Motoring Discussion > Anyone know much about the car market in Australia Buying / Selling
Thread Author: idle_chatterer Replies: 10

Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - idle_chatterer
So, after an all too brief sojourn in one ex-colony it's off to another for a couple of years for the idly chattering family - Australia. And this time we'll need a car.....

I can't be bothered with a company car as I've lost the whole status-consciousness which I'd reluctantly admit I had previously in the UK, also I intend to drive as little as possible having got rather used to a life reliant on public transport so Mrs I-C will use it the most I expect in ferrying the junior I-Cs around plus maybe some weekend camping trips.

Cars seem expensive, there's a 'luxury car tax' on anything with a prestige badge and the asking price for 'nearly new' doesn't seem to offer the same bargains as it does in the UK.

So, I'm looking for suggestions, large petrol engines appear to be the norm with fuel slightly cheaper than the UK, diesel and estate derivatives of Toyotas, Hondas etc don't seem to be imported.

I'm thinking maybe a Toyota Camry but the silly-engined V6/V8 Holdens and Fords tempt me - a Mondeo Estate or a Passat estate (both available with diesel engines) appear to be priced as prestige cars. Whatever we get needs to accommodate 4 people in comfort, have a large boot and probably a tow-bar for bike racks and a camping trailer.

Has anyone got experience of the Aussie car marketplace - there's a strong possibility I'll sell it on in 2 years (continuing our expat wandering) so residuals and ease of resale are important ?
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - Old Navy
This will give you some prices, I have only rented cars when visiting Australia. For city use anything of a suitable size will do, but remember that the cities are spread out with many dual carriageways, if you are intending long distance use a big engine is best. Public transport can be poor once in the suburbs.

www.autotrader.com.au/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 26 Aug 12 at 15:52
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - Stuu
My sister has a 2008 Camry and loves it to pieces. Big, comfy, reasonable on fuel and perfect for pottering about town or doing 1000 miles in air con comfort. Has been totally reliable.

Fuel is apparently cheapest on Wednesdays so theres usually a rush on.

My sister said that car dealers are pigs and very happy to do you over, even main dealers though the latter tend to do it through poor service and high prices rather than selling you an unroadworthy car.
She actually checks service items herself after its been in having marked them, so she can check they have been changed. I think they paid about $15000 for their Camry a year ago with 20k on the clock from a main dealer.

If you have any specific questions I can ask my BIL who has lived there for ten years and bought his fair share of dogs.
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - Jim M
Depends where you are going. East Coast, good drivers Camry is very good. West Coast rubbish drivers, give yourself max vision Landcruiser / Pajero (a bit extreme but I hope you get my drift). We first had a Saab Conv in Perth my wife felt very insecure so we purchased Pajero (Shogun) with sat nav - it changed our life as she felt safe.
She now has iX35 new approx 27-32k AUD. Good deals to be had on Gumtree Perth and Quokka Perth (small ads). Auto trader equivalent is www.tradingpost.com.au
Yes the secondhand dealers are not so good, a franchise is better
I now have a X6 which I can drive without been slagged off as it is small alongside a "cruiser"
Fines are steep 1400 AUD for 33 km over on country dual track. Despite what the "pollies" say the boom is not over so they can charge me Bentley prices for an X6 and fine the heck out of me! Come on over enjoy the sun and the BBQ.....we will be citizens next month after arriving in Jan 2008.
This is the"lucky country"
Jim
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - legacylad
When I was over there quite a few of my friends ran Subaru Outbacks.
Some new, others very old...although they were standard Legacy estates for which there was a buoyant second hand market.Much like the more rural parts of California.
Thanks all for the advice, we'll be in Melbourne so hopefully the standard of driving will be ok.

Two suggestions appeal - the Subaru and the Hyundai, next consideration is engine choice, I like powerful diesels (my last was a 330d) but I'm also tending towards auto, has anyone got experience of the Subaru boxer diesel or perhaps I'd consider an LPG derivative ?

I've a feeling the Subaru diesel lacks low-end torque and it's manual only ? As to dealers - seems like I need to be careful, any views on consumer protection ?
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - PeterS
My brother and his ifs have been in Melbourne for about 5 years now; they bought a Ford Fiesta automatic!! But they both use the tram to get to work, so it's just used at the weekends I think.
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - Gromit
"the Subaru diesel lacks low-end torque and it's manual only"

Correct on both counts - the diesel drives more like a petrol (I tried one while my Legacy 2 litre petrol auto estate was being serviced, and found it too easy to stall), and only offered in manual - with electric handbrake and no hill-holder clutch, which makes it awkward to drive - in the UK and Ireland market.

I'm fond of the Subaru auto - relaxed for cruising, but changes eagerly when you want to get a move on. AFAIK 2.5 4-cylinder and 3 (3.6 on latest mode) 6-cylinder petrols are the main offering in Auz, the US and middle east. Legacy and Outback are the same body shell, so plenty useful space in the back of both. I'd certainly have another.

Or, if you want a smaller footprint, look to the Forester. Had one before Legacy - not quite so spacious, but better on bad road surfaces thanks to the extra ride height. Popular with emergency services in Auz too - there's a factory-built 'surf rescue' version prepared for fitting radios, beacons etc with a more basic spec than the standard car.
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - legacylad
All my overseas acquaintances have auto petrol models.
The variant I am 'allowed' to drive in CA is a standard 2.5 Outback. It is her third in succession and is very impressive in blizzard conditions, even on standard tyres.Not many blizzards in Oz though I would imagine. She drives it pretty hard up & down Hway 50 between Sacramento & Tahoe and only averages 25mpg. Not its best quality.
 Anyone know much about the car market in Australia - Runfer D'Hills
I must be getting old. I can clearly remember thinking a family car which achieved 25-30mpg was quite good. Now anything less than 40 mpg seems a bit thirsty.

I suspect it'll not be long before 50 mpg is seen as a reasonable expectation. Even my large automatic 200bhp German estate car gets pretty close to that in daily use without really trying.
>> I suspect it'll not be long before 50 mpg is seen as a reasonable expectation.
>> Even my large automatic 200bhp German estate car gets pretty close to that in daily
>> use without really trying.
>>

It seems that cars that will average mid 30s mpg are considered to be economical in Aus, I looked at the cost of an E250CD Estate and it's approaching GBP80K which seems a little pricey to me.
Latest Forum Posts