Motoring Discussion > Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: zuave Replies: 15

Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - zuave
Morning all,

Once again I have been pondering cars.

At some point we will need to replace the wife's 1.8i Astra estate.
I have been trying to find something that is a non VAG offering that could be considered as an alternative to the Golf 1.4 twin-charger "auto" or the octavia 1.8T "auto".

Must be an auto as the wife is not allowed to drive a manual.
No bigger than the "05 astra estate she currently has (or close enough, I think the Octavia is 2" longer).
Prefer a hatchback but an estate may suffice. Def.not a saloon
Do not do enough miles for a diesel to be worthwhile and, simply, we would prefer a petrol engine

The new Astra or Focus do not offer a petrol engine with reasonable poke. usually we would buy a car that is around 2 years old, not new.

I have been browsing autotrader but keep returning to Seat, Audi, VW, Skoda as the only company offering a reasonably swift ("warm-hatch",-). But I am put off VAG offerings due to the potential 7 gear DSG problems and, with the 1.4 twin charger engines, the complexity and "oil drinking" issues.

Anything else i should be looking at?
many thanks
Zuave.

Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Bill Payer
New Merc A Class? Maybe it's too dear, but Merc do very aggressive finance offers which *might* make it a possibility? The auto is a dual clutch thing too, though. No idea what it's like.
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Old Navy
KIA Rio 1.4 Auto, or a Ceed 1.6 Auto?

www.kia.co.uk/new-cars/range/compact-cars/new-rio.aspx
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 28 Aug 12 at 12:26
Thanks for the feedback to date. The A-class looks interesting. The Kia engines lack the punch I am seeking and only seem to do a 1.4 petrol. Hyundai also seem to only have a "weak" petrol engine choice.
Wonder what the pricing of the 2013 A class will be like?
best try a "google" and see!
Thanks
Zuave
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Iffy
A MINI Cooper auto, and particularly a Cooper S auto, would have all the grunt you seek:

www.mini.co.uk/model-range/hatch/mini-cooper-s/information/

Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - mikeyb
Lexus CT200 - not sure on your budget, but petrol with CVT box. Likely to be reliable.
Last edited by: mikeyb on Tue 28 Aug 12 at 21:02
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Ted

My dragon loves her Nissan Note 1.6 slushbox auto. No daft paddles just a normal change.
Added bonus of a chain drive cam.

Ted
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Lygonos
Job jobbed.

tinyurl.com/job-jobbed

Who cares that it's 6 yrs old.

(postcode fake on search)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 28 Aug 12 at 21:36
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - MD
A lot of car for the money, but boy do they drink the juice.
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Dog
You took the werds right out of my mouse Martine.
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Londoner
How about a Toyota Auris? They are running out the current model, so you should get better deals than normal on new cars (plus it's tried & tested), and good deals also on "pre-loved" cars.
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - legacylad
A lot to be said for a Forester turbo. Quietly understated performance, reliable, poor resale value but hey, run it into the ground and 'cheap' to buy initially at 6yo. If you drive low miles pa you can live with the poor mpg equated to devaluation on a newer car.
Dare to be different.
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - henry k
>> How about a Toyota Auris? They are running out the current model, so you should get better deals than normal on new cars (plus it's tried & tested), and good
deals also on "pre-loved" cars.
>>
If it is the same auto Auris I hired a few years ago then IMO forget it.
As I reported before it is by far the worse car I have ever driven. After 24 hours I swopped it for old fashioned re badged xyz Chevvy.
Lygonos.
Yes, very nice, do like those. Instead of spending 12-18k on a car, spend 6k on the car and use the remainder for fuel.-). Not a bad idea.

Also above the Mini Cooper S was mentioned. Yes, like that, thanks, added to the list.

Toyota Auris....Toyota in general. Searched them and could not find a single "spirited" petrol engine (+ auto box) anywhere in the Toyota range....nor Mazda nor, and this surprised me, Honda!

I have noticed the BMW 1 series have some petrol engines that are quite nippy, shall add those to my list also.

Rgds
Zuave
 Small-ish petrol automatic, the options? - Lygonos
Realistically gets 25mpg in mixed driving - not as bad as many think.

Once you start tuning past 300bhp and using such performance it goes to the teens.

My manual one did 25-27mpg with a mix of urban and 'spirited' driving - the autoboxes appear to be legendary for reliability as well.

Engine is as smooth as an inline 6 although doesn't sound quite as sweet as a BMW 6 when being given a bash.

Like a Lance Armstrong version of a Jimny, Martin ;-)
Lygonos - Thanks again.
Know what you mean about a "6" - my XJD is not the best sounding 6 but, when gunning it, it does sound like a WW2 tank being given a Welly Full.-)

Yes, something to ponder on indeed regarding the Scoobie. reckon Herself will probably tilt towards a Mini or 1-Series mind......

Well, that's the list completed. Short list indeed but, on the bright side, come the time there will not be too much traveling and loads of test drives needed,-)!
Rgds
Zuave
Latest Forum Posts