Motoring Discussion > Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs - henry k
I have got a fine for being in a bus lane in The High in Oxford.
I am pretty familiar with Oxford and I am pretty sure there is no sign warning me that it is a bus lane and Google Earth seems to support me.
The whole road is restricted to buses, taxis etc during normal hours and I am well aware of the signs approaching from London.
I was not expecting to be done when exiting rather than entering the road.

I was exiting from Oriel Square along King Edward Street and then turned right into the High. Normally the dreaded bollards prevent entering King Edward Street but this time they were retracted so I used the non cobbled route out of town.

My daughter will investigate my claims. If I am correct , I suspect the money collectors will not accept my explanation.
What does the jury say.
 Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs - Zero

>> I was exiting from Oriel Square along King Edward Street and then turned right into
>> the High. Normally the dreaded bollards prevent entering King Edward Street but this time they
>> were retracted so I used the non cobbled route out of town.

Wow, brave given the videos of doom on here of people who have braved down bollards.
 Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs - Bromptonaut
Let's see what your daughter's site visit finds. Id expect there to be signage in advance of the bollards but it they're normally expected to be in operation it may not be evident on actually joining The High that its bus only.

If the Council reject your submissions you can appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal whose adjudicators are independent judicial officers. If you do so and lose then you'll have to pay the full amount rather than the discounted rate for an 'early plea'.

Worth a punt if you're convinced right is with you.
>> Id expect there to be signage in advance of the bollards but it they're normally expected to be in operation it may not be evident on actually joining The High that its bus only.
>>

I have "back pedalled"and I have revisited google Earth.
Bromptonaut , you are correct.
There is a restriction sign on the pole at the bollards hence no sign at The High.
I suspect others would likely fall into the same trap.

So I am guilty as charged and will pay up quietly!
(The woman in the office was wrong re signs at The High.)
 Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs - John H
>> I have got a fine for being in a bus lane in The High in
>> Oxford.

What was the time?

>> I am pretty familiar with Oxford and I am pretty sure there is no sign
>> warning me that it is a bus lane and Google Earth seems to support me.
>> The whole road is restricted to buses, taxis etc during normal hours and I am
>> well aware of the signs approaching from London.
>> I was not expecting to be done when exiting rather than entering the road.
>>
goo.gl/maps/wzi9C - view from one way
goo.gl/maps/IA5vM - from the other way
goo.gl/maps/Y1P45 indicates U turn advised

>> I was exiting from Oriel Square along King Edward Street and then turned right into
>> the High. Normally the dreaded bollards prevent entering King Edward Street but this time they
>> were retracted so I used the non cobbled route out of town.
>>
restrictions sign:
goo.gl/maps/zCmYl

Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs - John H
>> goo.gl/maps/wzi9C - view from one way
>> goo.gl/maps/IA5vM - from the other way
>> goo.gl/maps/Y1P45 indicates U turn advised
>>

sorry - order of links and descriptions a bit mixed up!
My post overlapped- got diverted by SWMBO.

John H
>>restrictions sign:
>>goo.gl/maps/zCmYl

Yes that is the one I found when "back pedalling. Another lesson learned.
Familiarity with road layout is not enough.

Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs - L'escargot
Here's some bus lane information. www.ticketfighter.co.uk/bus.htm
 Fined for being in a bus lane. No signs - MD
We don't go anywhere. 'snot that we can't afford to pay for petrol, parking, lunch 'n' stuff. It's the entrapment that we can't afford. You can be nicked for yakking on yer mobile, drinking from a bottle of water etc., (even when stationery) Picking yer nose (not in full control of said vehicle) and countless other crap, but what about the ridiculous signage that we all have to TRY and observe as well as driving and of course the 'missing' signage and also those placed incorrectly.

Latest Forum Posts