Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 37

Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - movilogo
Alfa Romeo is now offering 5-yr warranty on Mito and Giulietta models (they don't have any other model for sale in UK now).

Surprising move from a traditional low reliability manufacturer :-)

www.alfaromeo.co.uk/uk/#/owner-services/warranty

Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - teabelly
A lot of the reliability issues are related to the German electronics!
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Clk Sec
>>Alfa Romeo is now offering 5-yr warranty on Mito and Giulietta models

As I said on an earlier thread, if Alfa Romeo offer the same 'lifetime' guarantee as Vauxhall, I'll think seriously about buying a Giulietta.

I do like 'em.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - R.P.
The Mito was discussed last night at home as a potential for the BMWs replacement (when the time comes) a 5 year warranty would be tempting.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Armel Coussine
Yes. There's a quick Mito that HJ liked. Quite fancy that.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Focusless
Couldn't find a specific test of a fast one, but there's this:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/alfa-romeo/alfa-mito-multiair-2010-road-test//
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Stuu
A very sound move.
And me too. Blood red or Black ?
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - nyx2k
is it really true they only sell 2 models here. i had a new GTV v6 in 1999 and 10 trouble free years with nothing going wrong.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Ian (Cape Town)
Thing to check on Alfas: cambelt change intervals. Normally a pig of a job, and costly.
There was a stink here when they changed from 120K to 60K intervals, after everyone had bought them!
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - DP
>> is it really true they only sell 2 models here. i had a new GTV
>> v6 in 1999 and 10 trouble free years with nothing going wrong.
>>

The V6 models were a lot less problematic than the fours around this time. I know someone who had 100k out of a 156 V6 with only one minor fault. Still went like stink and sounded gorgeous at 100k.
I think Humph said sometime that you need to own one at least one Alfa in a lifetime. Just specced one up on the website....mint !
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Runfer D'Hills
Blimey ! An Alfa with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty? Typical, a 159 Sportwagon would've done me if they still did them.

The Giulietta and Mito are just too small for real men. ( got to be better than a scooter mind...)

:-)
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Mike Hannon
>>I think Humph said sometime that you need to own one at least one Alfa in a lifetime<<

+1

It's a shame the Guilietta is so toy-like at the front and the boot seems to be piddling.
Alan de Cadenet liked it very much, I read somewhere back-along.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Boxsterboy
>> I think Humph said sometime that you need to own one at least one Alfa
>>

I thought it was Clarkson?
I seem to remember Humph saying something like that when I was leering over a second hand Alfa 159 back in 08.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - PR
Well my V6 Alfa is currently on 121k miles (04 plate) and still sounds gorgeous, and still goes like stink, and it has NEVER let me down...!
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - RattleandSmoke
You know you're cambelt or chain will snap tomorrow now don't you :).

FIAT have improved so much over the last few years, so I can't see any reason why they cannot offer the 5 year warranty, in fact they need to do compete and it actually gives them an edge over the Germans.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - CGNorwich
Manufacturers don't offer long warranties because their cars are more reliable, they offer them because their cars are not as popular as their competitors and its a way of building market share.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - mikeyb
>> Manufacturers don't offer long warranties because their cars are more reliable, they offer them because
>> their cars are not as popular as their competitors and its a way of building
>> market share.
>>

Exactly. Thats how the Koreans built market share by offering products that were just "OK" but having a USP that appeals to private buyers.

Would the ceed have sold so well if it came with the same 3 years as every other eurobox.....I doubt it
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - No FM2R
>>Manufacturers don't offer long warranties because their cars are more reliable

In fact they frequently offer them because of suggestions that the car is not reliable. And the cost of those warranty repairs are built into their business model. Or did someone think they were free?
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Number_Cruncher
>>Or did someone think they were free?

No. I would be much happier buying a car cheaper in exchange for no warranty.

The warranty is also very effective in keeping people going back to the dealer for parts and service.

As it happens, I do tend to use genuine parts, but, it's not for fear of losing warranty.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - sooty123

>> No. I would be much happier buying a car cheaper in exchange for no warranty.

I wonder how much certain cars would be if that were an option?

>> The warranty is also very effective in keeping people going back to the dealer for
>> parts and service.

That being so, why did so many companies drag their heels over increase the length of them?
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - WillDeBeest
Not sure how much comfort the prospect of a free repair would be as I waited by my immobile three-year-old car on a wet November night. In other words, I wouldn't buy a car I expected to let me down, however long its warranty. Would you?

Quite fancy a metallic red Giulietta, though, but if it's anything like the 159 I rode in in Germany, I probably wouldn't fit.
It's an Alfa though....
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Bill Payer
>> Manufacturers don't offer long warranties because their cars are more reliable, they offer them because
>> their cars are not as popular as their competitors and its a way of building
>> market share.
>>

I was amazed to find the new Golf our daughter got had only 1 year roadside assisitance. The SEAT it replaced came with 5 yrs cover (which was used 4 times for coil pack failures).

