Motoring Discussion > Upper age limit on car insurance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 10

Upper age limit on car insurance - L'escargot
One good reason for sticking to the same insurer, rather than chopping and changing every year, when you get past 70 is that insurers have an upper age limit for new customers.
 Upper age limit on car insurance - CGNorwich
I think you will find that many have scrapped that.

money.aol.co.uk/2012/04/03/car-and-travel-insurers-scrap-age-limits/
 Upper age limit on car insurance - Cliff Pope
True or not, isn't it a good argument for chopping and changing according to quote or other terms up to 70, and then sticking if you find you can't get any more quotes?

Or are you suggesting that people who reach 70 having had a long history of chopping and changing will find it more difficult to get insurance than those who have stuck faithfully with one insurer?
>> Or are you suggesting that people who reach 70 having had a long history of
>> chopping and changing will find it more difficult to get insurance than those who have
>> stuck faithfully with one insurer?
>>

No.

I've read my post again and I can't see that it can be interpreted as inferring that. I suppose I just didn't expect anyone to make a meal out of "rather than chopping and changing every year".

Delete the part within the commas, thus ..........

"One good reason for sticking to the same insurer,rather than chopping and changing every year, when you get past 70 is that insurers have an upper age limit for new customers."
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 2 Sep 12 at 16:33
 Upper age limit on car insurance - Cliff Pope

>>
>> "One good reason for sticking to the same insurer,rather than chopping and changing every year,
>> when you get past 70 is that insurers have an upper age limit for new
>> customers."
>>

But you would discover whether that was going to be the case when you applied for a new quote? If you found you couldn't get any more quotes because of age, you would stick with your present insurer. If you could, you would have the option of switching.

I don't really see how it would be a problem unless you had abandoned insurance at say age 69, and then attempted to get insurance at 70.

Surely the only really desperate thing to be reassured about is that your present insurers are not suddenly going to refuse to renew at 70, and then to find that no one else would either.
 Upper age limit on car insurance - No FM2R
>>I don't really see how it would be a problem

off the top of my head;

You move to a new insurer who are momentarily cheaper, but will refuse to insure you on the Jag you will buy next year, by which time your original insurer will not take you back since you exceed the maximum age for a new policy.

You move to a new insurer who increase your premium ridiculously because you will get a speeding fine, by which time your original insurer will not take you back since you exceed the maximum age for a new policy.

You move to a new insurer you will later refuse you comprehensive cover because of an accident you will have, by which time your original insurer will not take you back since you exceed the maximum age for a new policy.

There are examples where it can catch you out, and its worth being careful. If you don't think there's an issue, or it won't apply to you, then no need to worry about it.

But, in my opinion, it is worth being cautious.
>> I think you will find that many have scrapped that.

Some, but by no means all, have done.
 Upper age limit on car insurance - CGNorwich
I have just got myself a quote on money supermarket using the same details as on my current insurance but giving my age as 75.

I got 74 quotes, the cheapest being £183 with the LV (Liverpool Victoria) which is £30 cheaper than I'm paying at the moment!

I don't think there is any real problem or cause for concern.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 11:38
 Upper age limit on car insurance - rtj70
>> I don't think there is any real problem or cause for concern.

No but you might find lots of unwanted emails coming to you if you used a valid email address. Same goes for some phone calls.
 Upper age limit on car insurance - No FM2R
>>One good reason for sticking to the same insurer, rather than chopping and changing every year, when you get past 70 is that insurers have an upper age limit for new customers.

Certainly there is some truth in that. I'd still be getting renewal quotes every year, but I'd be more circumspect about changing.

And I'd be worried about more than just premium; what happens if I have an accident which is my fault, at what age do you start getting strict about medical certificates, how well do you manage risks with health implications etc. etc.

You need to avoid the ones that are simply cheaper one time, because returning to a previous insurer may not be possible. Whilst they may have been prepared to continue your insurance, they may not be willing to take it back again.

So I'd still get quotes every year, but I'd be MUCH more careful about changing.
 Upper age limit on car insurance - madf
I suppose I'll have to take care when I'm 110..
Latest Forum Posts