Motoring Discussion > Windscreen and MOT Legal Questions
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 9

Windscreen and MOT - Stuu
My wifes windscreen has yet another crack in it, just 4 months after having a new one fitted due to the resurfacing of the roads ( same thing happened to me, must be the year for it ).

Anyhow, the crack is literally down by the tax disc and has curved downwards towards the base of the screen about 3 inches out - is this an MOT failure? Asking because the MOT is due in 6 weeks so will have to get it done soon as we are away when the MOT due date comes up.
 Windscreen and MOT - WillDeBeest
You don't say how long the crack is, or whether it's within the area swept by the wipers. Those - for damage away from the driver's line of view - are the MoT criteria as I understand them. You could fit a shorter wiper blade on that side if it's marginal.
};---)
 Windscreen and MOT - VxFan
>> Anyhow, the crack is literally down by the tax disc and has curved downwards towards
>> the base of the screen about 3 inches out - is this an MOT failure?

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm should give you some pointers.

Don't forget though that windscreens on modern cars (the ones that are bonded in) also add structual strength to the car. A cracked windscreen weakens the cars structure.

>> Asking because the MOT is due in 6 weeks so will have to get it done soon as we are away when the MOT due date comes up.

But you're able to get a new ticket up to one month before the due date which then gives you 12 months and "x" days before it's due again. In other words you can get up to a 13 month MOT certificate.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 10:21
 Windscreen and MOT - Lygonos
Is there possibly some corrosion around the screen? - had a cracked screen in a BMW 7 series for no obvious reason and upon removing it there was a nice wee raised bit of bubbling rust where the screen seal sat that had probably caused a pressure point against the glass.
 Windscreen and MOT - Stuu
The crack isnt within the sweep of the wipers, its well away from there and bit that has 'broken away'in the bottom corner is about the size of a childs hand.

Definately caused by a stone flicking up, we heard it and you can see the impact point, due to this moronic method for resurfacing roads. My wife used some quite colourful language at the time as that will be the 3rd windscreen we have had damaged by this resurfacing this year. Its getting irritating I must admit!
 Windscreen and MOT - Cliff Pope
Mud, artfully applied, and careful repositioning of the tax disc so that the crack coincides with the edge of the disc or the line across the middle.
Also consider a sticky owners club badge or a parking permit.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 12:52
 Windscreen and MOT - Iffy
I have a small stone chip mark in the windscreen of the CC3.

I was wondering about the MoT, but the mark could easily be mistaken for the remains of a dead fly, unless you run your finger over it.

Windscreen and MOT - Robin O'Reliant

>> I was wondering about the MoT, but the mark could easily be mistaken for the
>> remains of a dead fly, unless you run your finger over it.
>>
Glue a dead fly onto it.
 Windscreen and MOT - Iffy
...Glue a dead fly onto it...

Good idea, it passed last time but I'll bear it mind for next year.

Windscreen and MOT - RichardW
I had a tiny chip like that in the centre of the Picasso's screen. Washed it at below -10C and bang - crack right across.... Meanwhile Xantia has had a bullet hole in the passenger side for nearly 3 years which is just under the 40mm MOT limit, and has not cracked. Mind you at 135k the rest of the windscreen is looking pretty tired, and I think time is coming to get it replaced!
Latest Forum Posts