Motoring Discussion > mobile phone driving bans do not work Miscellaneous
Thread Author: retgwte Replies: 15

mobile phone driving bans do not work - retgwte
news.techeye.net/science/mobile-phone-driving-bans-do-not-work
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - Dave
There was another study published a little while ago that came to the same conclusion - that there was no impact on the number of deaths and serious injuries (although not necessarily the actual number of accidents).

That's one of the reasons the ever cautious (and safety conscious) Swedish government haven't yet introduced a phone ban. Plus the fact they realise that using a hands free instead of a hand set is possibly no less distracting, as it's the conversation that appears to be the problem, not the holding of the handset.

mobile phone driving bans do not work - Ian (Cape Town)
Our locals have come up witn adeterrance plan - catch you on the phone without a handsfree, and the phone is confiscated for 24 hrs.
Then you have to get down to the traffic dept and recalim in.
Inconvenience the miscreants, that's what i say!
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - Cliff Pope
>> it's the conversation that appears
>> to be the problem, not the holding of the handset.
>>

Everybody knows that it is much more difficult to concentrate on driving if someone is trying to talk to you. The only answer is to build all cars with driver enclosures like taxicabs to isolate the driver from passengers, and jamming devices to stop phones working.

mobile phone driving bans do not work - John H

>> Everybody knows that it is much more difficult to concentrate on driving if someone is
>> trying to talk to you.
>>
>>

Research shows that, of all activities such as phone/satnav/radio/passenger/etc. distractions in the cabin, it is the fact that you are talking to someone not in your vicinity that has the most effect on losing driving concentration.

mobile phone driving bans do not work - L'escargot
>> Everybody knows that it is much more difficult to concentrate on driving if someone is
>> trying to talk to you.

It's even more difficult if you''re hard of hearing like me.
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - RattleandSmoke
I find it is far easier to get distracted when people are talking to me as well and also sometimes listening to the radio. I get so involved with the music that I once or twice I have driven more than a mile without even realising I was driving. And there would be several lights in that distance.

It is worse when it is roads you know well, because it is easier to go into autopilot mode.

I once had a driving instructor who never stopped talking, so ditched him.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 25 Aug 12 at 11:52
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - MD
I am constantly aware of oncoming drivers drifting across the line towards me. All of them with their heads/eyes down to the right of the steering wheel and I guess wearing their thumbs out texting, dialling or updating. Given that the majority of people are right handed I am confident that this is what is happening. To date I have never seen a 'drift' to the nearside.

Also I would ban the wearing of hoods in cars and also of in or over the ear phones with massive fines for those that erred. Just my tuppenyworth.
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - Fursty Ferret
Know exactly what you mean, Martin. Invariably on a motorway, drifting along a about 60mph in complete ignorance. Thought I was about to see one of them pile into the car in front today after an accident slightly further up the motorway. Last minute swerve into the fortunately empty hard shoulder but I reckon they were less than a second from disaster.

A far more effective punishment would be confiscation of the offending iPhone...
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - Manatee
That article pretty well sums up my instinct. People are either inclined to put effort and the required level of attention into their driving or they aren't, regardless of what they are doing.

Sensory overload is a modern phenomenon and an epidemic addiction. Watch a group of youngsters in a town centre pub. Talking, texting, facebooking, watching video, saturated in loud music. Take their phones away and the addicts among them would distract themselves with something else while driving.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 26 Aug 12 at 09:31
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - Old Navy
This morning I was waiting to turn right at traffic controlled crossroads with a right turn filter light. There was a gap after a few cars and then another car and I judged the gap to be too small for me to turn right and the filter light was due to come on. I then realised that the car after the gap was only doing about 20 mph and slowing, had the lights changed and the filter light failed, (I know the sequence)? No, the slow car trundled through the junction at about 15 mph with the driver texting furiously. The filter light came on just before he passed so he went through a red with his head down. So glad I treat all drivers as brain dead.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 26 Aug 12 at 15:13
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - Iffy
White van man camped in the middle land of the M1 on Friday.

Forearms resting on the wheel while using both thumbs to operate a smart phone or small tablet.

mobile phone driving bans do not work - Ambo
Confiscating the phone might have some effect, confiscating the car would.

mobile phone driving bans do not work - Clk Sec
>> confiscating the car would.

I couldn't agree more. As long as these people get no more than a slap on the wrist, they'll continue to 'phone and text while driving.
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - henry k
A Jaguar solution - no talking on the mobile :-)

Ebay preview.tinyurl.com/95ba8s2
 mobile phone driving bans do not work - Fullchat
Problem is that this generation seems to walk around mesmerised by this piece of electronic gadgetry welded to their hand held out infront of them.
Latest Forum Posts