Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 13

Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - maltrap
Does anyone know how long it takes Haynes to bring out a manual on a new model ?

Just bought a new Polo, the model started in 2009 but the manual is not yet available.
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - Old Navy
I believe the decision is made at the three year point if sufficient cars have been sold. Then there is the production time to add assuming they decide to publish. My guess is that the three year point may be extended for cars with longer warranties.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 15:35
Thanks O N.
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - oilburner
It always helps to email them and ask too. I've done this a couple of times and always get a nice reply, even if it's along the lines of "no chance mate!"

Nice folks at Haynes, even if they still insist on saying "re-fitting is the reverse of removal".
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - Zero
New manuals, ie for any car released in the last 8 years, are useless. The Haynes manual, the one time bible, is now the spawn of the devil

Get a copy of VAG.COM off ebay.
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - DP
>> Get a copy of VAG.COM off ebay.

Good fun, VAG-COM (or VCDS as it is now called).

But as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to the kind of step by step mechanical repair information that you would use a Haynes manual for.

I do agree about the general decline in Haynes manual accuracy and quality. I remember changing an indicator stalk on my S60, which according to the Haynes manual involved deactivating the air-bag, removing the steering wheel which involves a load of faff with special tools for the airbag clock spring and all manner of nonsense. Several hours of work, and lots of potential for problems.

I took the column shroud off and had a nose. The securing screw for the stalk was accessible, so I undid it. Pulled the stalk and it popped off. Pushed the new one on and it popped in just fine. Refitted the securing screw, flicked the ignition on and tested to find it all worked fine. 2 min job, plus another 2 to remove / refit the cowling.
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - Shiny
HAYNES don't do car manuals for newer models as far as I can see, just jokey self-parodies.
Try getting a used copy of "ELSAWIN" off ebay. 100x more useful and much more info.
It is the same manuals the dealerships use.
Just had a look on E-bay at Elsawin, something i'd never heard of. Has anyone else used them ? Do they load up in computers o.k. I service my own cars but i'm a novice on computers !
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - Slidingpillar
I had the Haynes book for my Discovery.

A job in it took two people about an hour by my reckoning. Only me available and I could not believe it was that complicated. Rang a dealer I knew, who compared the job to something else very familiar to both of us and gave me the trick needed. I did the job in 10 minutes on my own.

Useful, but not a gospel.
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - spamcan61
>> New manuals, ie for any car released in the last 8 years, are useless. The
>> Haynes manual, the one time bible, is now the spawn of the devil
>>
>>
>> Get a copy of VAG.COM off ebay.
>>

By and large I agree, although I do find them sort of useful for basic facts and figures and maintenance stuff, that used to be in the manufacturer's user manual, those seem to be full of legal disclaimers and lectures on how driving kills giant pandas or whatever.
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - Dave_
>> "re-fitting is the reverse of removal"

But you swear in different places :)
 Volkswagen Polo V - HAYNES MANUALS - bathtub tom
>>Haynes: Retain tiny spring...
Translation: PINGGGG - "Where the hell did that go?"
>> >>Haynes: Retain tiny spring...
>> Translation: PINGGGG - "Where the hell did that go?"
>>
.*******
>>
>> Nice folks at Haynes, even if they still insist on saying "re-fitting is the reverse
>> of removal".
>>
I've been writing some assembly/ upgrade documents for my current client, and try and use that phrase at least once in each document :-)
Latest Forum Posts