Motoring Discussion > Want to drink and drive? There’s a pill for that Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 4

Want to drink and drive? There’s a pill for that - VxFan
They say the secret to a good invention is finding the solution to an everyday problem. So it’s strange that Arthur Kibble thinks he’s on to something by selling pills that could help drink-drivers pass breathalyser tests when they’re over the limit.

Already banned in America, the pills, which are claimed to lower the absorption of alcohol into the blood, giving a reading up to nine times lower than it should be, are legally on sale in the UK.

Kibble, a businessman from Birmingham who is selling the Indian-made pills online, said: “I am not advocating that motorists get blind drunk and then try to drive, but it does help you mentally. They are useful for those people who have two pints and are then banned for 12 months.”

blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/08/28/want-to-drink-and-drive-theres-a-pill-for-that/

-------------------

Personally speaking, I think someone should slip Kibble a cyanide pill into his drink.
 Want to drink and drive? There’s a pill for that - Kevin
If it genuinely reduces the amount of alcohol entering the bloodstream I can't see the problem, it's just like drinking low alcohol stuff isn't it? I'd love to be able to go out and have a real pint or glass of wine if I'm driving.

Unfortunately it reminds me of the claims for a certain brand of potato chip, er crisp, when we lived in the US. Fried in a fantastic new oil that could not be absorbed by the human intestinal tract they were virtually fat free and very popular until someone read the smallprint.

The many side effects included: vomiting, nausea, organ failure and rather charmingly - 'anal leakage'.
 Want to drink and drive? There’s a pill for that - jc2
Same side effects as some of the "miracle slimming pills"-what goes in one end comes out the other without the body absorbing it!
 Want to drink and drive? There’s a pill for that - Shiny
Probably just fructose. That has the same effect in the absence of glucose.
 Want to drink and drive? There’s a pill for that - No FM2R
I was thrown out of biology when I was 13, and I hadn't paid much attention before that but...

Surely if you get less alcohol in your blood stream you are *actually* less intoxicated, not just measured as so?

Kind of moot anyway, since these tablets would be taken by those pushing it, not those who want to be safe. And it'd probably encourage the wrong behaviour.

But all that to one side, surely you be less drunk?

Or am I revealing my shocking ignorance of all things medical/biological?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 21:01
Latest Forum Posts