Motoring Discussion > Airbags & eye injuries Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 6

Airbags & eye injuries - henry k
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185874/Kelly-Green-Schoolgirl-16-blinded-airbag-car-crash-Gleadless-Sheffield.html

Some selective editing:-

A girl was left blind after an airbag inflated and hit her in the face during a horrific car crash.

.....when it hit a pothole, collided with the central reservation and flipped on to its roof.

Both the driver and passenger airbags inflated on impact, but while her father Geoff walked away from the crash with just cuts and bruises, Kelly was left with devastating injuries to her face.

'You just don't think an airbag could cause as much damage as this'

The family from Eckington, near Sheffield, have contacted solicitors.

It would seem that the airbags saved lives in this crash but I wonder why the difference in injuries between driver and passenger.
I am not surprised at solicitors being involved .
 Airbags & eye injuries - WillDeBeest
Too many unknowns here: was she wearing her seatbelt correctly, was she sitting appropriately (I still see passengers with their feet on the dashboard, resting where the airbag is in my cars) were there other objects thrown around by the accident or the deployment of the 'bags? And what would her condition have been in the absence of the airbag? She's clearly been unlucky, but the bad luck was to be in a car that rolled over, not that the car had airbags.

While we're at it, what do we make of 'hit a pothole, collided with the central reservation...'?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 11 Aug 12 at 11:47
 Airbags & eye injuries - Baz
The kind of reporting that makes your blood boil..... clearly more to it than that. My wife was in a head on crash at 40 mph last year, both airbags deployed, the car was destroyed - much worse than that BMW. She walked away with bruises, not even her driving glasses were broken. I dread to think of the outcome with no airbags.
 Airbags & eye injuries - Lygonos
I wonder if they contacted solicitors with the intention of the girl suing her father for driving like a fudge.
 Airbags & eye injuries - Fullchat
Which as a third party is her entitlement.
 Airbags & eye injuries - Fursty Ferret
A wild guess would suggest she's one of the girls who have the seat scooted as far forward as it'll go, ending up about 4 inches from the wheel. Makes me uncomfortable just driving past them and have often wondered what the consequences of the airbag deploying would be. Now, it seems, we might know.
 Airbags & eye injuries - WillDeBeest
Pretty sure she wasn't driving, Fursty; she's only 16. I do recognize the type you describe, though: known to us as 'wheelbiters'. And yes, you're right about the risk they run.
Latest Forum Posts