Motoring Discussion > 300 Mile Long Puddle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Notdoctorchris Replies: 9

300 Mile Long Puddle - Notdoctorchris
I've just driven from Somerset to Sunderland in a 300 mile long puddle!
Either I was following the torrential rain as it moved North-Eastwards or it was following me.
Plucky little Panda Cross (4x4) coped well with the drenched road surfaces.
I have to say that the standard of driving in difficult conditions was remarkably high. Appropriate speed for the conditions, most drivers leaving plenty of space between themselves and other vehicles, plenty of signalling and very few sudden, foolish lane changes.
A hard drive but rather satisfying.
 300 Mile Long Puddle - Iffy
This morning's forecast said something about a belt of heavy rain moving across the country.

Seems the forecast was right.

300 Mile Long Puddle - RattleandSmoke
Wasn't too bad here in Manchester, got a about 30 minutes of heavy rain and the evening ended in glorious sunshine. That said when I was driving it reminded me I need to buy some new wiper blades, it seems 10,000 miles is the limit on a Panda!
 300 Mile Long Puddle - Dave_
>> it seems 10,000 miles is the limit on a Panda!

i find wiper blades perform "as new" for about 12 months and slowly deteriorate after that, regardless of mileage. Just put a new set on the Mondeo after about 25k/18 months, but lorry blades can cover 100,000 miles in that time before they need replacing.
 300 Mile Long Puddle - rtj70
Rattle cleaning the wiper blades and the screen properly can make a difference.

But new wipers don't cost the earth either. No matter what I did with the driver side blade on my car from new it would smear. I got a new blade soon after delivery (charged to expenses). I really tried all sorts but felt it was a safety issue.
 300 Mile Long Puddle - RattleandSmoke
The Panda issue has been discussed on the Panda site, a lot there have swapped to Bosch blades and it makes a massive difference apparently. The problem I have with mine is they squeak if the rainfall is quite light.
 300 Mile Long Puddle - TeeCee
>> The problem I have with
>> mine is they squeak if the rainfall is quite light.
>>

If, as is most common, they squeak in one direction (upstroke or downstroke), tweak 'em! Either twist the wiper arm slightly with two pairs of pliers working against each other or just grab the blade and use brute. You want to be twisting the thing so it's more inclined to "flip" to the direction that it squeaks in.

Always works for me.
 300 Mile Long Puddle - No FM2R
>>tweak 'em!

If that works I may declare undying love for you...

I am off outside to try it and then wait for rain.
 300 Mile Long Puddle - VxFan
>> I need to buy some new wiper blades, it seems 10,000 miles is the limit on a Panda!

My Vectra-C is just over 6 years old and has 78,000 miles on the clock. Still on the original wiper blades - front and rear. No signs of the rubber perishing yet either.

300 Mile Long Puddle - zookeeper
£3.00 a set from wilko's last time i changed em
Latest Forum Posts