Motoring Discussion > digital tachograph Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 6

digital tachograph - zookeeper
hi gang, ive signed up with an agency and have been advised to obtain a digital tachograph licence
another string in my bow apparently to improve my chances of gainful employment
any info from you guys would be much appreciated... van driving isnt my thing but im a bit
desperate to do any thing at the mo....thanks zooo
 digital tachograph - No FM2R
www.dtco.vdo.com/generator/www/com/en/vdo/dtco/faq/general/faq_en.html

All you ever want to know.............
 digital tachograph - bathtub tom
I'm sure a granny'll be along sooner or later to give you all the advice you need.
 digital tachograph - Dave_
>> I'm sure a granny'll be along sooner or later

Will I do in the meantime? :)

Any goods vehicle bigger than 3.5t must be fitted with a tachograph (and limited to 56mph). Those newer than about 06 plate will have a digital tacho, and you need a smart card to be legally allowed to drive one for work. Cards need renewing every 5 years and cost (I think) 38 quid, they can be applied for online if you already have a photo driving licence and a biometric passport; otherwise you apply by post and supply some ID.

Having a smart card merely allows you to drive digi-equipped lorries; you still need to hold the right category of licence as well.

Agency driving work can be quite arduous but it's entirely possible to make a living from it, and many people do. Where in the country are you, anywhere near Leicester?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 24 Aug 12 at 22:13
 digital tachograph - Pat
Here is a link that will be very helpful for you.

www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1082121908&type=RESOURCES

If you look in the box on the right you can download various booklets and information for the use of a digital tachograph,

Application pack for a card can be applied for online here

www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx

Just tick the ST1/A box

Now for the hard bit, drivers hours regulations can be found and downloaded here

www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Rules%20on%20Drivers%20Hours%20and%20Tachographs%20-%20Goods%20Vehicles%20in%20GB%20and%20Europe.pdf

Understanding them and complying with them is extremely important and isn't easy when only part of your work comes under those regulations as yours will.

My email address is in my profile Zookeeper, I have loads of paperwork etc on this sort of thing so just contact me if you need any further help.

Pat
 digital tachograph - Pat
Here is a digi tacho simulator you can download and get used to where the buttons are and what they do.

tinyurl.com/cnhzlyd

You can do Lands End to John O Groats in 3 minutes flat as long as you have a 45 minute break along the way:)

Hours of fun!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sat 25 Aug 12 at 04:37
 digital tachograph - zookeeper
thanks for all the info guys....i will look into it further......oh yes i am in leicester
Latest Forum Posts