Motoring Discussion > Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 38

Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - L'escargot
I've only had one diabetic retinopathy test before and I followed the advice not to drive within two hours of having the test. It was a really sunny day and, wearing prescription sunglasses, I had no problem whatsoever as a passenger. At the time I felt that I would have been quite safe driving immediately after the test. (For what it's worth, the test didn't show up any problems relating to my borderline diabetes.) I've now got a another appointment, and I'm wondering whether to drive myself the two miles home from the test location. Has any Car4player driven immediately after a diabetic retinopathy test?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 17 Aug 12 at 12:50
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - IJWS14
I have not had the test, my wife has.

She was struggling to focus after the test, had taken the advice and engaged a chauffeur (me).

I wouldn't.

Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Falkirk Bairn
Advised by hospital not to drive!

You go against advice

and

Accident on way home you could be charged with an offence and Ins co could refuse to pay........if they found out.
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Mr. Ecs
I've had the test over the last two years. Advised not to drive. Don't do it. Found especially late afternoon darkness in winter, star burst effect with street and car lights. Slight blurred vision. Wears off after a couple of hours so not worth the risk L'es. Always get other half to pick me up.
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - VxFan
>> Has any Car4player driven immediately after a diabetic retinopathy test?

Yes, every year since I started having them.

It only affects my short range vision. i.e the station name on the stereo is slightly blurred but still just about readable.
From the end of the bonnet onwards it's been fine. I can still read a numberplate at the legal distance, and all streetsigns, etc.

Everyone is different though. Don't risk it if you feel you're a hazzard to others.
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Cliff Pope
My wife has had several retinopathy tests, and I have, I think, always collected her.
It's only 3 miles away from a rural practice, and we have been tempted to ignore the advice out of convenience.

I have a feeling that perhaps she did drive home the last time, but not immediately. She did some shopping and had tea in a cafe, then drove home very carefully. But these are rural roads you can't do more than 20 mph anyway.

The danger must always be that the subject herself is not in the best position to judge ability - alcohol being the prime example of that fallacy. And diabetes itself sometimes gives a dangerous illusion of capability.
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Lygonos
Don't do it.

The drops they use to dilate your pupils affect focussing ability and make it easier to be dazzled.

You can probably get away with it but not really worth it for the sake of 3 or 4 hours.

As VX says distance focus isn't affected so much, but if you try looking at the speedo, then at the traffic, then in mirror, then at traffic, then at speedo.... you might not be quite so awesome,

Cause a crash and I'll hear your insurer laughing up here.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 17 Aug 12 at 14:26
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - zookeeper
my second retinopathy didnt require drops.....new camera technology. i was in and out of the clinic within 5 mins , my first visit after diabetes diagnosis did however require the drops.....i dont know what all the panic was about, wear sunglasses dont drive....load of nonscence
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - devonite
Good grief! - you give your missus a Tanner for her birthday, and wont "Splash-out" a couple of Bob for a 2 mile Taxi ride! - You Sir, are man after my own heart! ;-)
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Clk Sec
>> wont "Splash-out" a couple of Bob for a 2 mile Taxi ride!

Perhaps taxis in L'escargo's neck of the woods are as scarce as buses.
>> Perhaps taxis in L'escargot's neck of the woods are as scarce as buses.
>>

The only time they are difficult to get is when they are tied up taking schoolchildren to or from school.
>> Yes, every year since I started having them.

Correction. Not the 1st year. I got a lift into town by my dad, then caught the bus home. Trouble was I couldn't read the bus timetable on the lamp post but knew I had to catch the number 32. Fortunately the bus driver confirmed it was the correct bus for my destination.
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Runfer D'Hills
At the ( hopefully slight ) risk of offence Dave. You have at least alluded to the possibility that you er, um, carry weight? Have you looked into losing a bit to maybe counteract some elements of the diabetes? Please don't take this as jibing, it's a serious and possibly ever so slightly helpful and or gentle nudge in a positive direction. Oh Jeez I've got that so wrong haven't I ? Not meant that way honest....

Ignore me !!!!
What Humphster means is that if you have type 2 diabetes and are a lardo, the most effective treatment BAR NONE to reduce complications and avoid ending up needing increasing amounts of medication... is to lose blubber.
Your bedside manner is a credit to you, Lygonos.
It really has improved with age.

