Motoring Discussion > Jam on that handbrake Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 4

Jam on that handbrake - Iffy
Saw an odd coming together in a service station car park on the M1 today.

There were two rows of parked cars on a slope, including a BMW 3 series parked in front of a Renault Megane.

BMW man pulled away, unknowingly releasing the Megane because it was resting against his rear bumper.

The Megane's steering was slightly to the left, so it rolled into another Renault which was parked next to the BMW.

BMW man stopped when he realised what had happened and was informing the owner of second Renault as I arrived.

The Megane was resting against the second Renault, which meant he could not get away.

We found a piece of wood, chocked the Megane, enabling second Renault man to extricate his car.

Everyone left the scene, no sign of the Megane owner, who will presumably never know how his car came to be across three parking spaces with its wheels chocked.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 21:44
 Jam on that handbrake - swiss tony
New one, with electric parking brake??
 Jam on that handbrake - Slidingpillar
Other than in my garage which is nice and flat, I always park a car in gear.
 Jam on that handbrake - rtj70
When I came back to my car a 3-4 months back at the Trafford Centre, there was a BMW 3 series apparently abandoned and touching my car. It was a right angles to the roadway. We'd heard an announcement for a driver to return to their car - and yep it was the BMW driver.

All we can figure is it had not had the parking brake (manual/normal and not EPB) engaged and the wind had blown it. It was very windy. And after it had moved someone had parked in it's space making the whole scene a little strange.

So cars can easily be parked and roll even if they don't have EPB!

I can see how you can leave a car with EPB not engaged. On mine it applies automatically when stopped when you take off the seatbelt or stop the car. Open the drivers door and it won't apply automatically. Not sure what it does when you stop the car at that point. Or open another door instead of drivers. But one could assume the EPB applies automatically and it might not.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 22:53
 Jam on that handbrake - bathtub tom
Perhaps handbrake on rear discs?

I've seen a car 'stopped' by another in a car park and assumed it had rolled back because the brakes had cooled down, effectively releasing the handbrake.

I've now trained SWMBO into applying the footbrake as she puts on the handbrake, after demonstrating how many more clicks the practice makes it.

I've given up on her pressing the button as she applies it! ;>(
Latest Forum Posts