them sparingly. Don't want them wearing out.
I don't as I joked to the Service Manager in the dealer - "no hurry to fix them, never use them anyway" What I did see there was a very nice looking 320 petrol X drive - 4X4 3 Series - now there's a car eh ?
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 2 Feb 13 at 13:43
>> I don't as I joked to the Service Manager in the dealer - "no hurry
>> to fix them, never use them anyway" What I did see there was a very
>> nice looking 320 petrol X drive - 4X4 3 Series - now there's a car
>> eh ?

4x4? useful now spring is on the way..... There is one coracle you missed.
Wait for decent ex-BMW one - maybe - Yeti is top of the list for the next car !
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - rtj70
There's a new Yeti coming. One variant will be bigger with seven seats.
Don't need one that big ! I like the dimensions of the original one. You weren't on the A55 in Conwy on Thursday where you Rob ?
Both light units being replaced - a very reasonable £211.00 - covered by the Warranty people - £50.00 excess. Bargain.
Well, I suppose they won't get many claims for BMW indicators so they're inclined to be generous...Not to say that others haven't failed, more that the owners haven't noticed...

Edit - I've decided I quite like Yetis too. Don't need one really but when did that make a difference?

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 4 Feb 13 at 15:51
Indeed - not mentioned it to the Mrs yet but when the Fiesta passes away quietly I was going to suggest replacing it with a Dacia Estate - keeping the 3 series for fun....she may not see it from a man maths perspective.
Mrs D'B has decided she wants a Ford Kuga...or a 1 series...or a Golf GTi...or a...

Think I'll wait until it all wears off. Might show her a Yeti.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Londoner
>> Think I'll wait until it all wears off. Might show her a Yeti.
>>
You're an Abominable Showman, Humph!
Apparently it's a bear. tinyurl.com/bxahge7
Ooooo, saucer of milk for table two please;)

Pat
Final amount will be settled by Warranty Direct - no drama - job done.
New set of front tyres fitted around 6 weeks ago - good price from National Tyres. Service light came on last week. Booked it in to the local dealer - took it across this morning. Turns out the next service is due in 12 months/11000 miles - the light was for the MoT - they re-set that for me at no cost. The car is now officially cheap to run - cost 215 per annum to service at a Main Dealer. Bargain. I notice I reported a suspected problem with the water pump last year. Turns out there was no problem, I topped up the coolant last year with the proper stuff and its stayed constant. The air con has a slight rumble - delaer said it was the drive belt. Still warrented by Warranty Direct, so ain't worried.

PS the tyres cost £6.00 more per pair than the rear set last year. Milage is now 30k on the nose - engine uses no oil at all and seems to be running in nicely.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 19 Oct 13 at 10:45
Reminds me, must get around to getting some new back tyres for the Merc. Down to 3mm. Not bad though given they have done 36k I thought.
See previous comments in the battery thread. Dropped it off at the dealer's last evening. Called me to tell me that the NOx sensor had gone on it. £487.00......(!) Flippin 'eck. Fortunately just paid the Warranty Direct people to cover it for the next twelve months. The dealer deal with them direct and they've OK'd the work. Will cost me £100.00 the rest covered by them !
What's a NOx? Sounds like bull to me...
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - bathtub tom
Knock sensor?
Nitrogen Oxide Sensor...so they tell me.
Seems to google correctly....hideous price.
Sorry, bad pun.

Not really doubting it.

>> Sorry, bad pun.
>>
>> Not really doubting it.

Dont doubt it... Never seen such a bad pun, even on here.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Baz
That Warranty Direct policy's done well for you RP. How much does it cost per annum and how old is the car?
5 years old now - got a payout on the rear lights last year, now this. I think it was around £450 notes. So almost quits.
>> What's a NOx? Sounds like bull to me...
>>

Lamba sensor.
Pig to fix?
Up early or late to bed? :)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 03:19
Leaving now. Long day ahead...You too I guess?
Certainly is! We early birds now how to get the job done...safe trip Humph!

Pat
Belated thanks...600 miles and a day's work later. Jiggered.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - Pezzer
Ouch.... what were the symptoms out of interest, the dreaded yellow EML ?
No warning light - a reluctance to start - starter turned the engine until caught. I knew it was wrong. It normally starts on the button, a sort of an automated semi-rev. This was in the grip of the Arctic blast (-2) lat week, come the mild weather it was ok. Knew it was wrong and concluded it was the battery (see discussion).

Warranty Direct have now agreed to pay up - minus an excess and £31.00 diagnostic cost - no fuss with this all done direct with the dealer. Good warranty/insurance.

Oh well - at least it's covered for the next 10 months.
What are the service intervals on that engine, RP?

Our 2011 X3 2.0D seems to have been serviced every 10,000 miles. The 2006 predecessor went 2 years/20,000 miles between visits... Progress?
2 years - 20k.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - Running costs log. - idle_chatterer
NickNZ, I wonder if the servicing regime is dependent on the importer's policy in your market ? My UK E91 330d was on condition based servicing and requested its first oil change at 23,000 miles. It cost about GBP150 IIRC, it estimated its brake fluid to need changing at 24 months old though (according to the computer, I was assigned abroad before this was actually required).

In a similar manner to you, our Australian market VW Golf (so very similar to an NZ one I suspect) has fixed service intervals of 15,000Kms (a little under 10,000miles) or 12 months, no variable service regime is countenanced by VW Australia 'due to harsh climatic conditions' according to my dealer. The cost for little more than an oil change after 1 year and 5000miles of use was GBP250 which I thought a little excessive, I was amused by the dealer's 'should I swap your tyres' (at a cost) patter. I suspect it has more to do with what the various manufacturers (including Toyota, Subaru and their ilk) can get away with commercially in this market than anything else - the UK's lengthening service schedules being driven by the fleet operators perhaps ?

IIRC, in NZ people tend to keep cars longer (there certainly seemed to me to be more 'older' cars on the road than in the UK or even Aus). I understand from some friends who recently moved to NZ that cars are particularly expensive in NZ ? They certainly saw it as worthwhile to take their 2 or 3y/o UK car over to NZ with them despite being required to renew the part worn brakes and tyres in order to 'restore it to factory standard'. It was just a Toyota too, not even a fancy BMW....
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Mon 2 Dec 13 at 11:11
Cheque arrived from Warranty Direct this morning. Very good service. Would recommend them.
Sold it yesterday....got £8800 for it. My heart was never in selling it to be honest, but it had to go sadly. I'd e-bay'd it twice with a couple of enquiries and a near deal at 9.1k. I was contacted on Friday by a local chap who'd seen on the Bay of E and as it happened I had it in work with me. He had a good look at it and was taken. He was off to see another 07 pre-facelift Touring which was on Autotrader from the a dealer on the wirral the next day. Turns out this 49k "minter" was a bit of a dog, with a tired interior and rusty door pins ! That was up for £10.2k. He came to test drive it yesterday and bought it for the starting price I'd set on E-Bay.

Really mixed feelings about seeing it go as we had discussed getting rid of the V50 (would sell easier) - Keeping the Beemer and upgrading the rusty Ford. The buyer were woo'd by that motor. Smooth as a chocolate frog.
Latest Forum Posts