Like fine morphine.

It's not a joke though - keep being a lardo and the diabetes will worsen over time - shift the extra 3 or 4 stones and watch it possibly disappear, or at least certainly improve (along with the high blood pressure and cholesterol).
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 17 Aug 12 at 20:56
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - zookeeper
im 52 and 12 stone wet through i have the blood pressure of an 18 year old, but have type two diabetes mellitus...its gunna get me in the end...just like old age
12 stone's a lot when you are only 4ft tall.

Seriously tho, type 2 diabetes is a common illness - there is a very strong genetic element attached to it - there are many factors at work that lead to it developing - poor lifestyle choices help to bring it on for the majority, but for some it is inevitable.

In the same vein - smokers are far more likely to get lung cancer, but non-smokers do get it too.
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Fullchat
'Your bedside manner is a credit to you, Lygonos.'

:)))
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 17 Aug 12 at 22:19
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Manatee
Pal of mine 'cured' his diabetes by losing weight. He's 86 now so it isn't always a ticket to falling off the perch early. I do realise it can be serious.
>> At the ( hopefully slight ) risk of offence Dave.

No offence taken Humph. I've been nagged most of my life by doctors, etc. I just switch off after a while.

At the moment my blood pressure is fine, my blood/sugar is fine, and my cholestrol level is fine. I get regular 6 month check ups. Granted my blood/sugar level did rise, but touch wood it's back below 7 now - it was at my last check up. I'll find out on Monday when I get my next set of results back from my recent donation of the red stuff.

Way I look at it is, If I don't eat I'll die. If I eat I'll die. I might as well eat what I enjoy and be damn well happy rather than starve or eat rabbit food and be miserable.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Aug 12 at 00:29
Ah the good old fatalist attitude that helps to keep Scotland the heart disease capital of the Solar System.

Just admit that you enjoy eating crap more than looking after yourself and save the philosophical tripe.

No need to eat "rabbit food" - just don't eat so much rubbish/cheese/piles of starch/peanuts/packets of guff etc.

No-one lives for ever but diabetes complications aren't just death - add in blindness, kidney failure, and having bits of foot removed.

I haven't met a man (and it's usually men who manage it) with diabetes who lost a few stone who feels the effort not worthwhile - they are fitter and happier and come to see me less (result!).

And whoever created 'energy drinks' should be burned at the stake.

;-)
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Dog
>>Way I look at it is, If I don't eat I'll die. If I eat I'll die. I might as well eat what I enjoy and be damn well happy rather than starve or eat rabbit food and be miserable<<

That's right DD, y'all could lose 30 stone, be all nice n' silth-like, and still get knocked down by a serial bus.
True, and the driver is more likely to see you if you resemble Bibendum.
I've never heard Michelin Man referred to as Bibendum b4 (strange, but true!)
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - WillDeBeest
Monsieur Bibendum, s'il vous plaît.
>> I've never heard Michelin Man referred to as Bibendum b4 (strange, but true!)
>>

Sacré bleu et zut alors. You'll have to get out more! tinyurl.com/ch88kmz
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 18 Aug 12 at 09:33
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - devonite
There was a "Study" published a couple of days ago, (by Experts no less!) that declared eating Egg-yolks was as bad for you as Smoking!! - who the heck is going to be on 20 Yolks a day?
>>Egg-yolks was as bad for you as Smoking<<

Ah yes: Spence JD, et al. Egg yolk consumption and carotid plaque. Circulation epub 31 July 2012

= taurus excretum.
>> .............. who the heck is going to be on 20 Yolks a day?
>>

Cool Hand Luke ate 50 hard boiled eggs in an hour. tinyurl.com/bpxhzt5
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 18 Aug 12 at 13:45
How's about 32 eggs in one minute: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEsAANvuUEE&feature=related

>> How's about 32 eggs in one minute: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEsAANvuUEE&feature=related

Cool Hand Takeru.
Magnifico building, I used to cop eyes on it in the 70's when I was driving around in a Bedford TK.
Have you been on the Vimto again, Dog?
:)
Don't be cheeky C/S en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheeky_Vimto

:}
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - Avant
"....who the heck is going to be on 20 Yolks a day? "

Someone driving a Yolkswagen.
 Driving soon after a diabetic retinopathy test - CGNorwich
Wouldn't shell out for one of those.