Motoring Discussion > Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 20

Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - PR
I dont know what is worse, the fact they were taking pictures of an accident and trapped woman, or the fact they were taking pictures whilst driving.......and that whilst police were present!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-19247077
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Pat
I'm not at all surprised by this but glad they have been dealt with, although in my opinion they should have been prosecuted to set an example.

This year to date I have delivered training to around 250 lorry drivers.
In each session I ask how many use a mobile phone while driving. Only a couple have said they do.
How many of them text while driving: approx 40%
How many update Facebook of Tweet: approx 30%
Then I ask how many take photo's of 'the idiot driver in front of them doing something stupid' while driving.

At least 75% admit to doing this on a regular basis.

That's just the ones who admit it.

I don't for one minute think this is peculiar to lorry drivers and would like to bet that it's just as common among car drivers too from the pictures I see posted on line.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 05:55
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Tigger
I passed on LGV driver reading a paperback at the wheel on the M40 about three years ago. It was easy to spot that something was amiss as he was in and out of the hard shoulder.

I saw a car driver doing the same thing on the M25 this week. Again in and out of the hard shoulder, and doing about 50-60mph.

I caught a little of one of the police shows on TV the other night, and they were trying to get past a number of vehicles in lane 3, lights and sirens on. As the incar footage clearly showed the reg marks, I'm really surprised that warning letters (as a minimum) weren't sent out about driving without due care and attention.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Westpig
>> I passed on LGV driver reading a paperback at the wheel on the M40 about
>> three years ago.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I'm not sure I really believed that people read books whilst driving. Now I know it's true.

I was a passenger in my brother's van, when we hit traffic at Bristol on the M5. We overtook a Nissan Navara, he doing about 40mph, we doing about 50mph...and there he was reading a book. Couldn't believe my eyes.

How did he think he'd notice the car in front suddenly stop, as they do in traffic jams? What a pillock. Was going to ring the phone number on the sign writing and moan..but then didn't bother.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-19268793
Some pics of offenders.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Dog
Rubberknickers have always been around of course, its part of human nature to have a good gawp.

I've rolled many a fag while driving a vehicle AND lived to tell the tale, plus there's the countless times I've fumbled with those infernal cassette thingamajigs - life goes on, usually.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - bathtub tom
I got to the end of the second line of your post above and my mind was racing ahead to my younger days.

Anyone else care to admit the same?

;>)
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Focusless
I can understand the 'need' to roll a fag or fiddle with cassette tapes, but take photos of a car crash? Having a quick look as you drive past is one thing, but going to the trouble of getting the phone/camera out is something else.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - L'escargot
>> I can understand the 'need' to roll a fag ...........

Isn't that something which homosexuals do?
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - TheManWithNoName
I make it a point never to look at a crash whilst passing by. I'm too busy watching what other drivers are doing because THEY are the ones potentially straying into my lane or braking late whilst distracted.
I've often thought it a shame the Police don't have quick erecting screens to put up to cover the scene. It would afford some privacy to the victim and stop the gawpers.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Iffy
I watched a rubbernecker hit the car in front at an accident scene on an A-road in Shropshire earlier this year.

The incident only took a second or two, but it was one of those you could see was about to happen.

I was stopped on the other side of the road, and my main - selfish - concern was that rubbernecker would squarely ram the car in front, and not swerve in my direction.

His face immediately afterwards was a picture - literally head in hands.

And I could 'see' his wife in the passenger seat begin the verbal tongue lashing.

Pity the poor sap who he hit.

Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Bromptonaut
Couple of times recently on the M1 I've seen the overheads display 'Queue' and an advisory 40. Nothing on our carriageway but the 'Clear' was immediately after an incident on the other side - warning was obviously for 'peturbations' caused by rubbernecking.

Wonder how many drivers just though 'false message' and just carried on regardless.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Aug 12 at 01:51
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - FocalPoint
"Wonder how many drivers just though 'false message' and just carried on regardless."

There's another can of worms.

Gantry information signs are, in my experience, mostly irrelevant or plain wrong. I recall a while back on the A1M near Peterborough going south and passing various indications of "debris in road" - and absolutely nothing to be seen. This went on for miles.

The result is that many drivers don't take them seriously - maybe don't even actually take them in at all. For example, the M1 north from Junction 8 has variable speed restrictions, shown (when in operation) by gantry signs indicating the speed surrounded by a red ring (which means the maximum speed is mandatory, not advisory). I couldn't begin to count the number of vehicles I've seen sailing past at speeds often hugely in excess of the limit. What they may not know is that many of the gantries have speed cameras with no specific warning of their presence.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Aug 12 at 01:51
>>Isn't that something which homosexuals do?<<

You're not thinking of queer bashing are you L'es: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rolling%20fags
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - DP
>> I can understand the 'need' to roll a fag

My late grandfather, who was an HGV driver his entire working life could roll a perfect cigarette one handed, and without looking at it. It was very impressive.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Mr. Ecs
I was waiting for an underground train in central London. I was at one end of the platform, when the train come in. I then heard shouts and screams. As I looked along I saw a woman spreadeagled across the line. The train pulled to a stop just before where she was positioned. I immediately went to the emergency phone and contacted their control to report. While I looked along the platform and saw loads of people with their phones taking pictures. Very selfish, sad behaviour.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Iffy
...and saw loads of people with their phones taking pictures...

Seems to be happening more and more.

I can see it leading to, er, disharmony among the onlookers.

In other words, someone's going to get filled in.

What's a blimming camera doing on a mobile bone anyway is what I'd like to know.

My £10 Motorola that I bought from asda 5 years ago ain't got one, and don't need one.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Cliff Pope

>> My late grandfather, who was an HGV driver his entire working life could roll a
>> perfect cigarette one handed, and without looking at it. It was very impressive.
>>

I remember watching in fascination as someone did that while strap-hanging on a tube train.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - No FM2R
Rubberneckers are ridiculous.

However, on another note, have you noticed there are cell phones with cameras absolutely EVERYWHERE you go these days, unless you're a kidnapping alien or the Loch Ness Monster in which case they'll only be a mentally unstable nutter with a brownie.
 Passing rubberneckers taking pictures! - Tigger
Daily mail finally catches up ...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2189200/Police-shame-80-ghouls-slowed-pictures-wreckage-motorway-smash-left-woman-21-fighting-life.html
Last edited by: Tigger on Thu 16 Aug 12 at 18:09
Latest Forum Posts