Every other car in our family (Merc, Honda and Mitsubishi) has roadside assistance cover that is renewed 'free' with each service. VW dealer laughed at the suggestion.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - rtj70
As part of total cost of ownership the omission of road side assistance is a small amount. Fuel, RFL, servicing, tyres and (the big one) depreciation are the big costs surely?

My car should only go to the VW dealer for one service when I have it (I am guessing I do less than 37k in 3 years but that could change). If nothing else goes wrong then it's the one visit. A shame as my mileage is lower than the dealer probably know - they promised me nice loan cars whenever I needed one :-) I might need one between now and October 2014.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Bill Payer
>> As part of total cost of ownership the omission of road side assistance is a
>> small amount. Fuel, RFL, servicing, tyres and (the big one) depreciation are the big costs
>> surely?
>>
It would buttons for VW to include it. I did email VW about it and they said they didn't offer more than 12mths as many people had premium bank accounts which include breakdown cover. They they said Phaeton and Touareg are covered for 3yrs which is odd, as surely owners of such cars are much more likely to have premium bank accounts?

>> My car should only go to the VW dealer for one service when I have
>> it (I am guessing I do less than 37k in 3 years

Ours is on 10K mile / 12mths fixed servicing.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Londoner
Audi give 3 years roadside assistance, so I am at a loss to understand why VW don't offer it as well. It's the same flippin' car, for heavens sake!
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Manatee
>> Audi give 3 years roadside assistance, so I am at a loss to understand why
>> VW don't offer it as well. It's the same flippin' car, for heavens sake!

That's the point isn't it? The extra cover on an Audi is part of the "added value" that is so expensive for the customer even though it costs VAG very little.

A pal of mine worked for Ford for a long time. When the range plan was done and the model specs decided, the options came with a dollar cost attached. They are all basically peanuts, in some cases now it's no more than settings in firmware, the marginal cost of which is nil. You still have to buy the next model up at £000 more to get them though.

Sat nav, leather seats and a size larger wheels can cost nearly £3000 even on a Honda, or did when I last bought one - the factory cost will be nearer a hundred or two.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - oilburner
Same trick as with offering the same engine with differing power outputs.

One engine with 2,3 or more power outputs, all with identical mechanicals. Cost to manufacturer for "higher" powered engine = nil, cost to consumer =£1,000s.

Nothing wrong in that, the cost of the car is based on its value to the purchaser, not the cost to build it. It's just become more transparent to us, as the consumer (and easier to bypass!), in these days of features determined as much by firmware settings as actual hardware differences.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Woodster
Does anyone really consider a modern Alfa to be anything other than a parts bin Fiat? That's a bit extreme I know, but the Mito is based on the Punto and has a large dose of Fiat in it. I can't see a modern Alfa having any relation to old Alfas anymore than I can see a Veyron being remotely linked to Bugattis of old.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Iffy
...I can't see a modern Alfa having any relation to old Alfas anymore...

Which is probably a good thing.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - corax
>> Does anyone really consider a modern Alfa to be anything other than a parts bin
>> Fiat?

No, but I still think they look nicer than most of the dreary shapes on the road these days.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Clk Sec
>>No, but I still think they look nicer than most of the dreary shapes on the road these days.

Indeed they do.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - WillDeBeest
Yes, and they probably feel nicer to be in too, at least for those small enough to fit inside. But we've been over and over this in the context of Volvo/Ford, Saab/Opel and anything/VW; first find what you need, then if you have cash to spare, spend it on what you like - which may be a cellarful of wine or just the 'same car' in a more appealing package.

I have to say I was shocked by the 159. In the 1990s it was routine to find even mainstream Fords and the like short of space, especially headroom, but things are generally much better now. I love he look of the 159 and I'd been playing with the idea of one as a replacement for the S60 for me to drive to work, but it's right off the list now. I hope the Giulietta is better.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Woodster
''But we've been over and over this in the context of Volvo/Ford, Saab/Opel and anything/VW; first find what you need, then if you have cash to spare, spend it on what you like - which may be a cellarful of wine or just the 'same car' in a more appealing package.''

Yes, fair point.
 Alfa Romeo - 5-yr warranty - Avant
">> Audi give 3 years roadside assistance, so I am at a loss to understand why
>> VW don't offer it as well. It's the same flippin' car, for heavens sake!

That's the point isn't it? The extra cover on an Audi is part of the "added value" that is so expensive for the customer even though it costs VAG very little."

But Skoda give 3 years' assistance as well, which makes VW's argument just plain stoopid.
Latest Forum Posts